E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320d E90 dashboard pop - failed spot welds - LONG

09-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #1
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Car

Unhappy 320d E90 dashboard pop - failed spot welds - LONG

Hello All.

I purchased an 07 320d M Sport in April this year as an AUC from a BMW dealer. During test drives I heard a strange pop coming from the nearside A pillar area and I asked for this to be rectified before I took the car. Salesman said it would be.

Anyway, collected the car and realised the noise was still present so contacted the dealer who offered to fix it. They had the car for a week and returned it to me fixed. Or so they said.

Unfortunately the noise was as bad as ever and so they dealer (not being local to me) kindly agreed for my local dealer to have a look. They duly did and said they had fixed the noise too, by removing and re-fitting the dash.

Once again the car was returned to me with the same noise.

At this point I should point out that the pop is very loud at times and I can hear it over the stereo. It sounds painful almost - not like a trim piece flexing to me at all. It also happens a lot. 30 times in half an hour on one journey.

I suspected strut brace or suspension or even the windscreen but the dealers insisted it was the dash.

So, the dealer I purchased the car from again agreed to take the car in. They had it for three weeks. Stripped the dashboard out and even replaced the windscreen. This time they were convinced they had fixed it only to phone me to say the noise was still present.

The dealer then told me they would not be able to do any further work and suspected the noise could be caused by a spot weld and may be related to the bodywork. They also said that BMW UK would not authorise any further work.

They said they wanted me to have the car back and test drive for a little and then get back in touch with them. They also said their sales manager would be in touch to see if a replacement vehicle is an option. Problem is I want a 320d with split, folding rear seats (as I have now) and they are somewhat rare.

I am currently waiting on delivery of my car and will see how it is.

I must say, the dealer concerned has been extremely good in keeping me informed and they have gone to considerable length to fix the issue. Unfortunately they have not fixed it which is a real disappointment. Not as disappointing though as BMW UK's attitute toward authorising further work on what is a suspect failed weld.

I was wondering if anyone here has had similar issues and whether they have been resolved and what was done to resolve them please?

Many thanks for your time!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:25 AM   #2
jonsteele
Old enough to know better!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Replied to your PM!
Le Mans Blue/18" Alloys/Bi Xenons/Climate Screen/Black, Heated Dakota Leather/6 CD Changer with Dension 500/Power Mirrors/M3 Lip Spoiler/Gloss Black Grills/Through Load, Storage pack, Lumbar Support, Smokers Deletion
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

A clear case to reject the car and get a full refund - the problem was there when you bought the car, they haven't/can't fix it, end of.

You are not obliged to accept a replacement car from them and have the whole BMW Used network at you disposal - most will be happy to deliver for free.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:38 AM   #4
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Update

Just got car back. Windscreen not fitted properly - the drip trims either side are sticking right out and will not sit flush to the car.

Also, both A pillar trims have damage to them including tears to the fabric.

Windscreen mirror trim not fitted correctly and fell off. There was also a cable not connected which just dangled down from it.

They also tore up my Halfords plain black tax disc holder! Outrage. That was £0.99p for goodness sake!

Dealer very apologetic and offered to fix these issues. Saga continues...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Reject it. You've more patience than me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
Dele Z.
Bad Badtz-Maru
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Reject it.

^^ This, i wouldnt even be entertaining anything else
      09-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #7
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Get to a solicitor.
Get proper, real legal advice and get them to start writing letters to the company who sold the car.

Highly likely it had accident damage.
If you have failing moncoque then I wouldnt want to be in that during a collision.
      09-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I had a full check done on the vehicle and it checks out OK so it's not been a write off. It drives lovely and is low mileage. It'd be perfect if it weren't for this stupid noise.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
Like others have said, you have more patience then most. If it were me, I think I would have slapped someone at the dealership by now and left the car with them!

What a piss take, first they say they wont look at it anymore then they cant even get a bloody windscreen right!!

