E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Buffing Difficult Angles on the Side of A Vehicle

04-22-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Buffing Difficult Angles on the Side of A Vehicle

In this 40-minute video, I discuss and show my technique for buffing complex curves and angles on the side of a vehicle. I discuss and show how to negotiate the various angles, dips and curves that you may encounter. The thing that I stress in this video is that you have to constantly pay attention to what the polisher is doing when you are working on areas like this. The sound of the polisher will constantly be changing (or talking to you as I call it), which gives you clues on how to proceed. It is this "talking" that the polisher is doing that will be your clue as to how much pressure to use and how to angle the polisher while buffing.

There is a LOT of watching that you need to do as I am working the polisher. Notice how I don't necessarily use a cross-hitch pattern of buffing like I would on a flat and open surface. Notice that I tend to use short buffing strokes in the dips. Notice that the pad NEVER stops rotating, which will happen if you apply too much pressure. You ALWAYS want the pad to rotate or the effectiveness of the machine will be greatly diminished. Watch and pay attention while learning!

Products and equipment used:

Orange 6" Hex-Logic pad (for a novice, a 5.5" Hex-Logic pad is a MUCH better, easier to use and preferred option).

Optimum Compound II

Porter-Cable 7424XP orbital sander (or polisher if you want to call it that)

16 x 24 Eagle Edgeless Blue Super Plus Microfiber Towel

Enjoy!

The Junkman

Last edited by Junkman2008; 11-21-2015 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Thank you for the great video Junkman! It's very educational indeed. I too have a Porter-Cable polisher and I didn't realized it was designed to be a sander in the first place!

My question for you is, how fast should I let the pad spin when I set it to speed 5? Is about 3 rounds per second about right?

What would you recommend as a good car polisher that is more powerful than the PC (doesn't take as long) but is not too expensive? ($150 or less?)

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
Thank you for the great video Junkman! It's very educational indeed. I too have a Porter-Cable polisher and I didn't realized it was designed to be a sander in the first place!

My question for you is, how fast should I let the pad spin when I set it to speed 5? Is about 3 rounds per second about right?
Watch my video series on machine polishing for novices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpie168 View Post
What would you recommend as a good car polisher that is more powerful than the PC (doesn't take as long) but is not too expensive? ($150 or less?)

Thanks again!
There is no such animal. That's like asking someone what car can they buy that is exactly like a BMW but cost a lot less. There's a reason that a BMW cost what it does and you get what you pay for.
      04-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Good stuff love your videos been watching a bunch of them recently. Learned alot. Not sure if you have a video on it but what would you recommend for wet sanding a scratch I have like 3 not too deep scratches about 2-3 inches in length obviously polishing then sealing/waxing after
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xtrai View Post
Good stuff love your videos been watching a bunch of them recently. Learned alot. Not sure if you have a video on it but what would you recommend for wet sanding a scratch I have like 3 not too deep scratches about 2-3 inches in length obviously polishing then sealing/waxing after
I have a better question. Are you planning on doing this on your BMW or just a piece of scrap panel from a junk yard?
      04-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #6
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Quote:
I have a better question. Are you planning on doing this on your BMW or just a piece of scrap panel from a junk yard?
So I should just keep polishing until there out?
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't know how I missed your question. Whether or not one should wet sand on paint depends on one of two things. One, if you don't know when it is necessary then you SHOULDN'T be doing it. Two, if you haven't been shown how to do it then you definitely shouldn't be doing it. I have put out videos that show HOW to do it on a very limited basis, provided the scratch is VERY light. If you fingernail can feel the scratch, you NEVER wet sand that. That requires a repaint.
      11-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #8
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Quote:
I don't know how I missed your question. Whether or not one should wet sand on paint depends on one of two things. One, if you don't know when it is necessary then you SHOULDN'T be doing it. Two, if you haven't been shown how to do it then you definitely shouldn't be doing it. I have put out videos that show HOW to do it on a very limited basis, provided the scratch is VERY light. If you fingernail can feel the scratch, you NEVER wet sand that. That requires a repaint.
haha it's all good. I did a whole paint correction on my car minus the roof and I have like two scratches that I can feel with my fingernail and a few scratches that didn't come out after a 4 step polish in those areas so I'll probably do a very very light wet sand that part of the roof/hood. thanks for everything your videos are great. I need to do another detail to remove swirls from car washes they were hand car washes but they obviously did not take the same care as me doing it . just haven't had much time to do it myself.
oh yeah and thanks!
Appreciate 0