E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > The IOWA thread

07-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #1695
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Sedan BSR approved

I figure you were not going, are you? Shoot me a text if you are. I need someone to hold my hand.

Ranjha most of the people in this thread are ex Subaru/Mitsu owners (Brian the truth will set you free). When we were excommunicated from the meets due to our new German digs and WERND's affinity for extra capers, then none of us could heed the wise words of "Wrap it before you tap it" which lead to a mass of little ones whom are know as "The auto boomers"
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #1696
RuSport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybfr View Post
:shakesfistatkids: I think when I buy out my car next month my next purchase should be a vasectomy....

Hey Ru are you going to Mullets on Tuesday?
I was planning on it, but then was reminded I have to take my daughter to swim lessons. Are you going? I think it starts at 6, I may come after lessons with the girls. I don't think I have seen your car yet.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #1697
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep

You rode in it the day we drove all around town trying to find the right prybar for the tire changer.

Just saw pics of the F31 (3 series Touring/Wagon), to bad these are not out right now I would get one at the end of my lease.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #1698
RuSport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 M3

Quote:
You rode in it the day we drove all around town trying to find the right prybar for the tire changer.

Just saw pics of the F31 (3 series Touring/Wagon), to bad these are not out right now I would get one at the end of my lease.
Oh that's right. But I haven't met you new kid yet...hahah. Did you go to the social?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #1699
WERND
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

Love the story Troy!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #1700
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: POS

Quote:
then none of us could heed the wise words of "Wrap it before you tap it" which lead to a mass of little ones whom are know as "The auto boomers"
This man speaks the truth...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #1701
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Troy - Maybe time to crash the suby meets again? I mean, why not? You will be the OG Alumni's...
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #1702
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

I will say the itch to graduate to BMW's now has been greater than ever for me, personally.

I love my s2000, but I would like a vert that can accommodate a baby seat and somewhat fun. I am getting to the point where I just want a car I can go out with the family for ice cream or on cruises. Maya loves having her window down, so she may like the vert after all. And I am pretty much set on a vert since I never go to the track ever.

So, given the criteria above - what recommendations would you fellas have for me? It would have to be used. I don't want to put 5000 bux and pay 450 a month on a lease, plus y'all know me - I will sell it in 2 months and cannot be stuck in a lease.

Anyone know much about the 135i vert? The 335i vert is a little too big for me. I would like something not as small as the s2000, but not a grand tourer vert.

Maybe this will spark some activity here.

Yeah, I know I could have put this all in 1 post, but don't fuggin care...Not like anyone is gonna complain!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #1703
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
I figure you were not going, are you? Shoot me a text if you are. I need someone to hold my hand.

Ranjha most of the people in this thread are ex Subaru/Mitsu owners (Brian the truth will set you free). When we were excommunicated from the meets due to our new German digs and WERND's affinity for extra capers, then none of us could heed the wise words of "Wrap it before you tap it" which lead to a mass of little ones whom are know as "The auto boomers"
that's awesome thanks for the background, now it all makes sense!!

Still making the transition to WDM from Chicago so I got a couple questions for ya fellas:

1) What are the tint laws in IA? Are they "enforced" lol

2) Any recommendations where to get tints from?

3) What about anywhere for electronic installation (K40 RL360 radar install)?

P.S. Any speed traps I should know about?
      07-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #1704
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Tint laws in Iowa - Only factory tint in front winshield and front windows. Rears can be blacked out if you want to.

I only have 1 guy tint all my cars and I have had several done by him - Shannon at best window tinting - 515-577-3002. Tell him KC sent you...

Are they upheld? Well, depends on the car. I have run 20 pct all the way around on pick-ups and SUV's and even Mazda6's and never been pulled over. Now, if you are driving a flashy, noisy car - expect to be pulled over. Cops don't have much to do here, unlike chicago.

My friend Ryan Moquin is an installer and can probably do this laser thingamajiga for you, but its Iowa, unsure if you really need it. Once you are here and settled, I can get you his #.

