E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tyres - ???

07-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #45
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Vreds are on now.

Ride quality is significantly better over potholes / drain covers etc. Feels very soft over speedbumps.

So far the tyres seem grippy enough, even though they are new and it's wet.

Tread pattern is VERY odd.

Slightest hint of body roll, which is a worry.

Need to give em a chance to bed. I think I've become very used to the RFT's and a rock solid ride.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 03:27 PM   #46
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Mate good luck with them.
      07-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #47
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
I had contis on the E46 M3 and I found them really bad in the damp rear end all over the place. PS1 and PS2 are identical other than the PS2s where made special for the Merc SL to reduce road noise.

A friend of mine (Marcus) who runs Wembley Tyres told me to try the Dunlop Sport Maxx and I've never looked back, they are awesome and predictable and last for alot longer than the contis or the PS2s. Just swapped to them on the E61 and its like a new motor.

Avoid RFTs but get the space saver, its £200 quid but well worth it for emergencies.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #48
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Mst eive run sportmaxx, they were ok... nowt on the Conti 3's
      07-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #49
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Vreds are on now.

Ride quality is significantly better over potholes / drain covers etc. Feels very soft over speedbumps.

So far the tyres seem grippy enough, even though they are new and it's wet.

Tread pattern is VERY odd.

Slightest hint of body roll, which is a worry.

Need to give em a chance to bed. I think I've become very used to the RFT's and a rock solid ride.
Have you increased the pressures? when I put on non RFTs at first they felt like jelly.

OEM pressures were 2.2/2.4 bar, i went up to 2.6 / 2.8 and gained the RFT laterall stability back, but with the extra compliance over bumps / holes that you can never get with RFT due to the granite sidewalls
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #50
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Have you increased the pressures? when I put on non RFTs at first they felt like jelly.

OEM pressures were 2.2/2.4 bar, i went up to 2.6 / 2.8 and gained the RFT laterall stability back, but with the extra compliance over bumps / holes that you can never get with RFT due to the granite sidewalls
Haven't had a chance to look at the pressures. I have a feeling that they may be low.

Edit: Checked the tyres this evening and they were 2.4 bar all round!

I've put them up to 3.0 bar for the rears and 2.7 bar for the fronts.

Seems better.

Last edited by NFS; 07-07-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #51
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McRae View Post
I had contis on the E46 M3 and I found them really bad in the damp rear end all over the place. PS1 and PS2 are identical other than the PS2s where made special for the Merc SL to reduce road noise.

A friend of mine (Marcus) who runs Wembley Tyres told me to try the Dunlop Sport Maxx and I've never looked back, they are awesome and predictable and last for alot longer than the contis or the PS2s. Just swapped to them on the E61 and its like a new motor.

Avoid RFTs but get the space saver, its £200 quid but well worth it for emergencies.
Conti 2's or 3's on your e46?
      07-08-2009, 07:18 AM   #52
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

NFS, how are you getting on with the tyres after a few days?
I am looking at changing to non RFT's and have the same concerns you had, hence I am interested to get some more feedback from you.

Thanks.
      07-08-2009, 08:06 AM   #53
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

A full set of runflats for £688 fitted?

Are you running on 10" inch wheels man??

I couldnt find them for less than £225 each!!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #54
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GPP View Post
NFS, how are you getting on with the tyres after a few days?
I am looking at changing to non RFT's and have the same concerns you had, hence I am interested to get some more feedback from you.

Thanks.
Better now that I have the pressures right

Definite improvement in ride quality over bumps and potholes. I wouldn't say that the handling was better, but it's not worse either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
A full set of runflats for £688 fitted?

Are you running on 10" inch wheels man??

I couldnt find them for less than £225 each!!

Matt
Try here:

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-search.asp

Set of 4 staggered Bridgestone RE050 on 18 inch rims = £ 688.20

Use the 'buy and pay online' option.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #55
Skid
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: It's a Mini Adventure

Garage List
Hi NFS,

What load rating are your Vreds? I've been looking today and the fronts i've found are 92Y XL and rears 94Y XL.
Just asking as I'm look to change to these also.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #56
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Hi NFS,

What load rating are your Vreds? I've been looking today and the fronts i've found are 92Y XL and rears 94Y XL.
Just asking as I'm look to change to these also.
Thanks
They are the ones I bought. £409 delivered from camskill.

Had a good chance to chuck the car around today and scrubb the tyres in. It has changed the handling of the car.

The vreds are VERY grippy when warmed up. What I'm finding is that the limit is slightly higher than with the RFTs but also that it's less progressive. With the bridgestones pressing hard resulted in a very gradual and gentle 4 wheel drift, with a bias to oversteer if you boot the throttle.

With the vreds there is a hint of bodyroll as the tyres start to load up (it was dead flat with the Bridgestones) and occasionally a hint of understeer (easily killed with the throttle).

