E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > What is it with HK registration docs?

05-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
BigMansWagon
Private
Rep
Drives: 323i MSport, 428i, SLK 250

What is it with HK registration docs?

Examining V5 docs, and looking at HK selling practices, I would say an unwary buyer could be mislead.

For instance, say a car's vin number indicates that the manufacturing date is 2009. But the car's official manufacturing date on the V5 is 2010, and then when the car is imported to HK a couple of years later, the V5 will say first registration 2012. And then HK used dealers will sell the car as a 2012 car, and then slap you with hidden admin charges?

Is this normal practice here? Seriously, this place feels like there's a bunch of uneducated con men that even Del boy trotter would feel embarrassed to show his face.

Cheers,
BMW
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #2
ny911
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: R35/981 CS

Seems that must not be a HK dealer (BMWHK) car. And yes, dealers do make more profit on selling imported cars by cheatings or tricks.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
kchika
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Evo, E46 M3

Well no, the majority of us here know what to look for when buying. The car you mentioned will have "Imported Used" on its VRD anyway.

What did you end up buying then?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

My opinion is HK is stricter than DVLA regarding documentation. If u examine the reg logbook there are 2 entries, one is year of manufacture & the other is date of 1st reg in HK. If the car is imported used there will be a difference between the 2 dates. Sometimes there will be a difference of 1yr even with offical imports if, say, it involves stock clearance or cars made near end of yr (due to shipping leadtimes). If u've bought a Jap import then the Jap auction docs & Jap deregistration docs will state actual year of manufacture, both items must be produced in order to successfully reg a car in HK. A honest seller will not shy away from buyers asking these questions.
On the HK logbook one must state whether the car is brandnew import, used import or "home delivery" (i.e. personal import).
The secret to buying 2nd hand in HK is to ask for both manufacture year & 1st reg year, & also it's status when 1st arrived in HK (i.e. official or grey import, new or used import etc.). This apply both to private or trade sellers.
Appreciate 0