E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Retrofit CIC Combox to E9x with standard Radio professional HU

08-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #67
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungleaio View Post
It's pretty simple just go to nav and programme an address to go to and start the navigation, then go back to where you can stop the navigation. Have the stop navigation bit selected but don't press select. Then on which ever short cut button you want to program it too just press and hold.

That button will then stop any current navigation or start navigation to the last destination.

You may be able to program the button before you start the navigation but mine wouldn't let me when I tired it on mine earlier but that might because it was already programmed for that function.

The number buttons are fantastic, I don't have any programmed for radio presets, mine are

1 - Start/stop navigation
2 - Climate settings (I don't have a rest button so I can get the fans going if the engine is off)
3 - Map Overhead view
4 - Map Perspective
5 - Split screen on/off
6 - Brightness of the idrive screen (I don't really use this but I've not found another use for this button)
7 - Change the map between coloured or the grey version with the yellow/orange/red lines
8 - Night mode for the map

CIC wasn't a priority when I bought my car but it was a nice thing to have but I couldn't live without it now. I love having the maps on with the traffic reports. Also having a satnav stuck to the screen with wires to the cigarette lighter has not been missed.

I'm really looking forward to getting a combox installed, it should complete the package nicely.
Many thanks matey.
      08-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #68
dest
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E91 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post

Stage II:
Combox which MAY* give you
- 6FL connecting your ipod / iphone with standard usb cable

*depends on the software of your CIC and what hardware you buy. 6NR require different hardware to other options.

Ipod connection is of absolute importance to me, so would there be any way of knowing which I would have to buy to ensure it works?

Cheers for all the help
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #69
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Thanks sounds like a plan once I've decided will get it touch if thats ok
      08-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #70
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic77 View Post
Thanks sounds like a plan once I've decided will get it touch if thats ok
Sure bud.
      08-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #71
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dest View Post
Ipod connection is of absolute importance to me, so would there be any way of knowing which I would have to buy to ensure it works?

Cheers for all the help
Sorry, missed your response.
As far as its E series Combox (model number: BN2000) and not F series, it will give you 6FL.

All my CIC / combox had appropriate files. So Jammy has been really luck that it worked without any hassle. The CIC which I sold with DAB also has appropriate level of software.

I am installing a combox for somebody who has 2009 CIC and looking forward to see all the issues I come across.

I will update here once I gather all the info.
      08-25-2013, 04:52 AM   #72
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
BMW started combox on late 2010 cars and its ultimate solution for media.
It is optional and it can give you
- 6FL connecting your ipod / iphone with standard usb cable
- 6NF ability to stream the music over the bluetooth
- 6NR ability to play videos off you iphone / ipod + BMW applications (update Facebook status, tweets, internet radio)
- Bluetooth if you havn't had it.
- BMW internet
- BMW live

Guys
I have been asked multiple questions on combox retrofit in past 3 weeks. More or less people ask the same questions so I thought I'll put some FAQs here.

1- Why should I fit combox?

There are multiple reasons to have one. To start with, it gives you the ability to listen to your music just via standard apple cable (6FL).
It also gives you the album art.
It gives you ability to have internet on your car.
You can stream your music via bluetooth.
You can have BMW applications (6NR). Examples are face book, tweeter and some other applications.
You can listen to internet radio. You'll need to tether the data packet / internet through your network provider.

2- What should I choose? 6FL, 6NF, 6NR?

With combox you will get 6NF automatically (ability to stream the music) with coding.

For 6FL, you will need to buy additional USB fakra cable (£50) and USB + aux in socket if you do not have one already fitted on your car.
And coding for it.

For 6NR application, it can work on 6FL usb hub and additional coding required with correct software on your CIC. If your CIC has a latest software, then it requires FSC code insertion by the dealer.

For 6NR video, You will need to buy additional USB fakra cable, and USB + aux in (switchable b.w audio / video), Y cable which can support audio and video), Video signals cable, Aux signals carrier cable.

6FL + 6NF is must with this retrofit. And with coding you can enable the 6NR for bmw application.

However 6NR video capability is for those who want to have the video from your iphone on the CIC screen.

