E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Going from stock m-sport suspension to ... ?

02-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #1
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Going from stock m-sport suspension to ... ?

Time is drawing near for a new suspension set up. Just want a quick and sweet input from those who are willing, as to what brand I should be going for. I like the m-sport, but if Im dropping a pretty penny, might as well drop a lil bit more for something that could be alot better..

For those who help, thanks for your time!
      02-24-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

That's pretty open ended and can result in all kinds of suggestions. What are your goals? Stock height? Lowered a bit? Slammed? Daily driver? Spirited daily driver? Track time? Do you need adjustability...ride height or damping/compression? What do you like about your stock suspension? What don't you like? Comfort? Budget? In other words, help us help you.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
That's pretty open ended and can result in all kinds of suggestions. What are your goals? Stock height? Lowered a bit? Slammed? Daily driver? Spirited daily driver? Track time? Do you need adjustability...ride height or damping/compression? What do you like about your stock suspension? What don't you like? Comfort? Budget? In other words, help us help you.
Yeah, you're right... Sorry about that!
(please bear with me, very much a scrub when it comes to this kinda stuff...)
I like the stock height, a half inch lower might be cool, but I think it is good where it sits. Spirited daily, I enjoy taking some fast turns have a couple winding roads near home that I like to enjoy as well. I am unsure as to what damping/compression is all about, please enlighten me! I like how my car handles with the current suspension. I dont mind feeling the road, I like how responsive my current suspension is and the stiffness. It is comfortable the way it is when I cruise as well. Budget is not an issue, if a good set is up there in price, I can definitely hold off and stack some chips to acquire said setup. And stepping away from just shocks/struts/springs, what else should I be looking for whilst I am down there? I know there are many components that encompass the suspension system, just not very privy on what is good to replace and all that...

Sorry for such a general initial post, was on the app and the laziness took over.. Hopped on my computer for this response.

Thanks for your time/patience!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
Quote:
I like the stock height, a half inch lower might be cool, but I think it is good where it sits. Spirited daily, I enjoy taking some fast turns have a couple winding roads near home that I like to enjoy as well. I am unsure as to what damping/compression is all about, please enlighten me! I like how my car handles with the current suspension. I dont mind feeling the road, I like how responsive my current suspension is and the stiffness. It is comfortable the way it is when I cruise as well. Budget is not an issue, if a good set is up there in price, I can definitely hold off and stack some chips to acquire said setup. And stepping away from just shocks/struts/springs, what else should I be looking for whilst I am down there? I know there are many components that encompass the suspension system, just not very privy on what is good to replace and all that...

Sorry for such a general initial post, was on the app and the laziness took over.. Hopped on my computer for this response.

Bilstein b12 kit with Hotchkiss adjustable swaybar endlinks. New surrounding hardware for the shocks & struts.

Couple that with at least m3 front control arms and new tie rods, and you will fall in love with your car all over again.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

There you go, that's a good suggestion right there. Some others that are popular are H&R or Eibach lowering springs, with Koni or Bilstein shocks/struts. H&R sport springs lower the car a bit more than the Eibachs. As to which shock/strut or spring is better, you'll have to search and read to see people's opinions on them. There's no "best" here, only what's best for the individual. Are you on run flat tires? Switching those to non run flats can offset the slightly stiffer ride you get with a sportier suspension while still increasing handling.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      02-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #6
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There you go, that's a good suggestion right there. Some others that are popular are H&R or Eibach lowering springs, with Koni or Bilstein shocks/struts. H&R sport springs lower the car a bit more than the Eibachs. As to which shock/strut or spring is better, you'll have to search and read to see people's opinions on them. There's no "best" here, only what's best for the individual. Are you on run flat tires? Switching those to non run flats can offset the slightly stiffer ride you get with a sportier suspension while still increasing handling.
definitely run with runflats.. only because the "TPMS" on my 06 is weird. there's not a real sensor within the tires, just feel safer with em on.
      03-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

I went with Ohlins, but haven't had time to install them yet.
Appreciate 2
Noir883.00
      03-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #8
dsjr2006
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E39 540iA, '09 E90 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2001 BMW 540i  [0.00]
Sounds like Koni/Bilstein shocks & struts along with the spring of your choice is the way to go. Might get flamed for this, but good coilovers for street duty are overkill and low cost coilovers are full of compromises to the point that you’d be better off with a quality spring and shock upgrade.
      03-03-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

If you like the current feel and stiffness, but would like to be a little bit firmer and lower, then get a kit with Bilstein OEM sport shocks and Dinan springs. Get a kit that replaces all the wear and tear parts at the same time, so you do it once, and do it right. Here is the kit:

Name:  b4 dinan e90.JPG
Views: 1202
Size:  497.5 KB

Quote:

Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      03-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Sounds like Koni/Bilstein shocks & struts along with the spring of your choice is the way to go. Might get flamed for this, but good coilovers for street duty are overkill and low cost coilovers are full of compromises to the point that you’d be better off with a quality spring and shock upgrade.
I appreciate the input! Gives me more options to look in to! Thanks!
      03-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #11
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

My wife's e90 328i has the stock m-sport suspension it rides great, sporty and refined. My 335i has the BMW Performance suspension. It is a totally different level. It sits around 1" lower and is perfect for a daily driver but is amazing in the curves and high speeds. In my opinion, BMW got it right with the performance suspension.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      03-03-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
steifan
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 325i M-Sport 2006, 323Ci 2000

The H&R Cup Kit Touring or Sport might be something to look into. Tried the B12 kit on my E46 but I'm thinking about getting the H&R kit with springs and dampers for my E90 M-Sport.

