E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > major scare after replacing brake pads!

11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

major scare after replacing brake pads!

Last night I recently replaced my front brake with the new oem front pads. Everything went smooth enough but when I was going for the test run, I hit the brake pedal just to have it sink to the floor! I freaked out, who wouldn't going at 45 with a stop coming up soon, and I had to pump the brakes a few times to actually stop. Scared out of my mind, I pulled over, inspected the brakes some more and went back home. Has anyone had these problems???
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Was it your first brake application after changing the pads? You should have pumped the brakes before driving to push fluid back into the calipers and push the pads against the rotor before driving.

If you bled your brakes, then you might have air bubbles. Bleed again.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Was it your first brake application after changing the pads? You should have pumped the brakes before driving to push fluid back into the calipers and push the pads against the rotor before driving.

If you bled your brakes, then you might have air bubbles. Bleed again.
I pumped the brakes for about 5 minutes before actually hitting the road, the first time turning the car on led to the pedal sinking as well but then turned back to normal. I didn't bleed my brakes but I feel like I might need to if this problem persists
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Not a pleasant experience! Did you pump the brakes with the engine running before taking to the road? It should only require a few pump actions of the brake pedal to restore positive (normal) pressure, certainly not require 5 minutes of pumping. When last have you checked your brake fluid level?

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Not a pleasant experience! Did you pump the brakes with the engine running before taking to the road? It should only require a few pump actions of the brake pedal to restore positive (normal) pressure, certainly not require 5 minutes of pumping. When last have you checked your brake fluid level?
I pumped it before and after turning the car on, I also checked the brake fluid level prior to taking it on the road but it wasn't a pleasant experience for sure, it also made me piss my pants lol I honestly thought I was going to slam into the car in front of me and luckily, I was able to stop in time
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I pumped the brakes for about 5 minutes before actually hitting the road, the first time turning the car on led to the pedal sinking as well but then turned back to normal. I didn't bleed my brakes but I feel like I might need to if this problem persists

You know what to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
You know what to do.
When I changed my pads last time I didnt have to bleed the brake system. Why would it happen now?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Do you think that possibly the pads were binding up when you first tried to seat them after the install and didn't seat all the way, and then when you finally got on them on the road, the slipped and seated all the way? Because it doesn't sounds like a fluid issue since you did not open the bleeder valve during the install.

But its never a bad idea to bleed anyway.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
You need to bleed your brakes everytime you change pads... lol! There should not be any air in your fluid... your pedal sinked becoz of the air pockets in your fluid... you should bleed them out or it is going to happen again...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzylildude View Post
You need to bleed your brakes everytime you change pads... lol! There should not be any air in your fluid... your pedal sinked becoz of the air pockets in your fluid... you should bleed them out or it is going to happen again...
Really? Is it because I depressed the pads so its throwing air back into the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
Do you think that possibly the pads were binding up when you first tried to seat them after the install and didn't seat all the way, and then when you finally got on them on the road, the slipped and seated all the way? Because it doesn't sounds like a fluid issue since you did not open the bleeder valve during the install.

But its never a bad idea to bleed anyway.
Hmmm that might be it I'm not sure, I did a full bedding procedure last night and the brakes felt slightly better. Maybe I need to redo it again tonight and hopefully it gets better. But the brakes might've taken time to seat but the pedal isn't sinking as bad as it was before
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
You need to bleed your brakes everytime you change pads
Why? How would air enter the system in a typical pad change where you're not opening up the caliper?

Not that it'd ever hurt to bleed the system and pull out any contaminants that might be in the cylinders, but I'm curious as to your claim that one needs to do so every time you change pads. Is there something special about BMW's that's different from all the other marques?

kiwi29: whats your pedal feel like now? Your experiences sounds a LOT like raceyBMW's suggestion. If everything is normal now, that might have been it. If you still have a soft pedal then something's up with the system and it's time to bleed if for no reason but to eliminate that possibility.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
If it were me, I would take the wheels off again just for peace of mind, and make sure that the pads are all seated in the caliper housing correctly. Its a pain, but can't be too safe when it comes to the brakes, especially if you suspect something is up.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Air does not get into your brake system just because you replaced the pads....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
Maybe OP opened up the brake fluid reservoir so he can depress the pistons? It will bubble up on the reservoir if you do that... or maybe clogged brake lines...

This typically happens when you install new pads but not always... It is safer to Bleed and Bed your brakes...

Last edited by crzylildude; 11-05-2012 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
I thought it was possible because I had the caliper hanging a bit lower than normal and maybe it opened an air leak
Quote:
Originally Posted by raceyBMW View Post
If it were me, I would take the wheels off again just for peace of mind, and make sure that the pads are all seated in the caliper housing correctly. Its a pain, but can't be too safe when it comes to the brakes, especially if you suspect something is up.
I plan on doing that tomorrow and hopefully I don't find any kinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Why? How would air enter the system in a typical pad change where you're not opening up the caliper?

Not that it'd ever hurt to bleed the system and pull out any contaminants that might be in the cylinders, but I'm curious as to your claim that one needs to do so every time you change pads. Is there something special about BMW's that's different from all the other marques?

kiwi29: whats your pedal feel like now? Your experiences sounds a LOT like raceyBMW's suggestion. If everything is normal now, that might have been it. If you still have a soft pedal then something's up with the system and it's time to bleed if for no reason but to eliminate that possibility.
I have been taking his advice and it actually helped a lot
Quote:
Maybe OP opened up the brake fluid reservoir so he can depress the pistons? It will bubble up on the reservoir if you do that... or maybe clogged brake lines...

