E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > KW V3 or AST 4100, both with Swift springs...ride comfort?

11-03-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
ibo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM 335xi e90 LCI M-Sport

KW V3 or AST 4100, both with Swift springs...ride comfort?

Which dampers provide a more comfortable ride given the same swift springs? Does anyone have any experience with both types of setups? I started a thread in the XI (AWD) section here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606345

since my car is an XI, but I believe I'd probably get more suggestions/comments here, as both setups apply to the i and the xi. I'd appreciate any input on this matter, as I'm trying to make a decision soon.
COBB Stage 2+ | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | ER FMIC & CP | Tial Q | Injen CAI | VRSF DP | BMS OCC | KW V3 | M3 Rear SFB / Sway Bar / Susp Bits / Strut Brace | Megan Racing Toe Arms | HPA Swaybar Endlinks | Apex EC-7 | Michelin PSS | MH 75mm Stud Conv | OEM Perf Grills and Diffuser | Exotics Tuning Front Lip | LUX H8 | Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow | LLumar 35%
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Both using Swifts..KW should ride more comfortably than AST..twin tube vs monotube design
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Both using Swifts..KW should ride more comfortably than AST..twin tube vs monotube design
That was my guess, thanks for confirming this. I'm currently running the OEM progressive springs while using slightly softer than factory settings, so I'm very curious what a swift conversion would feel like.
COBB Stage 2+ | Alpina B3 TCU Flash | ER FMIC & CP | Tial Q | Injen CAI | VRSF DP | BMS OCC | KW V3 | M3 Rear SFB / Sway Bar / Susp Bits / Strut Brace | Megan Racing Toe Arms | HPA Swaybar Endlinks | Apex EC-7 | Michelin PSS | MH 75mm Stud Conv | OEM Perf Grills and Diffuser | Exotics Tuning Front Lip | LUX H8 | Luminics Krypton JDM Yellow | LLumar 35%
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #4
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

KWv3 with Swifts will be a great setup for the street with the adjustabilty to stiffen up for track use..just gotta find your sweet spot for spring rates
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
It's almost a toss-up with these two. The AST will generate damping force very quickly so there is less suspension movement, ride will be firm, but controlled. KW will allow the suspension to move around a bit more before damping forces are generated.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

I can't speak for the kw but I have the 4100s on my car with 18s and 225/40/18 tires and the ride is reasonable. It actually is somewhat comfortable sitting in the backseat and the ride in front is a little stiff.

But overall, this is my dd and the wife says its not horrible so I take that as a triumph!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
I can't speak for the kw but I have the 4100s on my car with 18s and 225/40/18 tires and the ride is reasonable. It actually is somewhat comfortable sitting in the backseat and the ride in front is a little stiff.

But overall, this is my dd and the wife says its not horrible so I take that as a triumph!
What spring rates do you use ?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
neoduffer
Fast In, Slow Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The AST will generate damping force very quickly so there is less suspension movement, ride will be firm, but controlled.
This is exactly my impressions with the 4100s. The AST dampers definitely provide a firm and controlled ride. Initial drive off after installation had me concerned, but after a couple hundred miles on them, I am pretty pleased. The 400/672 spring rates should work out well at the track, although I am still curious what 336 in the front will feel like. The suspension is responsive and not overly busy.
      11-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
What spring rates do you use ?
I went with the 400 front and the 672 rear. I also upgraded the rear suspension with the m3 bushings and rear sway, so that added to the stiffness a little.

Here is how I'd rank the ride quality.

Unmodded car with stock 17 inch conti runflats - 7
Unmodded car with aftermarket 18 inch dws - 7.5
Modded suspension with no m3 parts and 18 inch dws - 6.0
Modded suspension with m3 parts and 18 inch dws - 5.5

So I guess the tradeoff in performance is well worth the small decrease in ride comfort.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
11N65
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 S65

Kw , with or without swift spring
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #11
ibo
Private First Class
Rep

Well, since I've decided that it'll be a while until my car sees any track days, I made the decision to explore my KW v3's a lot more. For the last two weeks, I've been GRADUALLY adjusting the compression from it's stock settings down to almost full soft, and then back up to 0.5 turns from full stiff. I use to think that I'm a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy, but this exercise really opened my eyes regarding the capabilities of D/A dampers. The goal here was to FEEL what the compression settings are capable of by isolating it and eliminating the rebound variable. In short, the compression range that can be felt is DRASTIC. At almost full soft, the car is MUCH more comfortable than stock. While body roll is still eliminated, the steering response is fairly compromised. At 0.5 turns from full stiff, the car is significantly tighter, and thus stiffer and much less comfortable over uneven roads. The word harsh comes to mind, but I've experienced much harsher. The steering response is greatly improved and I felt much more connected to the road at this setting.

These are only the two extremes of all the settings I have tried. The gradual progression between soft and stiff is also quite the experience. During all of this, the rebound settings have not even been touched. All in all, I really appreciate the ability to adjust compression forces now and strongly encourage anyone interested in fine-tuning their V3's to do the same. I get the feeling that with enough time and effort, the V3's can be a great dual-application setup; a GREAT street setup and a decent track setup.

With that said, I still have the rebound settings to experiment on before settling on my preferred street settings. This definitely took a while and will undoubtedly take longer, but I feel that the progressive experimentation of the damper's settings will provide me with a comprehensive understanding of its capabilities. At the risk of sounding overly ambitious, I still really want to try Swift springs and perhaps even the AST setup, haha. More to come later .
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
akotten
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibo View Post
Well, since I've decided that it'll be a while until my car sees any track days, I made the decision to explore my KW v3's a lot more. For the last two weeks, I've been GRADUALLY adjusting the compression from it's stock settings down to almost full soft, and then back up to 0.5 turns from full stiff. I use to think that I'm a set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy, but this exercise really opened my eyes regarding the capabilities of D/A dampers. The goal here was to FEEL what the compression settings are capable of by isolating it and eliminating the rebound variable. In short, the compression range that can be felt is DRASTIC. At almost full soft, the car is MUCH more comfortable than stock. While body roll is still eliminated, the steering response is fairly compromised. At 0.5 turns from full stiff, the car is significantly tighter, and thus stiffer and much less comfortable over uneven roads. The word harsh comes to mind, but I've experienced much harsher. The steering response is greatly improved and I felt much more connected to the road at this setting.

These are only the two extremes of all the settings I have tried. The gradual progression between soft and stiff is also quite the experience. During all of this, the rebound settings have not even been touched. All in all, I really appreciate the ability to adjust compression forces now and strongly encourage anyone interested in fine-tuning their V3's to do the same. I get the feeling that with enough time and effort, the V3's can be a great dual-application setup; a GREAT street setup and a decent track setup.

With that said, I still have the rebound settings to experiment on before settling on my preferred street settings. This definitely took a while and will undoubtedly take longer, but I feel that the progressive experimentation of the damper's settings will provide me with a comprehensive understanding of its capabilities. At the risk of sounding overly ambitious, I still really want to try Swift springs and perhaps even the AST setup, haha. More to come later .

Don't mean to thread jack, but is there a special V3 from KW for the xi models? From what I understand the standard version bolts right up?
Appreciate 0