Example:
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...mw-hr-cup-kits
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      03-04-2018, 07:16 AM   #13
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
definitely run with runflats.. only because the "TPMS" on my 06 is weird. there's not a real sensor within the tires, just feel safer with em on.
Dude, I've run over 320,000 miles on non-runflats with the '06 speed-sensor based TPMS and have had no issues (used it 3 times BTW). You have a false concern. The speed-sensor based TPMS is way better than the pressure sensor version IMO because it is just as accurate (I have the pressure sensor version in my Z4) and has no extra electronics to worry about.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 03-04-2018 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      03-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #14
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Quote:
Dude, I've run over 320,000 miles on non-runflats with the '06 speed-sensor based TPMS and have had no issues (used it 3 times BTW). You have a false concern. The speed-sensor based TPMS is way better than the presser sensor version IMO because it is just as accurate (I have the pressure sensor version in my Z4) and has no extra electronics to worry about.
Music to my ears...
Thank you!
Seriously, barely figured the nature of our particular sensors last year when I put my 313s on! I told the guys to go ahead and swap the sensors into the new wheels and upon pickup: "uh, sir... There were no sensors in your old set nor the new set" I was pretty baffled!
      05-16-2018, 03:52 AM   #15
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

I went from the stock M-sport to Bilstein B12 & love it. I kept my factory brings in place though & grabbed every OEM E9X M3 compatible part off the shelf, along with H&R front & rear anti-roll bars & Power Flex business for the rear subframe...
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      05-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #16
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

I just went through this on my 2008 335i with the msport.. I replaced with OEM shocks/struts, reused the springs. and all new mounts and hardware.

I splurged and did the m3 control arms. This car is perfect now. Can be driven daily and handles everything I can throw at it.. I wouldn't worry about lowering it or doing anything crazy unless you really want a slammed car. save your money and do upgrades that really enhance the performance. I had an e46 that was on h&r race springs with bilstein dampers and while it felt like it was on rails, it was brutal on a daily basis.
Appreciate 1
Noir883.00
      05-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
Noir
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
I just went through this on my 2008 335i with the msport.. I replaced with OEM shocks/struts, reused the springs. and all new mounts and hardware.

I splurged and did the m3 control arms. This car is perfect now. Can be driven daily and handles everything I can throw at it.. I wouldn't worry about lowering it or doing anything crazy unless you really want a slammed car. save your money and do upgrades that really enhance the performance. I had an e46 that was on h&r race springs with bilstein dampers and while it felt like it was on rails, it was brutal on a daily basis.
Thanks for the input!
and yeah, definitely happy with the stock height!
      05-23-2018, 10:53 PM   #18
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Bilstein b12 kit with Hotchkiss adjustable swaybar endlinks. New surrounding hardware for the shocks & struts.

Couple that with at least m3 front control arms and new tie rods, and you will fall in love with your car all over again.

I ordered the M3 front control arms and the only thing visually different between what I have now and the M3 kit is:
- Front M3 upper control arm, bushing is not as wide as the original ie it's much shorter in width. The shape, side and length of the control arm is identical.
- Front M3 lower control arm, a bit thicker than OEM and slightly different in shape and size.

Based on the above observation, I am trying to understand why the upper control arm is better with a smaller (less wide) bushing than OEM. Maybe it's just worth getting the lower control arm and save $.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:12 AM   #19
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinsd View Post
I went with Ohlins, but haven't had time to install them yet.
I have! And they are outstanding (IMHO).
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 02:49 AM   #20
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

+1 For ohlins

But you should do a some homework before jumping into anything.
Personally I went with Koni FSD's and Eibach Pro lowering springs that drop the car just about an inch all around. Very modest in my opinion! I also have polyurethane bushings in the stock control arms, they make a difference forsure in turn in response. Planning to go for poly in the rear too when I find the time.
Over all I'm very happy with the Koni's - super comfortable and very sporty when you want it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #21
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by =C= View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post

I ordered the M3 front control arms and the only thing visually different between what I have now and the M3 kit is:
- Front M3 upper control arm, bushing is not as wide as the original ie it's much shorter in width. The shape, side and length of the control arm is identical.
- Front M3 lower control arm, a bit thicker than OEM and slightly different in shape and size.

Based on the above observation, I am trying to understand why the upper control arm is better with a smaller (less wide) bushing than OEM. Maybe it's just worth getting the lower control arm and save $.
I would have bought the TRW kit from FCP Euro. I think it's around $325 or so. The bushings are different in the control arms. The lower, rear control arm is longer; thus it creates the .75 negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:35 AM   #22
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris@strutmonkey View Post
Koni Yellow / Dinan Sport kit .... mmmmm:

Attachment 1829521
you included the spacer kit with this purchase. does it go on top of the rear spring?
Appreciate 0