3- I have TCU/ Mulf/ Mulf 2/ Mulf high. Can I replace those with combox?

Yes, you can with correct hardware and software.

4- I have BMW assist. Will I be able to retain the BMW assist with this retrofit?

No, your beloved dealer does not allow to transfer your bmw assist account to a different IMEI (of combox).

5- Can I send a link of google maps to my car? Or can I find my car with BMW application?

Unfortunately, not. Since you are using your mobile phone to tether the internet and not via combox IMEI, therefore it is not possible.

6- Can I get it fitted in my car if I do not have bluetooth? I do not have any module in the boot?

Yes, it can be fitted with the correct kit. Though combox will be fitted at the front of the car to save the cost.
So you will have phone + combox options.

7- How do I know if I have a combox or something else?

Check the photos in the first post and it clearly shows you the combox. Check it in your car. And if cannot be bothered to check in your car, then go through the specs of your car and it should clearly states that you have a combox.

8- I already have a combox. Can I retrofit 6FL, and other options?

Yes, you can.
I had a car where the owner bought official 6FL kit (£275) from the dealer and I fitted it.
You do not require that kit as with appropriate software, you can have 6FL just by adding
-usb / aux in socket
-a cable
-coding

9- My car is late 2008- early 2009. I do not have 7 digits postcode search / insertion. Can I retrofit this?

Yes, you can. However you will have to get the firmware on your CIC updated.
If you go to your beloved dealer / indy, they will update it to the latest firmware, which require insertion of FSC code for 6NR. FSC code is not cheap and is in excess of £200.
You will require your CIC updated to specific firmware. You can go through the thread 'coders in UK' or simply ask me.

10- Can you update the maps while you flash my CIC?

Yes, I can provide FSC codes for map update (not for 6NR) and update your maps if your car is already with me.

I hope it helps others. I am going to add this to first post.
Disclaimer: I am in no way expert. So what I wrote may be slightly wrong. By all means, give me a shout to correct it.
      08-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #73
Poison32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 320 m sport

congrats jammy install looks amazing makan well done on the install i have ccc in my car (2005 55 plate)what would i need to upgrade to the cic and estimated cost cheers poison
      08-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #74
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison e90 View Post
congrats jammy install looks amazing makan well done on the install i have ccc in my car (2005 55 plate)what would i need to upgrade to the cic and estimated cost cheers poison
Thanks for the compliment.
You will need complete CIC kit and few other bits and bobs.
See a CIC in classified for sale by me, as it tells you exactly what you should buy.
      08-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #75
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Completely and utterly in awe....

Amazing job and one that would really add to anyone's car and driving experience.

Question to those saying they will get done when their warranty expires - is that because the media system won't be covered under it anymore as it wasn't "professionally" fitted? As far as I can tell all parts are genuine so is it not just a case of anything related to that install would perhaps be refused but anything unrelated it is fair game still warranty wise?

My thought process is I would like this but would like to keep my warranty and don't see it as a JB4 type of issue if that makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #76
oliyaoe93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i LCI e93

I need CIC Retrofit to my car

Hi @makkan00, just bought my LCI E93 a few weeks ago with non navigation. I am looking to retrofit CIC XD
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #77
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliyaoe93 View Post
Hi @makkan00, just bought my LCI E93 a few weeks ago with non navigation. I am looking to retrofit CIC XD
Hi
Kindly refer to this thread
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884265

At the moment, this is the only CIC I have. If it goes, it goes. Beauty is that it is combox compatible.
That thread also gives you rough idea on the cost of CIC / combox installation.
Ps: I can get the double scoop dashboard as well.
      09-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #78
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Came across this
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...ory&path=62_65
Worth of visiting the page to see what others pay for these services.
Considering that, guys had a bargains who retrofitted combox and other bits by me.
      09-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #79
edd335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Quote:
Came across this
http://bimmerretrofit.com/store/inde...ory&path=62_65
Worth of visiting the page to see what others pay for these services.
Considering that, guys had a bargains who retrofitted combox and other bits by me.
Not only is it less than half the price of bimmerretrofit but Sam does the physical install and the coding, from start to finish!