I'm still in 2 minds. I can see why people would prefer standard tyres as the ride is LOTS better. The handling is different, but I'm not sure yet if it's actually better.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #57
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
They are the ones I bought. £409 delivered from camskill.

Had a good chance to chuck the car around today and scrubb the tyres in. It has changed the handling of the car.

The vreds are VERY grippy when warmed up. What I'm finding is that the limit is slightly higher than with the RFTs but also that it's less progressive. With the bridgestones pressing hard resulted in a very gradual and gentle 4 wheel drift, with a bias to oversteer if you boot the throttle.

With the vreds there is a hint of bodyroll as the tyres start to load up (it was dead flat with the Bridgestones) and occasionally a hint of understeer (easily killed with the throttle).

I'm still in 2 minds. I can see why people would prefer standard tyres as the ride is LOTS better. The handling is different, but I'm not sure yet if it's actually better.
I am following your comments with real interest NFS

I guess the only way to find out is to try yourself re handling and ride, but I guess you can always go back once they wear down - in 10k miles for you vreds? The bodyroll comment does put me off.

In terms of price, it seems RFT's are like 75% more, yet you do get twice the milleage out of them....So perhaps better value?

Last edited by TMP; 07-10-2009 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #58
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
In terms of price, it seems RFT's are like 75% more, yet you do get twice the milleage out of them....So perhaps better value?
If you can tolerate the harsh ride RFT's provide.

I find the difference between non RFT and RFT as night and day, and would rather forego tyre life in favour of a more compliant ride.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #59
vallance5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i SE Black Sapphire

Garage List
I just put 4 brand new P zero neros instead of the bridgestone RFTs on and the ride is alot better with a major reduction in road noise, handling hasnt changed may a bit better when they are fully warmed up. Only problem is that a mate of mine that works at the dealership said that if you want to return the car to BMW they will charge you a full set of tyres seein as there not RFT or take it off the price they give you for your car.
      07-11-2009, 01:35 AM   #60
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Yeah, that's the generally accepted way things are with RFT's and trade-in time.

Imagine you are buying a used BMW and it doesn't come with RFT's - you wouldn't be too happy - insofar as you have no spare tyre etc etc etc
      07-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #61
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Some on here part exed there car and dealer didnt even notice it didnt have run flats.
      07-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #62
vallance5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i SE Black Sapphire

Garage List
I know the guy that changed my tyres and so spoke to him today and hes just goin to keep the the old tyres and ill stick them back on when i change the car.
      07-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #63
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
I am following your comments with real interest NFS

I guess the only way to find out is to try yourself re handling and ride, but I guess you can always go back once they wear down - in 10k miles for you vreds? The bodyroll comment does put me off.

I was hoping to get better mileage out of the non-rfts to be honest. The front tyres on my last e46 were only half worn after 40,000 miles.

There is no doubt that the ride is significantly smoother with standard tyres, But I was tempted into trying them because of posts saying that the handling was also much better.

I'm not convinced yet. The increased suspension compliance is not necessarily a good thing in terms of handling.

If you are bothered by the ride quality then you should definitely change to standard tyres. Changing to improve handling is not necessarily a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #64
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
you wouldn't be too happy - insofar as you have no spare tyre etc etc etc
What like an M car?

Like Honda?

Like Toyota?

Probably like loads of other cars i don't know about too.

Soon you won't get a spare on any car. Just a can of goo (if sensible Honda & Toyota do it, then it must be acceptable to the masses!)

I sold my 330i with non RFTs on, not a problem. But I agree that if you change them part worn, then keeping them in the shed till you sell is probably a good idea!

And it should save you a tenner as tyre fitting shops charge an 'environmental' fee to get rid of your old tyres, they won't need that if you're keeping them!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #65
grey man
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E 91 335d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post

Like Honda?

Probably like loads of other cars i don't know about too.

Soon you won't get a spare on any car. Just a can of goo (if sensible Honda & Toyota do it, then it must be acceptable to the masses!)
I had a Honda, and a spare tire was an option (that I took) - and it seems a very popular option. Was about £100 all in with mounting kit and a bag for the old tire (which won't fit in the well) and there is a spare wheel well that takes the (smaller sized spare) provided (Civic) along with jack etc.

If you use the 'goo' stuff, the many tire places will not repair the tire because the goo is so difficult to clean out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #66
2GPP
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M Sport

Quote:
I was hoping to get better mileage out of the non-rfts to be honest. The front tyres on my last e46 were only half worn after 40,000 miles.

There is no doubt that the ride is significantly smoother with standard tyres, But I was tempted into trying them because of posts saying that the handling was also much better.

I'm not convinced yet. The increased suspension compliance is not necessarily a good thing in terms of handling.

If you are bothered by the ride quality then you should definitely change to standard tyres. Changing to improve handling is not necessarily a good idea.
NFS,

How you getting on with the non RFT's now? Still issues/concerns over the handling issues?