E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > arseholes on bikes.

08-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I have to travel to and from work with a large stretch of single lane road and I'm often stuck in a tailback of 30 to 40 cars and you know it's either a tractor or a cyclist. You can never pass because there's a queue of cars coming the other way, also stuck behind a cyclist.

They never pull of the road for a minute to let the backlog go like slow vehicles used to do in the past - and some still do to this day. Not the cyclists. They have rights! The cyclists in my neck of the woods at least, have absolutely zero consideration for other road users.

I reckon they add at least 25 minutes a day to my commute, two hours of my life every week that I'll never get back.

I'm getting to the point some days, where I feel like shouting abuse at them when I do finally get by - something I've never done in my life.
the joke is those tailbacks are using far more fuel than the cyclists are saving!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #24
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I have to travel to and from work with a large stretch of single lane road and I'm often stuck in a tailback of 30 to 40 cars and you know it's either a tractor or a cyclist. You can never pass because there's a queue of cars coming the other way, also stuck behind a cyclist.

They never pull of the road for a minute to let the backlog go like slow vehicles used to do in the past - and some still do to this day. Not the cyclists. They have rights! The cyclists in my neck of the woods at least, have absolutely zero consideration for other road users.

I reckon they add at least 25 minutes a day to my commute, two hours of my life every week that I'll never get back.

I'm getting to the point some days, where I feel like shouting abuse at them when I do finally get by - something I've never done in my life.
Lol Alan.

On Friday I was stuck behind 20 cars queuing behind a combine harvester in turn queueing behind a fat bloke in lycra on a bike.

Any slow moving vehicles causing an obstruction should pull over now and then, bikes included. Sure that's in the highway code?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #25
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

You should do what a mate of mine did as he was so pissed off with them slowing his commute... he angled his washer jet at them and squirted them as he drove passed!

Small victory
      08-03-2014, 02:56 AM   #26
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Have you ever considered that horses and cyclists were using the roads long before cars? Obviously cars are bigger and faster which apparently gives them the right to intimidate and bully slower forms of transport off the road.

Probably just adds to the issue of diabetes, heart disease and obesity that we have in this country and a general intolerant attitude to many things in life. I personally blame the pace of life here in the UK, too fast with too much pressure on people on a daily basis means that many people are in too much of a rush and don't give a toss about others in general, not just cyclists.

Go away from the UK to elsewhere in Europe and it's a night and day difference. As said, the issue goes way beyond cyclists and at general intolerance to people in general affects us all.

Rant over ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 05:12 AM   #27
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
As a BMW driver and a keen cyclist who covers around 6000 miles a year on my bike I can tell you that there are idiots who ride bikes and idiots who drive cars. To conclude some people are just arseholes irrespective of their mode of transport, ethnic background, religion.....blah blah blah
This is true , Cnuts every where you go in life

I have either been made more aware of cyclists or there is just more about now but I have to say the percentage that are cnuts has defo increased , I was In Rainham on Thursday and watched one ride straight through a red light how he didn't get killed was a miracle ,I think the car driver must have shat herself and was totally blameless ,If it had ended in a accident I would have stayed and defended her . I ride but only on the downs on a MTB
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 06:25 AM   #28
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
This is true , Cnuts every where you go in life

I have either been made more aware of cyclists or there is just more about now but I have to say the percentage that are cnuts has defo increased , I was In Rainham on Thursday and watched one ride straight through a red light how he didn't get killed was a miracle ,I think the car driver must have shat herself and was totally blameless ,If it had ended in a accident I would have stayed and defended her . I ride but only on the downs on a MTB
I definitely agree that there does seem to be a significant number of cyclists who don't think that they need to abide by the highway code. I often ride to work and will stop at traffic lights only to see others riding straight through them. Nine times out of ten after the lights change I'll fly straight by them within a couple of minutes. In general although technically cyclists these aren't what I would call proper cyclists. In general they are the fair weather type that only go out in the summer when the Tour de France is on.

I do know that the police can give on the spot fines for this type of thing but as bikes aren't identifiable it's a lot easier for them to get away with it. That is of course until they get mowed down and killed for their lack of common sense and stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
bazz780
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 330d m sport

I had a run in with a cyclist 2 days ago, he was cycling in a car only lane as the cycle lane diverts to the pavement for a short narrow two lane stretch, he was holding traffic up and swerving to avoid the optional pot holes/drain covers we pay tax for

Anyway....

As i drove past i simply reminded him that cycle lane is on the pavement to which he started swearing really loud and as i looked in my mirror he continued cycling approx 50 yards with his fingers gesturing at me

I became so furious i actually stopped in the road as there were no cars behind and as he caught up to me he shouted 'i will f@@king cycle where i want

As i got out of the car he cycled off as if nothing happened, i let it go as a favour to the old guy as had i let my temper get the best of me i surely would have done something to regret later

How pathetic! They dont even have concern for their own safety when it is in their own hands!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #30
Touringchris
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330D Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
Have you ever considered that horses and cyclists were using the roads long before cars? Obviously cars are bigger and faster which apparently gives them the right to intimidate and bully slower forms of transport off the road.

