E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 328xi wagon VTG Oil Change - Integrator Reset / Adaptation

12-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
rt7085
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 328xi wagon / Mercedes GTS

BMW 328xi wagon VTG Oil Change - Integrator Reset / Adaptation

I recently changed the oil in my entire drive train of my 328xi wagon, from front-diff. to the rear diff. This included the transfer box (VTG) as well. I had a code set: VTG Oil Wear (code: 54C6) which seems to be a regular occurrence on many 4 wheel drive 3 series with high mileage. It came on for me around 102k mi. with no knowledge of whether it was ever changed. (I bought the car used). Judging from the plug conditions, it was not. (New plugs..... yes).

Clearing the code seems to be a challenge because it is hard to find in available software, if at all, and is often foregone as a result. Other treads state that only DIS5.7 can do it and ISTA and INPA cannot. Indeed, INPA cannot. DIS5.7 can but as many acknowledge it is old and the VMWARE is a pain to use (slow) on older laptops. I searched Rheingold ISTA+ and after some persistence, I finally found it. I was first searching in the Repair/Maintenance tab, but is not there; it is under Service Functions. It is simply called "ABL: Transfer Box Oil Change". So, I wanted to report this and make it easier for all of you to locate it. See the pictures below.

How and where to access it in ISTA+:

Be sure to connect to the car and read out the vehicle identification. Punching just the VIN (7-digits) is not enough to narrow it down in ISTA+. Also, make sure your OBD-II does not time-out as you won't find it in that case! It is sometimes hard to tell if it timed-out, but trust me, it does if you don't do anything for a while (at least on my system). Annoying.... yup.

Vehicle Management -> Service Functions -> Transfer Box Transmission Control Unit -> ABL: Transfer Box Oil Change.

Once you are in select the procedure (ABL: "Ablauf", which means procedure) you can run it. It will then proceed to re-adapt the forces needed to engage the clutch plates and reset the integrators which accumulate the force error over time when the oil "wears". If it executes properly, you hear the VTG e-motor engage a couple of times and then report out the integrators. It then proceeds to reset the integrators and you are done.

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt7085 View Post
I recently changed the oil in my entire drive train of my 328xi wagon, from front-diff. to the rear diff. This included the transfer box (VTG) as well. I had a code set: VTG Oil Wear (code: 54C6) which seems to be a regular occurrence on many 4 wheel drive 3 series with high mileage. It came on for me around 102k mi. with no knowledge of whether it was ever changed. (I bought the car used)...
Clearing the code seems to be a challenge because it is hard to find in available software, if at all, and is often foregone as a result. Other treads state that only DIS5.7 can do it and ISTA and INPA cannot. Indeed, INPA cannot. DIS5.7 can but as many acknowledge it is old and the VMWARE is a pain to use (slow) on older laptops. I searched Rheingold ISTA+ and after some persistence, I finally found it. I was first searching in the Repair/Maintenance tab, but is not there; it is under Service Functions. It is simply called "ABL: Transfer Box Oil Change". So, I wanted to report this and make it easier for all of you to locate it...
Thank You for taking the time to share that information! VERY Helpful for those of us with X-drive > 100,000 miles.

QUESTIONS:

1) What did you do after renewing Transmission Fluid & Filter (assuming automatic)?

2) Do you have a link to site from which you downloaded ISTA+ and or BMW Standard Tools (INPA)?

3) Do you know of anything that is good for summarizing or identifying INPA functions & screens (what you can do in Status (F5) or Steurn (F6) for each module? Anything I have seen linked in the E9x forums is NOT very helpful (including BimmerProfs -- sorry ctuna ;-). I have spent quite a few hours just doing screen prints of each menu item (filed in separate Folder for each Module, plus Functional Jobs) and creating my own Outline or summary of functions (NOT done yet ;-). I'm hoping there is a better way, but if there isn't, then "someday" I'll post a pdf.

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The only difference between ista and ista plus is the latter
covers the F30 series I believe,correct me if I am wrong.
Ista d should do all the same stuff ista plus does for and e9x series. Granted there are different revs and the base software has to be kept current with daten files. But the xdrive service should be basic to all years.

Does it make sense the DIS57 could do xdrive service and ista D
could not.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #4
rt7085
Private
United_States
Rep

gbalthrop:

1. I replaced the fluid with ATC300. I replaced the filter and the filter seal. There are many links that describe the procedure. Even commercial ones. And the there is https://www.newtis.info.

2. I paid for it instead of downloading it from mhhauto.com. I got INPA and DIS from there. Here you go:

http://rheingoldusa.com/conc/index.php/buy-now

3. Don’t have that. But then again I am somewhat fluid in German (I’m Dutch living in the US) so I have no issue getting into the bowels of it and still be successful. I am curious as to what you will come up with in your summary.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
rt7085
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
The only difference between ista and ista plus is the latter
covers the F30 series I believe,correct me if I am wrong.
Ista d should do all the same stuff ista plus does for and e9x series. Granted there are different revs and the base software has to be kept current with daten files. But the xdrive service should be basic to all years.

Does it make sense the DIS57 could do xdrive service and ista D
could not.
Not sure but you might be right. I bought it for my E60 M5 at the time (for which it is an indispensable tool.) I sold my M5 and got another bigger toy. And I bought the E91 for the winter ( and I love it but I had to exorcise some gremlins).
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Schwaben Scan Tool was able to clear both my transmission and transfer case wear indicators....
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #7
rt7085
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Schwaben Scan Tool was able to clear both my transmission and transfer case wear indicators....
Sure. But what was puzzling me is why the latest BMW dedicated tool could not be used. Turns out it could be used. I had not seen any evidence anywhere that it could. So, just just wanted to post that answer.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #8
Greyfox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91 - 330k+ (miles)

Quote:
Sure. But what was puzzling me is why the latest BMW dedicated tool could not be used. Turns out it could be used. I had not seen any evidence anywhere that it could. So, just just wanted to post that answer.
I'm fairly sure most of the BMW softwares could be used.

But on my E91 I actually had to have the engine running and both the transmission and transfer case at operating temperature before it would clear the faults.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
rt7085
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Quote:
I'm fairly sure most of the BMW softwares could be used.

But on my E91 I actually had to have the engine running and both the transmission and transfer case at operating temperature before it would clear the faults.
Interesting. I did it with the engine OFF. ISTA told me to shut the engine down for the adaptation / reset.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:06 PM   #10
bidjan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi E90

Thanks OP! Post was helpful and spot on. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:08 PM   #11
bidjan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Thank You for taking the time to share that information! VERY Helpful for those of us with X-drive > 100,000 miles.

QUESTIONS:

1) What did you do after renewing Transmission Fluid & Filter (assuming automatic)?

Looking for an answer to this question as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidjan View Post
Looking for an answer to this question as well.
Honestly, I wouldn’t recommend doing anything other than clearing oil wear fault code if one is present, unless you’re having issues and think resetting adaptations may help.

I have the 6L45 and reset a bunch of adaptations after changing my fluid, filter, and swapping out some worn components in the VB. I regret doing that, as it seemed to actually worsen shift quality.

Just my $0.02. I was able to do this through INPA but Tool32 also works.

If you have the ZF box I’m not totally sure.