E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Help w/products for white car

06-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
ThEnder
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI N54 6MT

Help w/products for white car

I'm getting ready to do the first detail on my alpine white E90. I bought it used a couple weeks ago and while there are no major blemishes, the paint definitely suffers from some scratches, swirls and spots.

I lost all my detailing supplies in a move, so I need to re-purchase everything. Here is what I am thinking:
-porter cable buffer
-DI medium clay for prep
-poorboy's world SSR 2.5 on orange pad for intensive polish
-poorboy's world SSR 1 on white pad for followup polish
-poorboy's world white diamond glaze on black pad for depth
-poorboy's world EX sealant w/carnuba on gold pad for sealant

I've never used poorboy's world products before so I am a little nervous about going all in on them. However, I have heard they product good results and I like that they can be applied in sunlight as I do not always have access to a shaded area in which to work.

Any advice/alternative product suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
I'm getting ready to do the first detail on my alpine white E90. I bought it used a couple weeks ago and while there are no major blemishes, the paint definitely suffers from some scratches, swirls and spots.

I lost all my detailing supplies in a move, so I need to re-purchase everything. Here is what I am thinking:
-porter cable buffer
-DI medium clay for prep
-poorboy's world SSR 2.5 on orange pad for intensive polish
-poorboy's world SSR 1 on white pad for followup polish
-poorboy's world white diamond glaze on black pad for depth
-poorboy's world EX sealant w/carnuba on gold pad for sealant

I've never used poorboy's world products before so I am a little nervous about going all in on them. However, I have heard they product good results and I like that they can be applied in sunlight as I do not always have access to a shaded area in which to work.

Any advice/alternative product suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!
I would recommend the Griot's Garage DA over the PC. Lifetime warranty and the extra power the GG provides should be enough to convince anyone (plus- Autogeek is having a close out sale on them right now).
http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-car-care.html

Do get a 5" backing plate and use 5.5 pads for the DA regardless if it is the PC or GG. DA simply performs better with a smaller pad.

If you are not certain about Poorboy's products, why not try the sampler kit.
http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-swirl-remover-kit.html

Generally speaking, a glaze is not needed if the correction/polishing steps were done correctly. The key to getting the most from your products on a white car is the prep. It is getting the car as clean as possible prior to polishing so you might want to look into IronX for your paint.

Is there a reason you are choosing a medium grade clay over a fine grade??? Are you expecting your car to have more contaminants on the surface than most? As you move up on the aggressiveness scale, the more likely you will mar your paint with it.