E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Finally switched from JB4 G4 to G5

06-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #1
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Finally switched from JB4 G4 to G5

I should have done this earlier...

The main reason I switched is because I'm in the process of upgrading my fuel pump and do a back end flash... I want to pump more E85 and the G4 board won't cut it.

The main thing I love about the G5 is the smooth power delivery. With the G4 board, because boost was controlled by the JB4 only when throttle > 50%, it was almost impossible to drive at a semi-fast pace (with a 6MT). Taking off from a red light, I would have to go slow and keep throttle below 50% in order to avoid a rush of boost. Pushing the pedal over 50% would get the turbos to spool up too quickly. With the G5, pedal feel is much more linear, you can really dose the power since the G5 controls boost over 100% of the pedal travel.

Another thing I have noticed is my blow off valve (Tial) is much quieter. With the G4 board, even when driving very slow, it would Woosh each gear change. Now I really have to get on the gas to hear it. What changed between G4 and G5 board to make this change?

Finally, I did some logs and then engine knocks much less with the G5... With the G4, it would drop timing 3°-4° several times each gear pull. With the G5, the timing advance curve is really smooth (logs on map 5), so now I'm reaching a peak boost of 16psi @ 5200rpm, where with the G4 board, peak boost would be about 14.5-15psi.

I wish I had spent those $150 much sooner. The car feels slower because of smoother power delivery, but it's definitely quicker! If you haven't switched yet, do it!
      06-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
n54gte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
I should have done this earlier...

The main reason I switched is because I'm in the process of upgrading my fuel pump and do a back end flash... I want to pump more E85 and the G4 board won't cut it.

The main thing I love about the G5 is the smooth power delivery. With the G4 board, because boost was controlled by the JB4 only when throttle > 50%, it was almost impossible to drive at a semi-fast pace (with a 6MT). Taking off from a red light, I would have to go slow and keep throttle below 50% in order to avoid a rush of boost. Pushing the pedal over 50% would get the turbos to spool up too quickly. With the G5, pedal feel is much more linear, you can really dose the power since the G5 controls boost over 100% of the pedal travel.

Another thing I have noticed is my blow off valve (Tial) is much quieter. With the G4 board, even when driving very slow, it would Woosh each gear change. Now I really have to get on the gas to hear it. What changed between G4 and G5 board to make this change?

Finally, I did some logs and then engine knocks much less with the G5... With the G4, it would drop timing 3°-4° several times each gear pull. With the G5, the timing advance curve is really smooth (logs on map 5), so now I'm reaching a peak boost of 16psi @ 5200rpm, where with the G4 board, peak boost would be about 14.5-15psi.

I wish I had spent those $150 much sooner. The car feels slower because of smoother power delivery, but it's definitely quicker! If you haven't switched yet, do it!
Im confused...so with the G5 you're still getting knock?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

G4 board, what's that?! JK

This is a good review for those who've been on the fence for a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54gte View Post
Im confused...so with the G5 you're still getting knock?
I didn't write this correctly... not getting knock with the G5.
      06-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
n54gte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prius

sweet. enjoy the extra b0ost
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

You would have noticed an even bigger gain if you simply removed the JB and flashed a tune instead.

I had the G5, and had all kinds of issues, inconsistent power, half engine lights, codes (like 02 codes that were never present in prior firmware updates), etc.. Each firmware update seemed to confuse the car even more. Removed it, flashed the ECU using MHD and haven't had a single code since. Even better, the cars drives smoother and has much more power. And EVEN Better, my transmission knows exactly how much power it's getting so I don't wreck my auto transmission.

Read up - JB4 cars running lots of boost with no flash are suffering transmissions problems. Solution? Drop the JB4, it is pointless once you flash the car... that is unless you want to keep a 400.00 part for gauge hacking.

and boost by gear doesn't matter when you can actually modulate the smooth power delivery of a flash tune. Can't be done with a JB because smooth power and a Jb4 don't go together.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
You would have noticed an even bigger gain if you simply removed the JB and flashed a tune instead.

