E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > best rear sway bar for 335xi?

02-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Not to be be the fly in the ointment as to were, but I have the 14 mm M-sport rear bar with the Performance suspension, and I wouldn't want it any stiffer. Almost all of the over-steer is dialed away. On a 90 degree turn, a lot of power is applied to the inside wheel, stressing the grip of that tire, and unless you have a LSD like the M3 has, stiffer would be more of a problem. Probably less of a concern with all wheel drive, but still, a little stiffer goes a long way.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 02-22-2012 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #24
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
Not to be be the fly in the ointment as to were, but I have the 14 mm M-sport rear bar with the Performance suspension, and I wouldn't want it any stiffer. Almost all of the over-steer is dialed away. On a 90 degree turn, a lot of power is applied to the inside wheel, stressing the grip of that tire, and unless you have a LSD like the M3 has, stiffer would be more of a problem. Probably less of a concern with all wheel drive, but still, a little stiffer goes a long way.
i do have the all wheel drive. i also have a staggered setup so the understeer is terrible. getting a front sway bar will just make the understeer the same so i need a rear sway bar. i want the car to oversteer. i just dont know if i should go with the e92 m3 rear sway or the e93 m3 rear sway.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #25
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
i do have the all wheel drive. i also have a staggered setup so the understeer is terrible. getting a front sway bar will just make the understeer the same so i need a rear sway bar. i want the car to oversteer. i just dont know if i should go with the e92 m3 rear sway or the e93 m3 rear sway.
You might want to read The HACK's post again.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #26
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
You might want to read The HACK's post again.
i've read many posts. and the consensuses seems to be that adding a rear sway bar will deffinitley help reduce understeer.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498189

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150049
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #27
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

on my e92 should i get the e93 m3 rear sway bar or will that negativly effect handling because of its thickness?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #28
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep

OEM BMW E9X M3 Rear Sway Bar Kit. E9x M3 Kit includes rear 20mm swaybar, bushings, and brackets. E93 M3 Convertible Kit includes 23.6mm rear swaybar, bushings, and brackets.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #29
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I'd stick with the 20mm bar.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #30
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
I'd stick with the 20mm bar.
I'm facing the same choice between the 20mm and 23.6mm

However, I am having a Quaife LSD put in, which should overcome the traction detriment of a stiffer bar. That being the case, should I go 23.6 or would it be overkill?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
galx999
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535XI M Sport

without upgrading the front, i'd do the 20mm even with a quaife.
      04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #32
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
I'm facing the same choice between the 20mm and 23.6mm

However, I am having a Quaife LSD put in, which should overcome the traction detriment of a stiffer bar. That being the case, should I go 23.6 or would it be overkill?
Will you be running coilovers? If so which ones and what spring rate? Square or staggered? Camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
cyniclaus
Lifelong Cynic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Will you be running coilovers? If so which ones and what spring rate? Square or staggered? Camber plates?
Square 245/40/18s with Michelin PSS.

Good point on the suspension, obviously I should consider the whole package. Truth is I'm still on the fence between something like the Eibach/Bilstein combo or going for the TC Kline kit. I know I can't go wrong with the latter, but would rather not blow all the extra $ if I would be happy with the former. I put a notice in the regional forums to see if anyone has either so I can get a feel for what I'd be signing up for. Even with the TCK, I can't see myself changing the setup on a regular basis; it would be more for the freedom to dial in settings I could live with day to day.

How significant is the benefit of camber adjustment? I've been searching the forums and can't really get a definitive idea other than that it is a must-have for track use (which I don't plan on doing much of as long as the car remains a DD). I'd also be concerned about continuous wandering on long highway trips and increased bump steer. I guess everything is a compromise in the end.

BTW, thanks for that excellent post on tire pressure, I'm definitely going to be running the chalk test over this weekend as I think Midas underinflated my PSS when they put them on last week.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
Doyle
Hellafunctional
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyniclaus View Post
Square 245/40/18s with Michelin PSS.

Good point on the suspension, obviously I should consider the whole package. Truth is I'm still on the fence between something like the Eibach/Bilstein combo or going for the TC Kline kit. I know I can't go wrong with the latter, but would rather not blow all the extra $ if I would be happy with the former. I put a notice in the regional forums to see if anyone has either so I can get a feel for what I'd be signing up for. Even with the TCK, I can't see myself changing the setup on a regular basis; it would be more for the freedom to dial in settings I could live with day to day.

How significant is the benefit of camber adjustment? I've been searching the forums and can't really get a definitive idea other than that it is a must-have for track use (which I don't plan on doing much of as long as the car remains a DD). I'd also be concerned about continuous wandering on long highway trips and increased bump steer. I guess everything is a compromise in the end.

BTW, thanks for that excellent post on tire pressure, I'm definitely going to be running the chalk test over this weekend as I think Midas underinflated my PSS when they put them on last week.
re: tire post -- No problem. It's a community and we are all here to help!

TC Kline has an office in OH. Maybe you can swing by there and see if you can grab a ride on an e9x?

As far as being overkill, I think that the rep that coilovers have as being finnicky and complex is kinda generalized. 4-way Moton's? Oh, hell ya they're complex. Single adjustable TCK? Nah. Figure out what you prefer for DD and dial it in (I found the factory setting perfect). If you get a bug up your ass, then just pop the hood and trunk and in 1 minute you have your "sport" setting. Also, for the xi's, being able to adjust ride height if deep snow is a concern is a godsend.

Camber plates are nice in that running more camber should be the first step in trying to balance the chassis. Due to the nature of our front suspension, running more negative static camber is a must if you push your car even remotely hard. You mentioned before that you do, so I would advise whether you go Eibach or TCK, you look into camber plates. For reference, I run -3 d up front and really haven't noticed anything detrimental. And that is with 265's, as well. No wandering, tracking, funky squat/dive/bump behavior.

Hope that helped!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
CrAzY ChInOz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

anyone actually installed the 20mm m3 rear swaybar on the XI with factory sports suspension? i havent seen any reviews on them with stock suspension and just rear m3 bar.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #36
stratplaya06
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335xi-SOLD 5.0 Miata

^That's kinda to be expected given the substantial install time/cost for the rear sway install. At that point you are taking down the subframe and you may as well change to m3 subframe bushings (because they make a world of difference). You'll already have the subframe removed.

I have a e92 m3 rear bar and I found that in order to combat understeer there was no other solution than to run wide front rubber. Only now that my suspension has been fully modified am I happy with the handling (still find the ride a bit stiff).

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #37
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

i have just fitted h&r 20mm rear sway to e92, have concern that the extra stiffness may damage the subframe mountings or am i overreacting, any advice/experience is very welcome. also have front bar but came with no bushes, dealer say have to use originals but on 2011 cars the bushes are bonded to bar and not available seperately, can i use pre lci bushes, thanks.
Appreciate 0