Probably just adds to the issue of diabetes, heart disease and obesity that we have in this country and a general intolerant attitude to many things in life. I personally blame the pace of life here in the UK, too fast with too much pressure on people on a daily basis means that many people are in too much of a rush and don't give a toss about others in general, not just cyclists.

Go away from the UK to elsewhere in Europe and it's a night and day difference. As said, the issue goes way beyond cyclists and at general intolerance to people in general affects us all.

Rant over ;-)

+1 about the pace of life.

Just back from Amsterdam and its a complete shock how bikes, cars and trams manage without killing each other.

But unfortunately I have to agree cyclist do seem to be a little too confident. 2 abreast is a silly idea to start with, and they should know when they are in the wrong.

I do cycle but am so dubious about being knocked off (by accident) or being in someone's way I often find quieter routes to save any problems.

Agreed that there is a lack of patience from all party's over here though.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #31
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringchris View Post
+1 about the pace of life.

Just back from Amsterdam and its a complete shock how bikes, cars and trams manage without killing each other.

But unfortunately I have to agree cyclist do seem to be a little too confident. 2 abreast is a silly idea to start with, and they should know when they are in the wrong.

I do cycle but am so dubious about being knocked off (by accident) or being in someone's way I often find quieter routes to save any problems.

Agreed that there is a lack of patience from all party's over here though.
I am a VERY patient person and would rather give way than go first and cause an accident BUT when you have to put up with cyclists day after day actually abusing you when you give way to them and waving their arms telling to get over the red mist will descend on even a saint and perhaps its this that starts the whole thing of mutual dislike. quite simply the cyclists should be treated like other vehicle users, tax insurance licence plate and made to abide by the laws of the road, perhaps they would then not be so damned ignorant.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #32
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

had another one today (not making this up, seriously), single track road a lorry comes the other way so I pull into a small layby, the lorry and a car pass, check the mirror and reverse, crash I thought id a fence or something, get out of the car theres a bloody cyclist! I couldn't see him because hes was up my backside right in the blindspot. he said you should look where youre going at which point and explained a few facts to him, hes bloody luck I wasn't in a van or lorry or hed be another statistic. any way was in Halfords so I had a look for a sign advertising free brain removal with every new bike but couldn't see one so they must be getting it done elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:16 PM   #33
JP.Williams
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

I haven't read this entire thread maybe there are some cyclist in here.

But I for one cycle daily from Kent into London. (13 miles each way)

I often come across cars or vans who will go past me and then stop along side the curb blocking my route. What's the point in that!

So then cyclist get annoyed. It's a vicious circle really. I will admit daily I will HAVE to shout abuse at someone because they either want to cut me up. Hit me. Or simply not want to let me through.

Now I'm one of the few who will always say thanks if someone makes a gap for me etc.
Like wise when I'm driving I will think of cyclist and motorbike allowing them room to get through and void them hitting my car.

The only way to actually experience what a London cyclist goes through is to actually do it for a prolonged period of time. It can be so much fun but very stressful at time due to certain car drivers and actually motorbike riders. Who ZOOM past you very close creating a suction pulling you closer to more dangers.

From your first post I can't see the riders issue but I do have an general issue with vans as they don't look left. Where we will be riding. And they have many blind spots. They are just dangerous to cycle around.

Oh and to answer someone else's question I spent more on my bike alone then my first and second cars. Over 2K for the bike. Then you have to consider the clothing shoes etc. People take a lot of pride in their bikes and don't want to be knocked off. (Carbon bikes will crack and the frame will have to be replaced £ £ £ )

Rant over
      08-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #34
captaindirk
Rep
Drives: 325d

PS. Im not a cyclist.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #35
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
quite simply the cyclists should be treated like other vehicle users, tax insurance licence plate and made to abide by the laws of the road,
With regards to the TAX thing as VED is based on CO2 emissions then cyclists wouldn't pay any tax in any case. It's also fair to say that most cyclists also own cars and pay VED anyway. Lastly as we can all leave our cars on the drive and ride a bike if we wish to then I can't really understand the logic with this statement. If it's such a good deal give it a go!

As for abiding by the highway code I know that cyclists are every bit accountable as road users when they get caught. You can get fined for running a red light etc although admittedly it'll only happen if you get clocked and caught by a policeman. Sure plenty of cyclists ignore the highway code but we all know that they aren't alone.

Not sure how the licence thing would work or how it would be possible with kids on bikes etc. It would just add more expense to parenting!