I had the G5, and had all kinds of issues, inconsistent power, half engine lights, codes (like 02 codes that were never present in prior firmware updates), etc.. Each firmware update seemed to confuse the car even more. Removed it, flashed the ECU using MHD and haven't had a single code since. Even better, the cars drives smoother and has much more power. And EVEN Better, my transmission knows exactly how much power it's getting so I don't wreck my auto transmission.

Read up - JB4 cars running lots of boost with no flash are suffering transmissions problems. Solution? Drop the JB4, it is pointless once you flash the car... that is unless you want to keep a 400.00 part for gauge hacking.

and boost by gear doesn't matter when you can actually modulate the smooth power delivery of a flash tune. Can't be done with a JB because smooth power and a Jb4 don't go together.
there are thousands of people running jb4s with none of these issues you posted as well...

A lot of the guys that I have seen having issues with the JB4 either didnt read the instructions, or didnt understand the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Ditto. That's a troll bogus post. I've been running juice boxes for years without issues. I have the jb4g5 right now and couldn't be happier. If that's real complaints it's either a faulty jb or user error. Never heard of a faulty jb but plenty of user error.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
n54door
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
there are thousands of people running jb4s with none of these issues you posted as well...

A lot of the guys that I have seen having issues with the JB4 either didnt read the instructions, or didnt understand the instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
Ditto. That's a troll bogus post. I've been running juice boxes for years without issues. I have the jb4g5 right now and couldn't be happier. If that's real complaints it's either a faulty jb or user error. Never heard of a faulty jb but plenty of user error.
So, not reading instructions is the cause of the issues I had and the cause of other's transmissions slipping? I've run JB products on 3 cars since 2009, from the JB+, JB3, 4, and G5. I installed all of them, and performed all the firmware updates myself, kept up with all the progress all the way to the G5 ISO, which was the last one I had.

I don't think I need to defend myself here given the aforementioned.

The fact is, I had many issues with the G5, and I'm not alone when I say a flash tune is world's better than any piggyback system.

My post is far from a troll/bogus post. The experience I had with my G5 was exactly that, my experience. When Terry released the new FW updates that raised the boost all maps (about 3-4 months ago in response to the overwhelming support MHD was getting, I assume) things got worse. More codes, half-engine lights, inconsistent power, etc.. Went to MHD and did nothing else, and now the car purrs like a kitten, with more power, and SAFER power most importantly since the ECU/TCU knows exactly what is going on (rather than being fed lies through a piggyback)

Do a simple search on 'transmission slipping' and you'll find the more common source of the problem was the JB, because the ECU/TCU has no idea what the JB is doing outside of the car's hardware and software. DCT and 6AT cars are at risk without a flash, plain and simple. And, if you you don't know that, I'd say you both may not be reading the 'instructions'.

***Have either of you compared your JB to a good flash tune? My guess is no. Most who have would agree with everything I've stated, which is not fanboi'ism, only truth.

OP: You're probably fine given you have a 6MT. But, even when I had a 6MT, it was never as happy as my car with a flash tune. Just something to consider while the jb fanboys continue to push a dated product. Times have changed.. Jb's are paper weights unless you run over 22psi (upgraded turbos) or meth. Just my .02.

Last edited by n54door; 06-23-2015 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #10
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
So, not reading instructions is the cause of the issues I had and the cause of other's transmissions slipping? I've run JB products on 3 cars since 2009, from the JB+, JB3, 4, and G5. I installed all of them, and performed all the firmware updates myself, kept up with all the progress all the way to the G5 ISO, which was the last one I had.

The fact is, I had many issues with the G5, and I'm not alone when I say a flash tune is world's better than any piggyback system.

