E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Australia Classifieds Section > :: BMR Autowerkes :: M3 Suspension Upgrades

04-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #1
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

:: BMR Autowerkes :: M3 Suspension Upgrades

M3 suspension upgrades are the perfect way to upgrade your E9Xs handling by controlling body roll, increasing turn in 'feel' and allowing higher cornering speeds.

*** FAQs ***

What's the best way to increase handling?
I'd always suggest starting with springs and shocks as these have the largest single impact on the car's ride and handling. A quality set of coilovers absolutely transforms the fidgety ride of OEM M-Sport suspension and cures the floaty non M-Sport suspension

I've done coilovers, what's next?
M3 control arms - great bang for your buck. You can really feel the difference this makes as turn in is much improved and the car has less tendency to understeer, aided by the additional neg camber allowed by this upgrade to the tune of 3/4 degree.

I find there is a bit too much bodyroll, what can I do to contain that a bit more?
Swaybars are your friend here. By upgrading from your stock swaybar or M-sport swaybar, to E92 or E93 M3 swaybars bodyroll will be much better contained. As a general rule of thumb for the 1-Series guys we recommend E92 M3 swaybars and for the slightly larger heavier 3-Series guys, E93 are the way to go.

What's the difference between E92 and E93 M3 swaybars
Diameter in thickness and therefore the bar's ability to counter bodyroll. Front E92 M3 - 26.5mm
Front E93 M3 - 28mm
Rear E92 M3 - 22.5mm
Rear E93 M3 - 23.6mm

While I'm at it, anything else I should consider?
Most of the M3 suspension components are installed largely independent of each other, that is, you're not going to save heaps by installing it all at once so don't pressure yourself to do so - in fact, doing one piece at a time would allow you to appreciate each upgrade as you go along. However should you be opting for a rear sway bar upgrade, I'd highly suggest upgrading the rear subframe mounts to M3 spec at the same time as the rear subframe would be dropped anyway.

*** Prices ***
Front
E92 M3 Front Sway bar kit - $385
E93 M3 Front Sway bar kit - $385
E9X M3 Control Arm kit* - $459
M3 Strut bar kit - $365

Rear
E92 M3 Rear Sway bar kit - $345
E93 M3 Rear Sway bar kit - $345
E9X M3 Subframe bushings - $329

I have left out the upper and lower rear control arms for simplicity - any questions on this please ask or PM.
*: This is an OE kit, whilst it is identical in construction and operation to OEM M3 control arms it does not feature the ///M logo on the hardware. The ///M logo can be added for +$200
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Specials - April 2013

E93 M3 Front Swaybar was $385 now $299
M3 Rear subframe bushings was $329 now $249
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #3
bmshez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i Coupe M Sport (E92)

Hey Stu, would getting these sway bars have a really big impact on ride comfort? I was thinking that with the front M3 sway bar on my M-Sport, there wouldn't be a big improvement in handling as it's only marginally thicker. And so I'm now leaning towards the rear sway bar....but don't want the ride comfort to get much worse - am I asking for too much? Haha just looking for a way to improve handling without compromising too much on ride comfort.

Is strut + upgraded rear sway a common setup?

Cheers and apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Hey mate, being a RWD you'd definitely benefit more from a front sway than rear.

The e93 m3 bar is the way to go, and it won't compromise right comfort, but will certainly exponentially increase handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmshez View Post
Hey Stu, would getting these sway bars have a really big impact on ride comfort? I was thinking that with the front M3 sway bar on my M-Sport, there wouldn't be a big improvement in handling as it's only marginally thicker. And so I'm now leaning towards the rear sway bar....but don't want the ride comfort to get much worse - am I asking for too much? Haha just looking for a way to improve handling without compromising too much on ride comfort.

Is strut + upgraded rear sway a common setup?

Cheers and apologies for resurrecting an old thread.
I tend to find swaybars don't impact ride comfort that much, biggest sole contributor to ride comfort would be your shock absorbers.
What do you want out of the handling upgrades?
Rear swaybar is a great upgrade, unfortunately install costs are rather high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Hey mate, being a RWD you'd definitely benefit more from a front sway than rear.

The e93 m3 bar is the way to go, and it won't compromise right comfort, but will certainly exponentially increase handling.
Depends how he wants it set up, i.e. flatter turn in, less understeer/more oversteer...
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
bmshez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
What do you want out of the handling upgrades?
There's the million dollar question haha. I suppose I want more responsive/sharper steering in everyday driving. I've noticed there's a fairly noticeable amount of body roll as is and it can't hurt having the car more stable and flat.

I'm currently on run-flats and I figure whenever I switch over to non-RFTs, I'll gain a bit in terms of grip. And so I'm not too fussed about a slight loss in grip coming out of upgrading the sway bars.

I know it makes me look terrible but I'm looking at bang-for-buck while maintaining/improving current ride comfort.

Quote:
Rear swaybar is a great upgrade, unfortunately install costs are rather high.
Yeha I noticed a lot of people talking about how much more fiddly it is to install a rear sway bar. However, the appeal for me is that it will significantly thicker than the current rear sway in my M-Sport whereas I'm concerned I won't notice much difference going with the slightly thicker front sway. I figured though that having a significantly thicker rear sway with a stock front sway would leave the car somewhat unbalanced....would a strut bar have any impact on stabilising the front more?

Quote:
Depends how he wants it set up, i.e. flatter turn in, less understeer/more oversteer...
Definitely prefer oversteer than understeer and yeah flatter turn in can't hurt, hence the sways. With that said, this is just for daily driving and not for a track...

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
bmshez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Friendly bump for this thread .
Appreciate 0