I decided was going to do a retrofit about a month ago. I opted for more than most and figured if going to do it, going to go all the way, so went with combox/6NR/6FL/6NF as well as the CIC. Massive shout out to Sam/Makkan00 for the faultless install, and for being so helpful in every way possible, a genuinely nice guy. Any one looking to get this installed and coded in the UK, he's your man, worth the drive even from way up north. And yes, that includes if you need your dash changed to a double scoop/you don't have CCC already like me and jammy, as you can obviously see from this write up!!!

Dont doubt, just do it, and get Sam to ACTUALLY do it LOL........ CIC ALL THE WAY
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #80
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Flashed another CIC today to enable 6NR.

The owner had Samsung Galaxy S3. I can confirm that internet / BMW online worked with it.
I could not test 6FL with android phone as the chap had ipod.
      09-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #81
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

I can confirm that since getting home I have tried the s3 with music and it works.
I dont normally use the phone for music thats why Sam couldn't test at time.
Overall great job and nice guy.
Well worth getting this job done.
Thanks sam.
Mike
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #82
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz
I can confirm that since getting home I have tried the s3 with music and it works.
I dont normally use the phone for music thats why Sam couldn't test at time.
Overall great job and nice guy.
Well worth getting this job done.
Thanks sam.
Mike
Thanks Mike, appreciate your feedback.
      10-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #83
Forbsk
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Fantastic job. I'm really interested in installing a USB and Aux connection in the centre console and was wondering how much this type of job would cost including parts. I currently only have the Aux in the centre console and the USK in the glove box and already have a combox (if that makes a difference). Please let me know as I am a newbie with an LCI e92.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #84
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:

4- I have BMW assist. Will I be able to retain the BMW assist with this retrofit?

No, your beloved dealer does not allow to transfer your bmw assist account to a different IMEI (of combox).

5- Can I send a link of google maps to my car? Or can I find my car with BMW application?

Unfortunately, not. Since you are using your mobile phone to tether the internet and not via combox IMEI, therefore it is not possible.
Will I be able keep the original combox fitted to my car & retain "BMW assist" & Google maps "Send to" car when the CIC Business Nav is upgraded to Pro? I use "Send to" car every day & would hate to lose it, ideally I'd like to gain "Send" routes from BMW Connected Drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #85
cage911
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e93 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbsk View Post
Fantastic job. I'm really interested in installing a USB and Aux connection in the centre console and was wondering how much this type of job would cost including parts. I currently only have the Aux in the centre console and the USK in the glove box and already have a combox (if that makes a difference). Please let me know as I am a newbie with an LCI e92.
Welcome to the forum Keith, I can retrofit USB/Aux unit for you but you will need someone like Sam (makkan00) to code your car and update your V.O. with $6FL.

You may want to consider retrofitting 6NF/6NR.
      10-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #86
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbsk View Post
You need
6FL socket (see classified)
Cable for it (approx £50-55)
Installation and coding

And
If you wish to retain aux-in, then running new aux-in connector/ cable to combox.
It becomes redundant when you use 6FL, as ipod is connected via standard apple usb cable.
But some members wishes to retain the aux-in.

All of above is applicable if you have combox already in your car.
      10-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #87
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Will I be able keep the original combox fitted to my car & retain "BMW assist" & Google maps "Send to" car when the CIC Business Nav is upgraded to Pro? I use "Send to" car every day & would hate to lose it, ideally I'd like to gain "Send" routes from BMW Connected Drive.
Ian
AFAIK, as we are retaining your original combox, and its settings, nothing should change in your car.

so with professional CIC, you should be able to retain all that.
Unfortunately sending route from BMW connected drive may not be possible, as we'll retain the OEM combox and its settings.
      10-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #88
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage911 View Post
Welcome to the forum Keith, I can retrofit USB/Aux unit for you but you will need someone like Sam (makkan00) to code your car and update your V.O. with $6FL.

You may want to consider retrofitting 6NF/6NR.

Cage and all those who are thinking of going for 6NF/6NR, I'd suggest you to try composite method rather Mini A/V socket.
I had it on my car and on another member's car and having few connectivity issues.