E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 328i lease.. bs dealer fee's?

03-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
0utlier
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 XDrive35i

If you guys are really getting your cars for an honest to god, out the door price, of invoice plus $500 total dealer profit, you are to be commended. That's gotta be one competitive market you live in.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:28 PM   #24
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

On a buy $500 over invoice isnt bad but on a lease... I leased my 07 328i for a tad over $600 under invoice. Yes under invoice. But I am sure I got screwed on my trade in and they made that profit up. But I will never pay $500 above invoice again. Especially for a BMW it better be $1k below invoice.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #25
0utlier
Private
Rep

You find a dealer that will sell you new BMW for $1K under invoice, all else being nominal, please let us know. That dealer will be inundated with sales.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
beefybmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
On a buy $500 over invoice isnt bad but on a lease... I leased my 07 328i for a tad over $600 under invoice. Yes under invoice. But I am sure I got screwed on my trade in and they made that profit up. But I will never pay $500 above invoice again. Especially for a BMW it better be $1k below invoice.
It's a numbers game. It sounds like you negotiated more on the sale price of the car rather than the lease money factor and trade. They were probably happy to show you $600 under invoice to pacify you.

The salesman is probably still on vacation. Just kidding.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #27
AndrewAZ
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefybmer View Post
It's a numbers game. It sounds like you negotiated more on the sale price of the car rather than the lease money factor and trade. They were probably happy to show you $600 under invoice to pacify you.

The salesman is probably still on vacation. Just kidding.
I know where I got screwed. We all live and learn. But I got burned on my trade in. But at the time I wanted to get rid of it and get something new, we all fall victim to this to some extent.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #28
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Why do you feel like you should get the car for under invoice? If BMW's were selling for UNDER invoice nobody would want them bc they'd be distressed merchandise like Chevy's and all you supremacists would say how much BMW sucks. You're paying for quality and the name. Plus, dont forget that the sales people deserve a living too, you dont work for free do you?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #29
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Here's what I do: If I'm willing to pay $800 over invoice, that's what I negotiate. I'll pay extra for taxes, tags, and registration. That's all. The dealer can call that $800 whatever he wants: MACO, documentation, bubble gum, whatever. But, the bottom line will be $800 + tax + tags/registration.
      03-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #30
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassaxi View Post
Here's what I do: If I'm willing to pay $800 over invoice, that's what I negotiate. I'll pay extra for taxes, tags, and registration. That's all. The dealer can call that $800 whatever he wants: MACO, documentation, bubble gum, whatever. But, the bottom line will be $800 + tax + tags/registration.
I do the same thing with my leases. I figure what I'm willing to pay monthly and how many miles I need and how long I want to lease. I could care less about Money Factor, Selling price, etc. they either meet my monthly payment or I go elsewhere. Works for me everytime. When they try to change miles or terms to make it work, I tell them no. I want x y and z for $550, including tax. either you can or you can't...

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #31
will@longbeachbmw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwed335i View Post
Yes, either trade equity or money down.

The national ad and doc fee are BS.

WTF is MACO?

This guy obvoiusly knows what he is talking about.

"National ad is BS - What's MACO?"

You need to do some research my friend
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 01:28 AM   #32
jwed335i
Private
Rep

thumsup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by will@longbeachbmw View Post

Let me guess.... BS California fees. We don't have them here. Oh I see, if you participate in the national advertising group the dealer charges these fees. I have never had to pay it. HMMMM. You probably have doc and training fees too. I guess another reason not to buy from you or your dealership.

That's nice of your dealership to pass that on to your customers. Don't you think the dealership should eat that cost? I mean the whole reason for national advertising is to increase business, right. Apparently it does not work or you just suck at your job.

Last edited by jwed335i; 03-31-2008 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #33
0utlier
Private
Rep

Quote:
Just so there isn't questionable information out there. MACO is not some type of fancy name for dealer profit. It is paid to BMW NA by the dealer. The amount of this fee is based on the region your dealer is located in and varies between regions. Some regions don't have to pay MACO to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:21 AM   #34
jwed335i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utlier View Post
Just so there isn't questionable information out there. MACO is not some type of fancy name for dealer profit. It is paid to BMW NA by the dealer. The amount of this fee is based on the region your dealer is located in and varies between regions. Some regions don't have to pay MACO to BMW NA.
Is it included in MSRP by BMW NA? If not then the dealer is passing it on directly to their customer at their own discretion just like any other additional fee.

