E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Power Steering fluid.....possible culprit?

09-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Power Steering fluid.....possible culprit?

Hi,

So some of you might have read my other thread regarding the 'gunk gunk' noise in my driver side wheel/suspension when turning the steering wheel from a dead stop or a slow roll (<5 mph)......

So I was browsing through the DIY section of the forum, and came across a power steering fluid flush/change DIY, so I started reading......The posts that were made after the DIY were about a noise when turning the steering wheel, and they had mentioned that after flushing/changing the PS fluid, the steering wheel turned much 'smoother' and the 'noise' was gone.

Here's the thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...steering+fluid

So my question is:

Could this be the reason why I'm experiencing the 'gunk gunk' noise when turning the steering wheel?

IIRC, when I was still under warranty, the dealers topped off my PS fluid, but it wasn't actually flushed/changed......Am I due for that? Or?.......

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
medusacomp
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

i just replaced my fluid and the noise is gone
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So your car made the same noise as I've described? That 'gunk gunk' noise ONLY when turning the wheel at a stop or when rolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacomp View Post

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
medusacomp
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
So your car made the same noise as I've described? That 'gunk gunk' noise ONLY when turning the wheel at a stop or when rolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacomp View Post
Yes! I just replaced brakrs, tires rims, ps fluid and now i found my bushings on the lower control arms are bad, there was some clicking when parking, fluid was very very dirty
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!!

I just checked my PS fluid reservoir, and it is LOW!!

So my question is:

What type and where to get the PS fluid? I wanna find the best deal......

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
there should be a label on the reservoir cap telling you what kind.

My car takes CHF 11s and I bought it here:
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/hydr...chf11s-1-liter

That said, from everything I've read, it's more important to get the right type (as indicated on the cap) than "where you buy it"
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks! ya, just checked the cap on the PS reservoir and it is the same as yours, CHF 11s.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE!!

So I filled up my PS fluid with CHF 11s to the maximum line......But the 'gunk gunk' sound remains. At first, after the refill, I thought it had fixed the problem 99%, but as I drove the car throughout the day/night, it felt like back to square one....

At this point, I'm ALL out of options as to what might be wrong.....

Also, this is a bit OT, but when I was at the BK drive-through (getting their $1 fruit smoothie, lol), I rev'd a little, and upon deceleration, I heard a 'flap flap' sound from what appears to be my exhaust? WTF......It sounded like a playing card stuck to the frame of a bicycle and it flapping against the metal spokes of the bicycle wheel.....

Anyone have any idea what the sound might be?

TIA and FML

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
....when I was at the BK drive-through (getting their $1 fruit smoothie, lol), I rev'd a little, and upon deceleration, I heard a 'flap flap' sound from what appears to be my exhaust? WTF......It sounded like a playing card stuck to the frame of a bicycle and it flapping against the metal spokes of the bicycle wheel.....

Anyone have any idea what the sound might be?
Can you raise your ride? Check for exhaust leaks.

My noise prob solved: Tightened flange bolts upstream o'cats.
  • 21 N/M torque - turbo motor
  • 45 N/M torque - non-turbo
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
So I filled up my PS fluid with CHF 11s to the maximum line......But the 'gunk gunk' sound remains. At first, after the refill, I thought it had fixed the problem 99%, but as I drove the car throughout the day/night, it felt like back to square one....

So, you'll be flushing?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wait...so the flange bolt could come loose even after a year or so of having the exhaust?

I can try to get under the car and check the flange bolts, it's just that I'll be using low pro jack and jack stands....not sure if that's enough clearance for me to reach that part of the car lol.....

As to flushing the PS fluid, should I do that? I'm not sure how to.....

Help!!

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
mlifxs
Diamond Geezer
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2007 328i Saloon

Garage List
Quote:
Wait...so the flange bolt could come loose even after a year or so of having the exhaust?

I can try to get under the car and check the flange bolts, it's just that I'll be using low pro jack and jack stands....not sure if that's enough clearance for me to reach that part of the car lol.....

As to flushing the PS fluid, should I do that? I'm not sure how to.....

Help!!

TIA
search where? DIY section?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...power+steering
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I checked the flange bolts and everything seems to be tightened.....I had my GF rev the car while I tried to listen to see where the flapping noise is coming from, and it's coming from my exhaust(the actual mufflers). Funny I never really heard that and I've had my exhaust for about a year or so lol.....

As for the PS, I cranked the wheel from lock to lock a few times and left the car on for a few seconds before turning it off, per DIY guide for PS flush, and it seemed a bit better. I'll have to keep an ear out for the noise and report back.....I really hope it's not the active steering rack or the column.....fingers crossed!

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:

Yes, especially if not properly torqued on install.

I get mine up on jack stands & slide under on a creeper....no worries....
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:20 PM   #15
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep

Quote:
So I checked the flange bolts and everything seems to be tightened.....I had my GF rev the car while I tried to listen to see where the flapping noise is coming from, and it's coming from my exhaust(the actual mufflers). Funny I never really heard that and I've had my exhaust for about a year or so lol.....

As for the PS, I cranked the wheel from lock to lock a few times and left the car on for a few seconds before turning it off, per DIY guide for PS flush, and it seemed a bit better. I'll have to keep an ear out for the noise and report back.....I really hope it's not the active steering rack or the column.....fingers crossed!
N54 or N52? Either way, it's an exhaust prob I haven't seen - anyone?

There's just gotta be a good PS fluid flush DIY - maybe the one you've accessed. Have not done it myself, but if dirty, certainly worth your time. Likely uses little fluid & is inexpensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have an N54, Vanguard catless exhaust.....I torqued all the bolts and they seemed to be tight.

There is a DIY on the PS flush.....Didn't seem hard at all, similar to changing the oil in my car.

I haven't driven my car yet today, I'll see tomorrow if the noise on steering persists or eliminated.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So I went and tried to flush my PS fluid today.....I also found out that since I have AS, there's a module (assuming it's the AS power module) in the way, and I could not have moved it either. So I couldn't find the 'drain' bolt, but according to the DIY pictures, it would have been around where the module is.....

Anyone with AS and had their PS fluid flushed? Please chime in....

I thought it would be an easy fix with my PS issues, but.....

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
nmswenson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Fluids?...

Just had my car diagnosed for this same "gunk gunk" sound. They told me that it was the steering rack. Did some research and found out that there are two kinds of fluid that can be added to the power steering... Pentosin CHF 11 S(Green stick on resevoir cap), and ATF Dextron III(Black cap, no sticker). My green sticker fell off thousands of miles ago... I'm wondering if they added ATF fluid to mine, and if the mixing of the two fluids is what is causing the nosies coming from my steering rack? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I heard you're NOT suppose to mix anything....

I used Pentosin CHF-11s, to top off my PS fluid.

Do you have Active Steering?

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
nmswenson
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Mileage

I don't have active steering. I'm wondering if I should try flushing the system before I have the steering rack replaced. I'm at 119k miles... How many miles did you have on your car when you started hearing the sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE with pics....

So I managed to take some pics while I was down there. Just to try and show you guys what I was referring to....In the last pic, that module with the electrical plug, was what I didn't see in the DIY. I also think that because that module is there, it's much harder to reach the actual 'drain' bolt on the unit....

So I was thinking, maybe if I turned the steering wheel one way or the other while she's on jack stands, would that help expose the 'drain' bolt better?

These pics were taken when the steering wheel was straight....

TIA
Attached Images

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bump!!

Really? No one? So I guess I'M the ONLY one with AS and wanting to flush my PS fluid? LOL.....

Just want to know how to access the drain bolt associated with the AS on the PS unit....

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0