E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Drove a new 320d and it was horrid!!

03-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Drove a new 320d and it was horrid!!

My car was in having new front brake pads yesterday so I took the opportunity to drive a new 320d whilst I was there.

It was a 320d Sport (not an M Sport) and I was interested to see if I could get along with a new 4cyl car (because budget would not stretch to a new 330d) and hopefully enjoy the more settled ride the F30 is supposed to have.

Basically I hated it. The steering was overly light and had no feel so it wasn't very confidence inspiring. It felt like the front tyres were inflated to about 60psi and crowning. (The salesman suggested it may have had servotronic steering, which I don't know a lot about, so I don't know if that's relevant).

Engine was so rough and coarse compared to my E90 330d, which makes a much more pleasant noise. At higher revs the 320d was awful.

Whilst the ride was better the trade off was markedly worse body control on bumpy rural roads.

On the positive side the seat was marginally more comfortable (softer backrest) and the 320d did still pull really well at low revs. I can see why for some people the increased fuel economy would make up for it sounding like a strangled tractor.

I was glad to get back in my 330d, even though replacement brake pads had turned into needing new discs as well. [Wallet says ouch!!]

Anyway it's put me right off an F30, so my search for a decent Manual E60 530d M Sport will continue............
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

It would be a 328i for me if going F31.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
I'd agree with a lot of what you've written,especially the noise from the engine,a Massey Ferguson is perhaps better in some respects because it is a tractor, so you expect an agricultural noise.
It's not what's expected from a premium brand though.

Steering does get some getting used to after a hydraulic system,but I find the ride much better than the E92 on runflats that I've had in the past.

Performance is quite good I find,push the sport+ button, and it livens up quite a lot,can't say I've paid much attention to the economy side,the Eco-mode button never gets used

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Pigley View Post
I can see why for some people the increased fuel economy would make up for it sounding like a strangled tractor.
More than just some.
IF you had to pay BIK and have a fixed fuel payment it makes perfect sense

Its a toss up this week for my next CC.
520d ED
320d Touring
Audio A6 or A5 saloon Blackline
Poss an A3 S line if not too small...