This typically happens when you install new pads but not always... It is safer to Bleed and Bed your brakes...
I never opened the reservoir when I depressed the pistons, I figured I should've though, I might need to bleed the brake system again
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

Bleed the brakes and you are fine.

Dont ask why you need to, but a bleed ofter a pad change is just a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #17
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
truth.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoosting View Post
Bleed the brakes and you are fine.

Dont ask why you need to, but a bleed ofter a pad change is just a good idea.
No questions here lol I'm gonna just need an extra set of hands and about a few hours lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
truth.
I just thought maybe because I compressed the piston again that it would've pushed air into the reservoir ? Would that be possible?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #19
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Well, I can see a ton of mechanics making $$ for nothin here - NEVER in my life have I heard that you need to bleed your brakes after a pad change & it is definitely not necessary...

> Only time you need to bleed brakes is if the system has been opened to the air, such as disconnecting a brake line, or replacing a master cylinder/caliper, etc.

> And opening up the cap on your reservoir doesn't introduce air into the system either (unless you have no fluid in there and pump the pedal).

I've been changing my own pads, on more different cars that I have owned, than I can remember, since 1976 & have NEVER bled the brakes after simple pad change.

> If the brakes didn't need bled before the change, they don't after. It isn't even needed as routine maintenance - if there is no air leak in your system there is no way for the air to enter.

> Now, I agree that brake system needs to be completely flushed/refilled with fresh fluid every 2 yrs - but this is only to refresh the fluid which can/will absorb water over time.

> Pushing the caliper piston back in to housing to allow for new thicker pads does not let air into the system - the piston is sealed in bore. If moving the piston added air - then every time you use the brakes air would enter.

> Air in your system does not result in your pedal going to the floor either. Air in the system gives you a 'spongy' feel when you apply the brakes - as air is not compressible in a hydraulic system.

> Pads that are not 'bedded in' don't result in pedal going to floor either. Bedding in simply transfers pad material to the rotor (if done correctly) to enhance braking ability. Mostly this is done with aftermarket hi performance pads - not OEM. Hell, there are tons of pads being changed every day by dealers (including BMW), or ind. shops that are never bedded in. They change your brakes - you pay - get in the car & drive off. All (4) of my rotors/pads have been changed under warranty with OEM, nary a mention on needing bedded in, and brake performance is as when new.

As mentioned, you always start car, pump up brakes after a pad change - simply to move piston/pad combo back out into contact with rotor after you have retracted the piston fully during swap. This should take like 3-5 pumps on the pedal max, not 5 minutes of pumping.

If it took you 5 min to get any pedal feel, and then they still weren't good upon 1st use - then you have problems other than what can be fixed by a simple pad change.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 11-06-2012 at 04:00 AM..
Appreciate 2
Wolf 3352338.50
OlliD28.50
      11-06-2012, 03:46 AM   #20
Dellirium
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

All correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Well, I can see a ton of mechanics making $$ for nothin here - NEVER in my life have I heard that you need to bleed your brakes after a pad change & it is definitely not necessary...

> Only time you need to bleed brakes is if the system has been opened to the air, such as diconecting a brake line, or replacing a master cylinder/caliper, etc.

> And opening up the cap on your reservoir doesn't introduce air into the system either (unless you have no fluid in there and pump the pedal).

I've been changing my own pads, on more different cars that I have owned, than I can remember, since 1976 & have NEVER bled the brakes after simple pad change.

> If the brakes didn't need bled before the change, they don't after. It isn't even needed as routine maintenance - if there is no air leak in your system there is no way for the air to enter.

> Now, I agree that brake system needs to be completely flushed/refilled with fresh fluid every 2 yrs - but this is only to refresh the fluid which can/will absorb water over time.

> Pushing the caliper piston back in to housing to allow for new thicker pads does not let air into the system - the piston is sealed in bore. If moving the piston added air - then every time you use the brakes air would enter.

> Air in your system does not result in your pedal going to the floor either. Air in the system gives you a 'spongy' feel when you apply the brakes - as air is not compressible in a hydraulic system.

> Pads that are not 'bedded in' don't result in pedal going to floor either. Bedding in simply transfers pad material to the rotor (if done correctly) to enhance braking ability. Mostly this is done with aftermarket hi performance pads - not OEM. Hell, there are tons of pads being changed every day by dealers (including BMW), or ind. shops that are never bedded in. They change your brakes - you pay - get in the car & drive off. All (4) of my rotors/pads have been changed under warranty with OEM, nary a mention on needing bedded in, and brake performance is as when new.

As mentioned, you always start car, pump up brakes after a pad change - simply to move piston/pad combo back out into contact with rotor after you have retracted the piston fully during swap. This should take like 3-5 pumps on the pedal max, not 5 minutes of pumping.

If it took you 5 min to get any pedal feel, and then they still weren't good upon 1st use - then you have problems other than what can be fixed by a simple pad change.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #21
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post

> Only time you need to bleed brakes is if the system has been opened to the air, such as disconnecting a brake line, or replacing a master cylinder/caliper, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellirium View Post
All correct.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #22
A8494
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

BMW 2015 upgrade to original F30 M Performance brakes kit issue

Hi Guys,

i upgraded my BMW 320 2015 brake kit to the original F30 brake kit. i found it is completely different while driving. the brake pedal goes to the floor it is really annoying.

actually it doesn't goes too much to the floor, but my concern that it doesn't look right but the guy who done for me says it is normal !
any one had same issue, please share it with me. many thanks
Appreciate 0