Last edited by jwed335i; 03-31-2008 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:46 AM   #35
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by will@longbeachbmw View Post

THANK YOU. ignorance is bliss
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 08:58 AM   #36
jwed335i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCouture View Post
THANK YOU. ignorance is bliss
Apparently!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #37
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 535i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Holy Bat Guano Batman!! Someone on this thread knows what they are talking about. You deserve to be commended sir!

If MACO (or national BS ad fee as some of you call it) appears on a dealers invoice you are going to pay it. PERIOD. Your $500 deal over invoice included it. It will not be disclosed separately b/c it is on the invoice.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #38
beefybmer
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpast3 View Post
Holy Bat Guano Batman!! Someone on this thread knows what they are talking about. You deserve to be commended sir!

If MACO (or national BS ad fee as some of you call it) appears on a dealers invoice you are going to pay it. PERIOD. Your $500 deal over invoice included it. It will not be disclosed separately b/c it is on the invoice.
I have never seen this fee either so I am curious. Can someone show me a copy of an actual sticker with this fee from BMWNA on it and not on a dealer addendum. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #39
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
The fact that the money goes to BMW NA rather than the dealer does not make it legitimate. As far as I'm concerned, MACO is part of the dealer's cost of doing business, just like rent and payroll. I know I'm the only person in the world who sees it that way, which is fine.

If you are buying from a dealer who gets charged MACO, I suggest you consider that fee part of the invoice price, and adjust the amount over invoice that you are willing to pay.
      04-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #40
jwed335i
Private
Rep

Quote:
The fact that the money goes to BMW NA rather than the dealer does not make it legitimate. As far as I'm concerned, MACO is part of the dealer's cost of doing business, just like rent and payroll. I know I'm the only person in the world who sees it that way, which is fine.

If you are buying from a dealer who gets charged MACO, I suggest you consider that fee part of the invoice price, and adjust the amount over invoice that you are willing to pay.
Actually I agree with you on the first part. Training and MACO are overhead as far as a business is concerned otherwise it would be on the Maroni sticker charged from BMWNA to the retail customer just like the $750 destination charge. To pass on $300-400 to the customer for a national ad that they probably have never seen is just plain crazy. I would rather pay a $200 fee for unlimited coffee and bagels while I wait for my car in service.

Just because BMWNA charges the dealer directly on each cars invoice (if that is the case) does not make the charge to the customer legitimate!

I would think that the purpose of the national ad is to increase business, right? If so you are charging your customers for your increase in business and profit that you have made from that increase.

Well, luckily I have never done business with a dealer that charges these fees and never will, Will.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 03:58 PM   #41
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefybmer View Post
I have never seen this fee either so I am curious. Can someone show me a copy of an actual sticker with this fee from BMWNA on it and not on a dealer addendum. Thanks.
I have a copy of mine at home. I'll post it later for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:14 PM   #42
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Actually I agree with you on the first part. Training and MACO are overhead as far as a business is concerned otherwise it would be on the Maroni sticker charged from BMWNA to the retail customer just like the $750 destination charge. To pass on $300-400 to the customer for a national ad that they probably have never seen is just plain crazy. I would rather pay a $200 fee for unlimited coffee and bagels while I wait for my car in service.

Just because BMWNA charges the dealer directly on each cars invoice (if that is the case) does not make the charge to the customer legitimate!

I would think that the purpose of the national ad is to increase business, right? If so you are charging your customers for your increase in business and profit that you have made from that increase.

Well, luckily I have never done business with a dealer that charges these fees and never will, Will.
Totally disagree with you. If a dealer was trying to charge you for THEIR own advertising that would absolutely fall into your category of "the cost of doing business". If the MANUFACTURER of a product charges X for a product, it is absolutely legitimate for the seller to charge the customer.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #43
jwed335i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfpast3 View Post
Totally disagree with you. If a dealer was trying to charge you for THEIR own advertising that would absolutely fall into your category of "the cost of doing business". If the MANUFACTURER of a product charges X for a product, it is absolutely legitimate for the seller to charge the customer.
Is it not the same thing?

-The dealer pays the local TV or radio stations for advertising to bring in more customers and make more profit.
OR
-The dealer pays BMWNA for group ads to bring in more customers and make more profit.
OR
-The dealer pays 3 guys to detail the cars every 3 days to bring in more customers and make more profit.

It's the cost of doing business to make more money.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #44
halfpast3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Is it not the same thing?

-The dealer pays the local TV or radio stations for advertising to bring in more customers and make more profit.
OR
-The dealer pays BMWNA for group ads to bring in more customers and make more profit.
OR
-The dealer pays 3 guys to detail the cars every 3 days to bring in more customers and make more profit.

It's the cost of doing business to make more money.
To answer your question....No it is not the same thing.
Appreciate 0