E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > X5 or X3

01-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #45
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Yeah, I'll blame it on the Rioja!!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #46
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
That was kind of the message I was trying to say (but failing) Del .

And Chrisbin, yes, the Toerag is better value, but the Qashqai better value again, all the way to the Yeti .
The Yeti is great value, our 4x4 170 tdi Elegence was £22k new after discount and has Heated leather, bluetooth, turning xenons, Alloys, 6 CD touchscreen, privacy glass, cruise, etc- all standard. The build quality is fantastic, the leather could be better quality finish but I am being picky and after 21 months and 12k miles has no wear marks, it does 45 mpg and if I traded it tomorrow I reakon I would get £18k ish. (not that I want to sell).

The Yeti is quick with the 170 engine, handles well and has got fantastic praise from Evo, Autocar and Car magazine when they have run them as a long termer.

The equivalent VW is Tigan would be £30k after discount in the same spec and the new audi Q3 would be £35k. I also like the new Qashqai and there are a few high spec ones where I live and they do look nice (in the sporty specs) so I could understand why you would go for one especially as you like Nissan's. I also think the Kuga looks good and find it hard to spend +£35k on the BMW even though I appreicate it's bigger and a better car it's not £15k better!

Going forward I will be a far more savey car buyer and cars like this are great for the family but also are still enough fun to drive on a daily basis.

Last edited by Gibbo; 01-07-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
The Yeti is great value, our 4x4 170 tdi Elegence was £22k new after discount and has Heated leather, bluetooth, turning xenons, Alloys, 6 CD touchscreen, privacy glass, cruise, etc- all standard. The build quality is fantastic, the leather could be better quality finish but I am being picky and after 21 months and 12k miles has no wear marks, it does 45 mpg and if I traded it tomorrow I reakon I would get £18k ish. (not that I want to sell).

The Yeti is quick with the 170 engine, handles well and has got fantastic praise from Evo, Autocar and Car magazine when they have run them as a long termer.

The equivalent VW is Tigan would be £30k after discount in the same spec and the new audi Q3 would be £35k. I also like the new Qashqai and there are a few high spec ones where I live and they do look nice (in the sporty specs) so I could understand why you would go for one especially as you like Nissan's. I also think the Kuga looks good and find it hard to spend +£35k on the BMW even though I appreicate it's bigger and a better car it's not £15k better!

Going forward I will be a far more savey car buyer and cars like this are great for the family but also are still enough fun to drive on a daily basis.
Great post Peter, truth be known Skoda are an absolute fantastic buy and the dark horse of the premium sector. If I Had kept my vRS Octavia diesel I know that I would have probably owned the slowest depreciating car in my car buying history. For a replacement to our V70, the Superb Estate in Elegance DSG trim is looking very tempting ( early in 2013). I cannot believe how much these cars keep their value. If only they made a TT /A5 equivalent
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #48
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Absolutely, the Yeti is heralded as a belter by the press (I've no personal experience) and, like you said, incredible value. I too like the Kuga but the boot is tiny so dismissed it.

As you can tell this is an area I've really researched recently and by weighing everything, and I mean everything, into consideration just can't ignore the new 1.6dci Qashqai+2 (just a shame they are like hens teeth!).

I quite like the Q5 but to get a sexy looking one ends up costing many earth credits.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #49
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Absolutely, the Yeti is heralded as a belter by the press (I've no personal experience) and, like you said, incredible value. I too like the Kuga but the boot is tiny so dismissed it.

As you can tell this is an area I've really researched recently and by weighing everything, and I mean everything, into consideration just can't ignore the new 1.6dci Qashqai+2 (just a shame they are like hens teeth!).

I quite like the Q5 but to get a sexy looking one ends up costing many earth credits.
The Yeti boot is not huge and i cannot believe any larger than a Kuga as the car is just over 4.2m but gains space because the back is very square. The rear seats can move forward about 4 inches plus they can recline, fold in all directions and can be unclipped and lifted out in seconds making it into a van!

I think Nissan have been smart with the +2 version and I am sure Ford, VAG are monitoring Market sales to see if this is a gap to fill in their range in the future.

I like the Q5 in top spec and think it looks nicer than the current X3. Again like you would not want to spend that much on a family car.
      01-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #50
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Residuals on the Touareg are a bit frightening unless you buy one that has already lost a packet.

3.0D M Sport X5 with the 8 speed auto would be pretty hard to beat, perhaps a 40d if he wants more power as they are quite heavy but the deals might not be as good on them.
Can buy my X5 40D with <6k on the clock

£60k list price - so pretty much fully spec'd. Plus i have some extra toys on there

Great car but i work from home now so hardly every use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #51
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

One full day drive

and you understand why the X5 costs more. Add in some German Autobahns and an alpine pass or two and that £15Gs will seem worth every penny.
Appreciate 0