E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Taste of Lexus - Atlanta report

11-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #1
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Taste of Lexus - Atlanta report

Just got back from the day. All in all a fun time and well organized. Comments on the vehicles I drove follow.

ES350

If ever a car needed 50 less horsepower this is it. The whole vehicle is noticeable camry derived inside despite its smart LS460 exterior looks. However inside the plastics are much less soft feel especially the fascia. The engine is willing and enthusiastic but 272bhp is way too much for such a softly setup, anemic steering luxury sedan. You kind of sail it rather than drive it throught the turns and the enthusiastic motor does not suit this car at all. Not for me, but I could see how it could make sense if you had a hell commute and wanted to be cossetted and never used more than half throttle. Just make sure you specify the Mark Levinson stereo upgrade.

IS350

I was looking forward to driving this car since it was a potential option for me against the 325. The leather quality appears much better than the bimmer (perhaps Lexus have better haptics people) and after I adjusted the seat to suit (I really don't understabd the hoi polloi's predilection for the seat right up close with the back reclined way back!) quite comfy. I put the shifter into sport to attack the tight little circuit. The car certainly packs a punch but the engine note is unremarkable. The handling is impressive and the steering okay but more vague than a BMW (but still okay). I push a little harder but the car transitions into plough understeer quite quickly over 8/10ths. Up to that point though a credible and acceptable alternative to a 328. It boasts a lot more power. Still don't regret choosing the 325 and (as I remind myself later driving home) the BMW has a completely different and superior (for me) feel.

GS350

Unremarkable luxury sedan. Fine but after the smaller cars feels dull if an accomplished cruiser.

LS460

Interesting that Lexus brought a S550 and 750 for comparison. It is funny how the world moves on. When the 7 series came out it was avant garde to the point of revulsion for many. Now the new LS460 shows sues taken from the BMW (and others) yeat looks handsome if not drop dead gorgeous. The S550 at least looks interesting and the BMW just looks, well, old. I have little interest in luxo barges but drove the LS nonetheless. The interior is cosseting and luxurious. The most striking note is the quietness and the smooth engine. The 8 speed auto at least on the course could easily be mistaken for a 6 speed and I am surprised to see the same plasticky tacky looking center fascia area that you can find in an IS. Great car for an airport transfer but if I had 80K to spend on a car, it wouldn't be going here.

RX400H / RX350

The single most impressive vehicle of the day. There is something almost deliriously delightful about moving off in total silence under electric power. The transition to propulsion avec petroleum is not exactly seemless but very well done nonetheless. The electric motors provide a punchy spritely feel to what is really a soccer mom SUV. The hybrid is made to feel all the more impressive after switching into the RX350. This petrol engined vehicle is noticeably slower and you could almost step out for a pizza after flooring the throttle out of tighter turn while you wait for the (is it still only 4 speeds?) slushbox to work out what gear to be in and summon the horses. The hybrid hides all this masterfully as the electric engines provide instant torque while the petrol engine catches up. Impressive and I want one even if a 10K premium is quite clearly laughable for the ability to observe smugly to others "it's a hybrid you know"

Last edited by whippersnapper; 11-05-2006 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #2
whippersnapper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: people mad

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
anyone else go?