E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > What if your vehicle gets stolen?

11-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #1
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

What if your vehicle gets stolen?

I was wondering... what if your car gets stolen, damaged a bit and then recovered?

If you have full coverage and the damage and or missing parts don't total it out does it still get a theft recovery title? Which obviously drops the value dramatically...

What if it gets stolen, and recovered and nothings wrong with it or minor things are wrong with it? Does it become a theft recovery titled car?
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 03:50 AM   #2
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Theft recovery is also known as salvage title. I honestly don't know much about the subject, just throwing that out there.

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Turbo>NA
xbox gamertag: HuGeBluEmOnKeY
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M-Sport LCI

you go find it

E92 335i alpine white | black dokota | auto | zpp | zsp | heated | iPod
- ltbmw : vorsteiner : linea corsa : h&r : k&n : e92-lighting : expectalot-vinyl -
--GONE--
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i honestly wouldnt want the car back if that happened
      11-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Yeah, if I walk out the door somewhere and noticed my car's gone, I'm not rushing to the phone right away. The longer the time passes, the less chance they'll find it. If somebody takes my car, they can keep it. I don't want it back. Just give me my insurance money, please.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
your car isn't stolen
=)
it's playing hide / seek with you
hehehe.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

What I am wondering is if you get it back, and it's not totalled from stuff being damaged, or taken off it does it automatically become a theft salvage title and you get to have it back? Or does it only get a theft recovery title if it gets totaled out and when that happens you don't have to take it back just get the insurance money.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Theft recovery is also known as salvage title. I honestly don't know much about the subject, just throwing that out there.
No it's not. They are seperate things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9 View Post
What I am wondering is if you get it back, and it's not totalled from stuff being damaged, or taken off it does it automatically become a theft salvage title and you get to have it back? Or does it only get a theft recovery title if it gets totaled out and when that happens you don't have to take it back just get the insurance money.
No it does not. A salvaged vehicle is a vehicle that has been totalled and then repaired or "salvaged". If your vehicle is recovered with no damage and no money is paid out on that car by your insurance company, you will go back to things as they always were.

The idea that a theft recovery = salvaged title comes from your car being stolen for an extended amount of time, and the insurance company paying out for a total loss (the value of the car). If the vehicle is then recovered afterwards, the title will get a salvage marking due to it being "totalled out". There are ways to remove salvage titles in most states.