N0bs
      09-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep

The reason BMW are saying they won't entertain further repair is because it isn'y their problem. The car is outside the 3 year from new warranty and because the problem existed before you took delivery and hasn't been fixed by the dealer, isn't covered by the AUC warranty.

So - your arguement is with the supplying dealer - I wouldn't be going to the expense of solicitors at this stage - simply reject the car and get your cash back - if they refuse, that is the point to get a solicitor and the local trading standards involved.

As has been said, you don't want to be driving about in a car with failing welds!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #11
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

I mailed BMW UK who said there had been some confusion and what the dealer meant was that they had exhausted resources to them and were now consulting with a regional tech. The regional tech said the next step was to start cutting out panels to find the cause of the noise and they were not prepared to do this.

So, the dealer's Sales department are now looking into a buy-back or exchange for another car although I have not heard from them as yet.

It rumbles on...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Mate I have been there.

I have exactly the same problem with my e90. I bought it as an ex-demonstrator 3 years ago when it was 6 months old and only had 3000 miles on the clock. Within a day of getting the car I noticed the problem. To cut a very long story short it went back to the dealer 13 times including having the spot welds redone. In the end I just ran out of energy and decided to crank up my stereo. They were creating too many other problems continually taking my dash out. I had to have both A pillar trims and the central vent renewed after they were trashed. However the problem is still there.

I found that BMW UK really didnt give a toss and just left me to fight it out with the dealer. The dealer said that a certain amount of dash noise was acceptable and I had no case.

You need to get shot of the car as they will NOT be able to fix it! Call me to discuss if you want. Just drop me a PM and i will send you my number.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
>>Windscreen not fitted properly - the drip trims either side are sticking right out and will not sit flush to the car.

Yep had that as well!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:48 AM   #14
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Got a call from the dealer's Sales department yesterday to check my requirements for a replacement - no word on buy back.

I'm hoping they can find me something soon as the noise is as bad as ever - I can hear it over the stereo even when it's on loud (I like The Black Crowes) which concerns me.

The car drives so well it's a real shame there is a problem with it. I changed to regular tyres and the ride is sublime now. Really planted to the road and feels so comfortable even with M Sport suspension and terrible roads. I'd much prefer another 320d than have them buy it back and have to change to something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
It will be interesting to see if they do the right thing and give you the full cost of your car against a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #16
sukder
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Indeed. Prices have dropped significantly since I purchased it (for similar spec and age cars) so I'm not sure what they will do. I did say that I could not afford to pay any more for a replacement so hopefully they will take that on board. I only bought it in April.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:28 AM   #17
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukder View Post
Got a call from the dealer's Sales department yesterday to check my requirements for a replacement - no word on buy back.

I'm hoping they can find me something soon as the noise is as bad as ever - I can hear it over the stereo even when it's on loud (I like The Black Crowes) which concerns me.

The car drives so well it's a real shame there is a problem with it. I changed to regular tyres and the ride is sublime now. Really planted to the road and feels so comfortable even with M Sport suspension and terrible roads. I'd much prefer another 320d than have them buy it back and have to change to something else.
I don't think you understand - you don't want a 'buy back' (which simply implies a 'good deal' and them making further profit on your misery) you need to 'reject' the car (i.e. they give you exactly the same back that you paid for it) - simple as - 'REJECT' is the word you should be using with them. If the car is on finance, you also need to get the finance company involved they will probably even assist you. The problem existed when you took delivery, they have been unable to put it right - rejecting the car is the only option open to you. There are pleny of other 320ds out there in the dealer network with dealers gagging to deliver them to you free of charge. The BMW 'Big Brother' computer now shows the problems with your car - its 'cards are marked' when they take a look at it's history come trade in time this could well come back to bite you.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #18
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
I don't think you understand - you don't want a 'buy back' (which simply implies a 'good deal' and them making further profit on your misery) you need to 'reject' the car (i.e. they give you exactly the same back that you paid for it) - simple as - 'REJECT' is the word you should be using with them. If the car is on finance, you also need to get the finance company involved they will probably even assist you. The problem existed when you took delivery, they have been unable to put it right - rejecting the car is the only option open to you. There are pleny of other 320ds out there in the dealer network with dealers gagging to deliver them to you free of charge. The BMW 'Big Brother' computer now shows the problems with your car - its 'cards are marked' when they take a look at it's history come trade in time this could well come back to bite you.
I agree with you but when I spoke to Trading Standards about my car they said that it would be very difficult to "Reject " a car because of an annoying noise.