Speed traps - Very random and infrequent. Again, its Iowa. I wouldn't worry about it, but no need to drive a 100mph like a jagoff either. That's just asking for trouble.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #1705
conmanxtreme
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Isn't it 70% in the front and any darkness in the rears? I'm planning on getting 50% in the front, and Limo in the back and shouldn't have any issues, besides the subs, cops hate them lol
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #1706
WERND
Captain
Rep

Glass itself only lets about 72-77% light through, so any tint on the front and you're illegal. Like KC said depends what and where you drive. Also if that's the only problem you are more likely to get away with it. Now if you go for tint AND no front plate then you might have a problem. Just tint, probably ok, especially 50%
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #1707
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep

Ru did not make it to the Mullets as I did not leave work till ~ 6:30ish. I went to the Subaru meet through yesterday, lots of new faces but some people from the past as well.

I had front tint on 2 of my Subarus. On the STI I literally was pulled over once a month, but it was all Fast and Furious with a wing the size of Texas so I was just begging to be pulled over. On my legacy wagon was never pulled over once in 2 years. IIRC the guy who has it now still has front tint. In WDM last I knew they only had 2 of the light detectors.

There are a few places in town I would not speed. There are now cameras on 235 east bound around 50th street (DM streets not WDM), Windsor Heights 72nd stay under 25, and there are cameras at the lights on 100th and Hickman and further west Hickman and 128th.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #1708
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
I only have 1 guy tint all my cars and I have had several done by him - Shannon at best window tinting - 515-577-3002. Tell him KC sent you...
Awesome thanks for the recommendation bro, I'll call him next week for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERND View Post
Glass itself only lets about 72-77% light through, so any tint on the front and you're illegal. Like KC said depends what and where you drive. Also if that's the only problem you are more likely to get away with it. Now if you go for tint AND no front plate then you might have a problem. Just tint, probably ok, especially 50%
Well as of now I still have IL cop plates, so I'll keep them on as long as I can! And while I don't have a front plate I wonder if the officers here know IL cars are supposed to have them lol this should be fun

Quote:
There are a few places in town I would not speed. There are now cameras on 235 east bound around 50th street (DM streets not WDM), Windsor Heights 72nd stay under 25, and there are cameras at the lights on 100th and Hickman and further west Hickman and 128th.
Wow thank you so much - that's some real solid advice right there!!
      07-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #1709
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I will say the itch to graduate to BMW's now has been greater than ever for me, personally.

I love my s2000, but I would like a vert that can accommodate a baby seat and somewhat fun. I am getting to the point where I just want a car I can go out with the family for ice cream or on cruises. Maya loves having her window down, so she may like the vert after all. And I am pretty much set on a vert since I never go to the track ever.

So, given the criteria above - what recommendations would you fellas have for me? It would have to be used. I don't want to put 5000 bux and pay 450 a month on a lease, plus y'all know me - I will sell it in 2 months and cannot be stuck in a lease.

Anyone know much about the 135i vert? The 335i vert is a little too big for me. I would like something not as small as the s2000, but not a grand tourer vert.

Maybe this will spark some activity here.

Yeah, I know I could have put this all in 1 post, but don't fuggin care...Not like anyone is gonna complain!
Some help here...Put your babies down and reply a-holes...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #1710
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Some help here...Put your babies down and reply a-holes...
First off, I stopped by Shannon's place and am set up for him to do my tints on Tuesday. Looks like he does good work, so thanks for the recommendation! I mentioned you sent me and he joked how you brought all 75 of your cars to him!

As far as your itch to get a Bimmer, I don't know you personally so I'm not sure what you're into exactly but I will say that I would recommend either the 128 or 135 vert. A good friend of mine in Chicago has the 128 vert and loves it. Not sure how important the turbo is to you but if you drive aggressively the 135 is gonna drink premium fuel like there's a famine

I had an 06 325 before getting my new 335 and its insane how hungry the turbo is for fuel. And it seems like there's only 91 octane out here -- I'm used to 93/94 in Chicago. That being said, its definitely a fun engine to have!

Not sure if I helped, but either way thanks again for the tint recommendation!
      07-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #1711
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep

KC, not sure on specific costs but off the top of my head I was somewhat surprised at the cost of used 135/128 vs 3 series since original MSRP was semi close (granted I was looking at coupes). But if you go back to 2009 I think they are in the low 20's, a E9x vert 2 years older is about the same $. But personally for the $ I would look for a E46 M3 vert, but that is just me. I would trade my vette for one since they Ruby could go for a ride.

