E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > how do you fix ripped/cracking leather?

04-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

how do you fix ripped/cracking leather?

I have a few rips, crakcs and a light burn on my seat, any diy fixtures for it? I don't have real leather, I have the mtech seats. Please help, I don't wanna spend a grand on re wrapping it over again
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
I have a few rips, crakcs and a light burn on my seat, any diy fixtures for it? I don't have real leather, I have the mtech seats. Please help, I don't wanna spend a grand on re wrapping it over again
look around for a vinyl/leather repair guy. They can fix the seats for easy and cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

what are mtech seats? theyre different from sport seats??
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
look around for a vinyl/leather repair guy. They can fix the seats for easy and cheap.
I got quoted for 100 bucks for some tiny tears :/ any recommendations ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
what are mtech seats? theyre different from sport seats??
To be honest I'm not sure but its the same design as the dash
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

mtech seats are pleather, sport seats are real leather, but 100 bux for the repair is a fair price.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Does anyone know where I can buy new sports seats?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ant View Post
mtech seats are pleather, sport seats are real leather, but 100 bux for the repair is a fair price.
Hmmmm well it doesn't seem logical because they're only tiny messups, is there a way to do it myself?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Hey Ant
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #9
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Hmmmm well it doesn't seem logical because they're only tiny messups, is there a way to do it myself?
100 bucks isn't bad at all. At my uncles dealer we would pay 75 for a couple little tears and that was with our repeat customer discount. I once had a tube of deodorant melt on my seat and it left a discolored circle he airbrushed it with the same color you couldnt even tell and it lasted for 2+ years. Sure you could probably do it yourself but the guy doing it is going to have a wide selection of colors and years of experience doing it. And if you feel ilke messing up a seat to try and save yourself 50 bucks thats up to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy new sports seats?
Id just browse on here for some M seats or used sport seats. People usually sell them every so often
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Ant View Post
Sweet thanks ill try this lol but my rip isn't that severe
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
100 bucks isn't bad at all. At my uncles dealer we would pay 75 for a couple little tears and that was with our repeat customer discount. I once had a tube of deodorant melt on my seat and it left a discolored circle he airbrushed it with the same color you couldnt even tell and it lasted for 2+ years. Sure you could probably do it yourself but the guy doing it is going to have a wide selection of colors and years of experience doing it. And if you feel ilke messing up a seat to try and save yourself 50 bucks thats up to you.
True, ima see where my wallet leads me. Thanks for the heads up
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I totally agree - $100 is nothing...

I worked for a custom auto upholstery shop while in college. There's a lot of labor involved in replacing individual damaged seat material panels.

Obviously, seat covers are made of seperate individual panels stitched together to make an entire seat cover.

To replace a damaged section you first have to order the matching material, remove the seat from the car, remove the seat cover, mark and cut out the damaged panel from where it is stitched to the others, use that piece to trace/cut out the new panel, sew the new panel into the seat cover, replace the seat cover, & finally install the seat back in the car.

I wouldn't touch the job for $100 unless it was only (1) panel that needed replaced.
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:44 AM   #12
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I totally agree - $100 is nothing...

I worked for a custom auto upholstery shop while in college. There's a lot of labor involved in replacing individual damaged seat material panels.

Obviously, seat covers are made of seperate individual panels stitched together to make an entire seat cover.

To replace a damaged section you first have to order the matching material, remove the seat from the car, remove the seat cover, mark and cut out the damaged panel from where it is stitched to the others, use that piece to trace/cut out the new panel, sew the new panel into the seat cover, replace the seat cover, & finally install the seat back in the car.

I wouldn't touch the job for $100 unless it was only (1) panel that needed replaced.
Definitely keeping that in mind, any recommendations for a place around the socal area?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I just repaired my driver's seat a month ago. BMW sells the seat covers as replacement parts. They are pretty reasonably priced (if compared to having a shop remake the cover or replace panels on the cover). I paid an upholstery shop about $380 to replace the upper and lower foam and upper seat cover. It was about 6 hours labor and included removal and replacement of the seat in the car. The upper cover I think was about $300.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
I just repaired my driver's seat a month ago. BMW sells the seat covers as replacement parts. They are pretty reasonably priced (if compared to having a shop remake the cover or replace panels on the cover). I paid an upholstery shop about $380 to replace the upper and lower foam and upper seat cover. It was about 6 hours labor and included removal and replacement of the seat in the car. The upper cover I think was about $300.
covers? i've never heard of them selling seat covers as replacements? O.O please enlighten me on how this one works. is it just like a walmart style strap over? or is it one where you'd have to remove the old leather and replace it with the new one?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #15
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

I work at a toyota dealership and have done some seat work. You use a "cover" which goes over the foam. You remove the factory clotch/leather which is held on by a series of pins and then put the new on. It can be a pain in the ass but if you have done it a few times its not too bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
covers? i've never heard of them selling seat covers as replacements? O.O please enlighten me on how this one works. is it just like a walmart style strap over? or is it one where you'd have to remove the old leather and replace it with the new one?
Well just because you never heard of "them" selling seat covers as replacemets doesn't mean the parts don't exist.

It works by going on realoem.com, looking up your car by entering the last 7 digits of your VIN. Looking under the parts header name "seats", looking at the pretty pictures and deciding what OEM seat part you need to replace, buying it, and either taking it to a shop to do the replacement work, or DIY.

I'll make it easy for you; google P/N 52106956391 and see what comes up.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Well just because you never heard of "them" selling seat covers as replacemets doesn't mean the parts don't exist.

It works by going on realoem.com, looking up your car by entering the last 7 digits of your VIN. Looking under the parts header name "seats", looking at the pretty pictures and deciding what OEM seat part you need to replace, buying it, and either taking it to a shop to do the replacement work, or DIY.

I'll make it easy for you; google P/N 52106956391 and see what comes up.
Wait could I slowly build my sports seats like that?
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
ENINTY
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Probably, if the seat frame is the same...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
BAMxi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [10.00]
I had a big tear in the outside bolster of my driver's seat and a bunch of wear on the edge from the previous owner getting in/out when I bought my car. I took it to a good local auto trim shop and had the whole section replaced for $100. They did a good enough job so that you can't even tell unless you get very close and notice the replacement piece is slightly smoother than the rest of the seat. But you'd never know if you weren't looking specifically for it. I also have leatherette. Mine is black.
      04-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Might as well get m3 seating
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
Kuch335
2007 335i E92
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 TiAg, 2011 X3 35i

actually tried one of those Permatex leather repair kits you buy off the shelf at the auto parts store for a 1in cut in the leather in my wife's lexus.. they're black seats, so I didn't get into color matching, and it actually worked surprisingly well.. practically invisible and has held strong for over a year now..
2007 335i E92 AT - MHD E85 Flash, xHP Stage 3 , MR5 Intake, VRSF DPs, VRSF 7in FMIC, ER CP, Fuel-It Stage 1, RB PCV, UUC Corsa Exhaust, BL R8 Coils, Sachs SRE Coilovers, M3 Control Arms, H&R Sway, BA Diff Lock, MDF Scoops, Tint, CF Hood, Mini Battery :: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i - MHD Stage 1, Alum Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuch123 View Post
actually tried one of those Permatex leather repair kits you buy off the shelf at the auto parts store for a 1in cut in the leather in my wife's lexus.. they're black seats, so I didn't get into color matching, and it actually worked surprisingly well.. practically invisible and has held strong for over a year now..
Was the work hard? Ona scale of 1-10 10 being the hardest what would u rate it?
Appreciate 0