E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Performance Driving Schools

07-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
jzingerman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i M sport

Performance Driving Schools

I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for what Performance Driving School I should go to. I'm a new driver and want to maximize my driving capabilities because there is much for me to learn. I live in Southern California but would go to Las Vegas because I have been told there are many schools there. Please let me know if you know of any schools because driving is a passion of mine and I'd like to learn.

Thanks In Advance,
Jake
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Skip Barber in Monterrey, and Bob Bondurandt in Phoenix are the best near us. I've been to both. BB is better for defensive driving and teen driving courses. Barber is better for real race training.

I just signed up my daughter for the teen driving course in Phoenix. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

On that note, MBZ of Beverly Hills has an advanced teen driving academy that might interest you. It teaches young (or new) drivers how to negotiate the streets of LA with confidence, decorum, and precision, without driving like an a-hole.
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
cnbecker9
Bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi Coupe

Garage List
go to the official BMW performance driving school. You get to stay at a nice resort during your stay. search into it (:
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
jaadoogar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi M-Sport, 6MT

Went to BMW Performance Center in South Carolina in March and had the most amazing time! I did the Two-Day Car Control School... awesome!

Drove on a track with a 135, 335, M3, 535, 650i, as well as on their off-road track with an X5. You will learn the capabilities of your car with braking, sliding, emergency turning, etc. I have the same car you do, and loved this experience.

The skid pad is an amazing experience that is worth checking out on YouTube. You will practice coming out of these dangerous understeer and oversteer situations, which will in theory make you a better driver day-to-day.

This is not racing school, even though they cover some basics and you are being timed on the track. If your objective is to learn to race on a track, try something else. If your objective is to learn more about the capabilities and limits of your own car, then you will not regret this experience. I got a 10% discount for being a BMW CCA member. I would do this again in a heartbeat.
2011 BMW E90 335xi | Black Sapphire | Black Dakota | M-Sport | 6MT | European Delivery 5.24.11 E9x Picture Game: 29 points (Grandfather Clock, Natural Disaster, Anti Environment, Minivan Taxi, NFL Stadium Opening Day, Six Banana M, Campaign Sign, Steam Locomotive... EV Charging Station, Extreme Car Sizes, Birthday, Bridal Shop, Boardwalk, Car Insurance, Adjacent Handicap, Gloves, Fast Expensive)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
Stay tuned, I am trying to get a track day company/car control clinic going myself. :-)

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
Skip Barber in Monterrey, and Bob Bondurandt in Phoenix are the best near us. I've been to both. BB is better for defensive driving and teen driving courses. Barber is better for real race training.

I just signed up my daughter for the teen driving course in Phoenix. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

On that note, MBZ of Beverly Hills has an advanced teen driving academy that might interest you. It teaches young (or new) drivers how to negotiate the streets of LA with confidence, decorum, and precision, without driving like an a-hole.
Have you actually tried looking into BMW CCA organized events? We just had a teenager car control clinic in June in Irvine, and the Tire Rack Street Survival courses are second to none (and hell of a lot closer than Phoenix). We also have High Performance Driving Schools twice a year at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, with the next one coming up on October 1st.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Have you actually tried looking into BMW CCA organized events? We just had a teenager car control clinic in June in Irvine, and the Tire Rack Street Survival courses are second to none (and hell of a lot closer than Phoenix). We also have High Performance Driving Schools twice a year at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, with the next one coming up on October 1st.
I would +1 with the BMW CCA events. They are top notch. I think for the bank for its buck factor, they can't be beat.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
BMW CCA and/or NASA, Skippy's too expensive imo and better to learn in your own car.
      08-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
superjay
Resident Car Audio Guru
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I live 5 miles from California Speedway...that would be awfully convenient
jay@navtv.com
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjay View Post
I live 5 miles from California Speedway...that would be awfully convenient
Next event at Auto Club Speedway is on Monday October 1st. Registration details are here.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
y2khardtop
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530i

Spring mountain isn't bad
Appreciate 0