Just been over in France for two weeks, with the BMW and the bike. Great place for both, smooth roads for my run flats and nice patient courteous motorists when I'm riding my bike.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 02:11 AM   #36
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

you forgot insurance. what happens when a cyclist scrapes his brake lever down the side of your car and leaves you with a £500 repair bill and rides off into the sunset.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #37
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
you forgot insurance. what happens when a cyclist scrapes his brake lever down the side of your car and leaves you with a £500 repair bill and rides off into the sunset.
The vast majority of cyclists prefer not to go anywhere near cars as they'll normally come off worse. I have however heard plenty of stories about knocking door mirrors off etc and whilst I would never condone this type of behaviour the majority of these incidents happen as a reaction to an earlier event. For example we were out riding one day when a guy in a Porsche with his girlfriend sitting next to him decided to blast his horn and give out general abuse for no reason at all. A few minutes later when he was stationary at some traffic lights one of the guys I was with sought revenge. As mentioned I wouldn't condone this but I'm sure it will focus the Porsche drivers mind when being unnecessarily intolerant in future.

I've never actually heard of anyone accidentally damaging a car before but I agree with you in so much as I'd be pissed off if it happened to me. Equally though it's very easy to cause £500 worth of damage to a good carbon fibre road bike and equally easy to drive of whilst the cyclist is lying in a ditch.

Many 'proper' cyclists have insurance anyway although not a requirement by law and most have third party liability insurance through other insurance policies such as home insurance etc.

I hope I come across as unbiased with what I'm saying. As you know I'm a keen cyclist and BMW driver, I just think that as a general rule of life we all need to learn to be more tolerant of each other and it'll make for a nice environment for us all.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #38
marknjayne
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

cyclists do my head in,arrogant,righteous,think they own the road and cars should look out for them ....then they ride 2/3/4 abreast on a duel carriageway.....get a bloody mountain bike and bugger off into the woods..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 02:49 PM   #39
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknjayne View Post
cyclists do my head in,arrogant,righteous,think they own the road and cars should look out for them ....then they ride 2/3/4 abreast on a duel carriageway.....get a bloody mountain bike and bugger off into the woods..
about says it all!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #40
CraigUK
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
about says it all!
It definitely reinforces the first point I made in this post
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:46 PM   #41
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
What gets to me is when drivers decide they would rather have a head on with me than a narrow miss with a cyclist, by giving them almost an entire lane of space. Beyond belief some of the drivers out there.

Also the ones that emergency stop behind a cyclist when all it takes is a minuscule amount of judgement to safely pass. Seriously
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #42
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

I got nothing against cyclists, but had to pass a few on the drive down to Kent this weekend... They seem to have bigger arses and wider elbows than anything on the roads...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #43
rufnekfatboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Conv

I think Lee Evans in a tractor would be easier to pass(if you seen his vid)

It seems to be about small man syndrome..... and if you are in tight fitting stuff then all the better......
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #44
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceaton88 View Post
What gets to me is when drivers decide they would rather have a head on with me than a narrow miss with a cyclist, by giving them almost an entire lane of space. Beyond belief some of the drivers out there.

Also the ones that emergency stop behind a cyclist when all it takes is a minuscule amount of judgement to safely pass. Seriously
^^this - above all else mentioned.

If more people could drive properly, the traffic tailbacks would not be an issue and drivers and cyclists would be less frustrated by each other. Nothing pisses me off more when I'm on the road bike (which isn't that often, as I prefer riding offroad for this very reason I'm about to mention) than having someone dawdling along behind me when there is enough room to get a Hummer past....sideways. Makes me feel like a cunt, when I'm already as close to the kerb as I can manage. More ofthen than not, I end up having to turn off the road just to let some spatially inept fuck-knuckle go past - it's generally speaking not the cyclists fault so many people have this strange concept that you need to give a cyclist an entire lanes width berth as you pass. I'd rather cars just came past at a sensible speed and sensible distance, as I'm sure most other cyclists would. Just like when I'm in the car, I never feel the need to shout obscenities at any other road user/passing traffic regardless of if I'm on the road bike or on the motorbike - as that really does make you look a right bellend regardless.

Whilst I concur there are a number of lycra clad warriors thanks to the Olympics, to be fair to the majority of cyclists, you can only ride so close to the kerb on many roads, as the roads are not maintained or resurfaced properly and the gutter is a dangerous place to ride - with massive drops into drains, etc. When the Government set about this whole "cycle network" thing, they didn't make the roads any wider, they jsut painted the shitty, potholed bit that drivers try and avoid green.

The people with all the gear and no idea, and the weekend warriors that cycling a pack blocking the whole lane are not what I'm talking about - they're knobbers - what I'm talking about are people that cycle regularly all year.

Last edited by Russbmw; 08-28-2014 at 08:16 AM..
Appreciate 0