For the $ difference (3k ish) between at 128 and a 135 I would get the 135. Sure the 128 gets better MPG, still has decent power but it's not like this is you DD so do you really care about a few extra MPG.

I am not sure how well a seat will fit in the back 1 series as the seating area is pretty small, hell the E9X rear seats are a little short on depth as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #1712
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANJHA View Post
First off, I stopped by Shannon's place and am set up for him to do my tints on Tuesday. Looks like he does good work, so thanks for the recommendation! I mentioned you sent me and he joked how you brought all 75 of your cars to him!

As far as your itch to get a Bimmer, I don't know you personally so I'm not sure what you're into exactly but I will say that I would recommend either the 128 or 135 vert. A good friend of mine in Chicago has the 128 vert and loves it. Not sure how important the turbo is to you but if you drive aggressively the 135 is gonna drink premium fuel like there's a famine

I had an 06 325 before getting my new 335 and its insane how hungry the turbo is for fuel. And it seems like there's only 91 octane out here -- I'm used to 93/94 in Chicago. That being said, its definitely a fun engine to have!

Not sure if I helped, but either way thanks again for the tint recommendation!
Its no joke, I probably have put his kid thru college with all the cars I have taken him....

In my research the 135i is the clear winner. I am fine with gas drinking, I am used to most of my cars not being the most fuel efficient.

No problem, man. I send everyone to Shannon, I trust him and his work is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #1713
blacksheep
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
KC, not sure on specific costs but off the top of my head I was somewhat surprised at the cost of used 135/128 vs 3 series since original MSRP was semi close (granted I was looking at coupes). But if you go back to 2009 I think they are in the low 20's, a E9x vert 2 years older is about the same $. But personally for the $ I would look for a E46 M3 vert, but that is just me. I would trade my vette for one since they Ruby could go for a ride.

For the $ difference (3k ish) between at 128 and a 135 I would get the 135. Sure the 128 gets better MPG, still has decent power but it's not like this is you DD so do you really care about a few extra MPG.

I am not sure how well a seat will fit in the back 1 series as the seating area is pretty small, hell the E9X rear seats are a little short on depth as well.
I have been looking for E46 M3 verts, Troy. 2 extremes - low low miles and ridiculous amounts of money, so financing it would be somewhat nuts. Else, over 100k and I don't know if I can trust their condition, replacing the top etc..

That's why I am thinking 135i, I do like the 335i hardtop vert, but I feel like the car is too big, in general.

I am leaning heavily toward the G37s vert. Its a decent size, has pep and power, good looks and pretty well-loaded. They are still in the mid-30's used tho...

I wanted the scion fr-s, but again I am not in love with it. I cannot find any car that I really want anymore. The only car I am still lusting for is the GT-R, but again, its a dream car and we all have those....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #1714
roybfr
Private First Class
Rep

I know how you feel KC. I have driven a lot of cars while deciding to replace or keep my E90 after the lease it up in Sep. Most of the cars that excite me are smaller and get tossed off the list until Ruby is in a front facing seat. So many of the new cars right now are just blah. The F30 is meh on the outside and f'yeah on the inside, so if I get another BMW I will hold out for an F31. But every car I remotely like was the same, always something I really like and the one or two things that I was unsure if I could live with. Heck when I thought about trading in the Vette for a more family friendly vert I felt most of the options are a compromise. Much like you the things I could probably live with are dreams (C6 Z06 or 2013 427 vert, ZL1, GT500, M3 Sedan, CTS-V Wagon, C/E63 AMG, 300 SRT8 and maybe a GT-R ;p )

I think this is why both my wife and my coworkers accuse me of trying to make up for something....

After working on the 40 this past few weeks I realize I miss working on my car, so I would rather just keep what I have an modify it, but slightly less over the top then I was in the past (tone down the CF and big wings).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #1715
WERND
Captain
Rep

screw that Troy! Let's get a 500 and slap it on the trunk!!!!!!! Some Motons and some Breytons, M5 V10 swap, lambo doors.......I'm free next weekend
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #1716
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERND View Post
screw that Troy! Let's get a 500 and slap it on the trunk!!!!!!! Some Motons and some Breytons, M5 V10 swap, lambo doors.......I'm free next weekend
lol I'm down too - I'll work on the lambo doors!