E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Code 4D87 after series of codes

07-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #1
ddroze
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Code 4D87 after series of codes

First, 2009 335d with 179k miles.

Need to smog my car (Cali) and I have been clearing codes while fixing problems. Started by fixing my SCR level sensor with a Xemodex kit. Then my mass air flow sensor replaced. Both motor mounts and I’m sure the vacuum hose is connected still. Finally I used ISTA+ to reset my DPF mileage counter since BMW would have murdered me in price. What a dumb code. Make that a service light. My DPF is perfect according to BMW testing it as well. I swapped it with a low mileage care a year ago.

But here’s what happened. I had the throttle actuator code for awhile too so I changed that last. That code never came back. A day later I had the 4390 charge air sensor. I took that out and cleaned it, put back in, cleared the code and drove 80 miles to try and trigger my monitors to smog. Light came on again but now it’s 4D87 which is the EGR temp sensor.

Some of these are very closely related so I’m wondering if it may be something else or just needs to recalibrate? I checked the sensor cold and it was at 17,000ohms couldn’t find a sheet on what it should be. I went to BMW and tested a new one cold, same reading so mine should be fine unless it’s having issues at temperatures.

I thought maybe my Thermostate could be causing cooling issues? Used my c110+ and as soon as I hit 93C it works and brings me back below. 88-93C works no problem. I found some vacuum lines that looked pretty bad so I changed those and haven’t had much time to drive it since. My EGR spring seems fine and in place too. I don’t see any cracks or leaks either. I’m sort of lost from this point. The BMW service advisor told me to bring it in, no more parts, and let them do a “recalibration” so everything gets back to zero and see what happens. Can I do that with my ISTA+? Not sure how.

Any ideas on what could be going on? Wondering why this is creating a trail all along the EGR of codes. The throttle actuator being linked and changed then the charge air sensor, then the EGR temp sensor? Just seems odd.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #2
ddroze
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Just a bump. It's been a while and nothing. Still have the same code. I just replaced the battery the other day since it died on me. I was hoping maybe low voltage was causing this. Anyway, Any information?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #3
deeprecon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Join the Facebook group, Also join the Bimmer Protools group. Very active and can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddroze View Post
Just a bump. It's been a while and nothing. Still have the same code. I just replaced the battery the other day since it died on me. I was hoping maybe low voltage was causing this. Anyway, Any information?

Last edited by deeprecon1; 07-08-2021 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0