It didn't help that the dealer was being extremely "helpful" so months and years went over without a resolution. At one point I did march into the Dealer Principal's office in a rage but he was so pleasant and "helpful" that I kept giving them another chance. This was a BIG mistake on my part.

BMW UK should have accepted that this is a known fault and given me some support.

I now realise that I should have insisted that they give me a full refund at the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #19
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
I agree with you but when I spoke to Trading Standards about my car they said that it would be very difficult to "Reject " a car because of an annoying noise.

It didn't help that the dealer was being extremely "helpful" so months and years went over without a resolution. At one point I did march into the Dealer Principal's office in a rage but he was so pleasant and "helpful" that I kept giving them another chance. This was a BIG mistake on my part.

BMW UK should have accepted that this is a known fault and given me some support.

I now realise that I should have insisted that they give me a full refund at the beginning.
I thought you bought the car this April, so why do you say 'years'? I think as we are talking under 6 months and there has been a constant contact with the dealer since day 1 time isn't an issue. I rejected a Corsa once after 12 months of complaining (before rejecting a car was so widely understood thanks to the internet and forums like this).

There are 'noises' and 'noises' but I thought we were talking about 'failed welds' here being the cause of the noise! Any noise that can be heard over a loud stereo is extreme (but I accept subjective), however, this is more than a noise, it's a structural failure - did you tell trading standards that?

Last edited by Falmouthboy; 09-20-2011 at 05:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #20
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
I think as we are talking under 6 months and there has been a constant contact with the dealer since day 1 time isn't an issue. I rejected a Corsa once after 12 months of complaining (before rejecting a car was so widely understood thanks to the internet and forums like this).

There are 'noises' and 'noises' notwithstanding that I thought we were talking about 'failed welds' here! Any noise that can be heard over a loud stereo is extreme (but I accept subjective), however, this is more than a noise, it's a structural failure - did you tell trading standards that?
The problem with my car is that they have allegedly fixed the welds and the problem has not gone away. (Except of course when I take anybody from BMW for a test drive) By all means I think that the OP should attempt to reject the car . I was badly advised/too patient and should have done the same.

Sorry just re-read your response. I have had my car for 3 years and the OP has had his for 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukder View Post
Indeed. Prices have dropped significantly since I purchased it (for similar spec and age cars) so I'm not sure what they will do. I did say that I could not afford to pay any more for a replacement so hopefully they will take that on board. I only bought it in April.

Going to be blunt, stop fucking around and demand they refund you the car, they think you're a soft touch and are taking the piss, the car has been faulty from day one and you have given them 6 months to repair it, which they still have not done. Say you want a full refund but are happy to spend that amount with them again.
What group are they?
Search the group stock and find a car you would be happy with that cost the same as you paid for your car, tell them if they get you that car within 7 days you will not demand your money back.
Leave it with them for 24 hours.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #22
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
Going to be blunt, stop fucking around and demand they refund you the car, they think you're a soft touch and are taking the piss, the car has been faulty from day one and you have given them 6 months to repair it, which they still have not done. Say you want a full refund but are happy to spend that amount with them again.
What group are they?
Search the group stock and find a car you would be happy with that cost the same as you paid for your car, tell them if they get you that car within 7 days you will not demand your money back.
Leave it with them for 24 hours.
Wise words as usual ;-)
Appreciate 0