My post is far from a troll/bogus post. The experience I had with my G5 was exactly that, my experience. When Terry released the new FW updates that raised the boost all maps (about 3-4 months ago in response to the overwhelming support MHD was getting, I assume) things got worse. More codes, half-engine lights, inconsistent power, etc.. Went to MHD and did nothing else, and now the car purrs like a kitten, with more power, and SAFER power most importantly since the ECU/TCU knows exactly what is going on (rather than being fed lies through a piggyback)

Do a simple search on 'transmission slipping' and you'll find the more common source of the problem was the JB, because the ECU/TCU has no idea what the JB is doing outside of the car's hardware and software. DCT and 6AT cars are at risk without a flash, plain and simple. And, if you you don't know that, I'd say you both may not be reading the 'instructions'.

***Have either of you compared your JB to a good flash tune? My guess is no. Most who have would agree with everything I've stated, which is not fanboi'ism, only truth.

OP: You're probably fine given you have a 6MT. But, even when I had a 6MT, it was never as happy as my car with a flash tune. Just something to consider while the jb fanboys continue to push a dated product. Times have changed.. Jb's are paper weights unless you run over 22psi (upgraded turbos) or meth. Just my .02.
ive got an auto and ive been running the jb4 for almost 2 years now and 20k miles with no slippage. Now I run the jb4 + backend e85 flash, also with no issues.

Like i said, there are thousands of people running JB4s with no issues, and Im sure the same can be said for flash tunes. Ive seen numerous threads where someones car wasnt running right after a cobb map or an mhd map as well. Not everything is 100%, just there are more guys with jb4 than anything else, so naturally you may see more threads about a jb4 issue.

just for shits and giggles though, ill flash the MHD e85 map, disable the jb4 and compare to the JB4 + e85 backend and see what happens. Ill even post up some logs and Virtual Dynos for you.

in all my years of tuning and boosting though, piggyback + flash has always been the best thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I appreciate the feedback. I'll try the JB4 + backend flash and if it's giving me any issues, I'll give the MHD flash a shot. So far so good though.
      06-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
n54door
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
ive got an auto and ive been running the jb4 for almost 2 years now and 20k miles with no slippage. Now I run the jb4 + backend e85 flash, also with no issues.

Like i said, there are thousands of people running JB4s with no issues, and Im sure the same can be said for flash tunes. Ive seen numerous threads where someones car wasnt running right after a cobb map or an mhd map as well. Not everything is 100%, just there are more guys with jb4 than anything else, so naturally you may see more threads about a jb4 issue.

just for shits and giggles though, ill flash the MHD e85 map, disable the jb4 and compare to the JB4 + e85 backend and see what happens. Ill even post up some logs and Virtual Dynos for you.

in all my years of tuning and boosting though, piggyback + flash has always been the best thing.
You did the right thing flashing the backend, that's where I was at before I nearly bricked my ECU trying..

So I went MHD shortly after.

that comparison, my friend, would be awesome! I'm genuinely curious on how it compares as well. I love the flash tunes, but, I will say the onset of power from the JB was a nice feeling. The flash has a more gradual power delivery, so it makes for better traction and momentum down the strip, which effectively equates to better performance. But, I do kind miss breaking traction in 3rd gear just for the fun of it..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You did the right thing flashing the backend, that's where I was at before I nearly bricked my ECU trying..

So I went MHD shortly after.

that comparison, my friend, would be awesome! I'm genuinely curious on how it compares as well. I love the flash tunes, but, I will say the onset of power from the JB was a nice feeling. The flash has a more gradual power delivery, so it makes for better traction and momentum down the strip, which effectively equates to better performance. But, I do kind miss breaking traction in 3rd gear just for the fun of it..
I may be sol for a little bit of time to do the comparison. No readily available 100% e85 MHD Maps from what I can tell. Will have to wait until I am able to get down to an e40 blend and I just filled up with e85 and dont drive much during the week.
Appreciate 0