E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > jb4 g5 iso wastegate rattle settings

04-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #23
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjust1 View Post
I have mine down to minimal with right settings took some time. Now I just get lit bit of rattle around 2500 rpm. I love the jb4 but I know for a fact that the first time I ever heard wg rattle was the day I changed to G5 ISO. Never ever rattled at any gear or rpm prior on the jb4 G4 board.
Make sure you have the newer firmware. I had rattle that would not go away with the g5 and with the newer firmware (i think 25 on) I had no rattle.
I just got my g5 Saturday from burger motorsports so it should have the newest firmware.
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #24
oma3710
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjust1 View Post
I have mine down to minimal with right settings took some time. Now I just get lit bit of rattle around 2500 rpm. I love the jb4 but I know for a fact that the first time I ever heard wg rattle was the day I changed to G5 ISO. Never ever rattled at any gear or rpm prior on the jb4 G4 board.
Make sure you have the newer firmware. I had rattle that would not go away with the g5 and with the newer firmware (i think 25 on) I had no rattle.
What's the newest firmware?
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #25
MasterWang
Captain
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iturbo_bmw View Post
so u lowered it and now u have rattle? well then raise it a little bit. my car rattles less when the value is very high, or very low, for both menu 10 and 12. In between 2k-4k it rattles the most. The default for menu 10 is 40 and menu 12 is 32. start there and decrease until u like throttle response. fuck the rattle. u gotta choose whats more important, rattle or throttle. every car is different in terms of what setting work. menu 10 controls boost from 0-1. menu 12 controls boost from 1-5. so u can configure it how u want. there is no right answer
Oh, no I meant I lowered it because of my oscillating boost, not because of a rattle (my waste gate didn't rattle on stock settings). Menu 10 at 800rpm doesn't rattle either, but the lag is terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #26
firemanjust1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3/03 350z

Newest firmware 27.13 but for me the best firmware was 25 that is what I run it on .
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #27
oma3710
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterWang View Post
Oh, no I meant I lowered it because of my oscillating boost, not because of a rattle (my waste gate didn't rattle on stock settings). Menu 10 at 800rpm doesn't rattle either, but the lag is terrible.
You are right. The rattle is gone at 800rpm but the lag is horrible.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #28
Newb54
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I know this is old news, but what turned out to be the solution for this, firmware update? I just recently got my 335 from my brother in law, FBO & JB4 g4. The g5 ISO is en route and I don't really want to deal with any lag or wastegate rattle.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #29
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster3500 View Post
Every car seems to be different, so when you get it installed, adjust and test accordingly. You'll have to find a sweet spot more than likely. Is there rattle currently?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #30
Newb54
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Every car seems to be different, so when you get it installed, adjust and test accordingly. You'll have to find a sweet spot more than likely. Is there rattle currently?
No, no rattle currently. Coming up on 75k, just replaced the vanos solenoids and had walnut blasting done, the car is running great right now. I was really excited about the upgrade, now I'm a littled paranoid, but oh well. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones and not have to do much tweaking. My wife is using this as a dd right now so.....
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb54 View Post
No, no rattle currently. Coming up on 75k, just replaced the vanos solenoids and had walnut blasting done, the car is running great right now. I was really excited about the upgrade, now I'm a littled paranoid, but oh well. Hopefully I'll be one of the lucky ones and not have to do much tweaking. My wife is using this as a dd right now so.....
Well if there's no rattle currently, there likely won't be when you upgrade to the G5 board, although some people have noticed rattle after going to the ISO for some reason. If you do experience slight rattle after installing it, i'm sure it will be pretty easy to mask with the Option 10 settings since it's not severe like many of us have. I wouldn't worry too much about it, even if it was bad, you don't hear it inside the car without really trying to hear it(windows up), just outside.

The lag is more noticeable when someone has the option 10 settings VERY low (800 & below), not common to have any difference in boost pickup in a negative way just by upgrading to the new board. You should be good man!
      07-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #32
MakkkD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newb54 View Post
Well if there's no rattle currently, there likely won't be when you upgrade to the G5 board, although some people have noticed rattle after going to the ISO for some reason. If you do experience slight rattle after installing it, i'm sure it will be pretty easy to mask with the Option 10 settings since it's not severe like many of us have. I wouldn't worry too much about it, even if it was bad, you don't hear it inside the car without really trying to hear it(windows up), just outside.

The lag is more noticeable when someone has the option 10 settings VERY low (800 & below), not common to have any difference in boost pickup in a negative way just by upgrading to the new board. You should be good man!
My jb4 only goes up to menu 7....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #33
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma3710 View Post
Now the rattle is only when I start the car. Its not rattling anymore after I hit the gas while driving.
Are you sure that what you are hearing isn't due to the CAN flap?

Mine does the same when cold, but otherwise I do not notice wastegate rattle.

You may want to look at a few YouTube videos where that actual rattle is heard.... it doesn't really sound like a rattle... but the CAN flap does.
Appreciate 0