E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Evo mag rips X6M

09-09-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Evo mag rips X6M

Evo gives the X6M a good test drive. They basically hate it.

Link:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...4/bmw_x6m.html

2.5 starts out of 5.

"X6M fails to impress like an M-car should on track, feeling unsettled under braking and struggling with understeer."

"...much the same could be said for the £20K cheaper xDrive50i, which isn't that much slower and sounds like a proper V8. If you want a quick X6, that remains our recommendation. The X6M may be fast, but it's an even worse idea than we feared."
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Evo gives the X6M a good test drive. They basically hate it.

Link:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...4/bmw_x6m.html

2.5 starts out of 5.

"X6M fails to impress like an M-car should on track, feeling unsettled under braking and struggling with understeer."

"...much the same could be said for the £20K cheaper xDrive50i, which isn't that much slower and sounds like a proper V8. If you want a quick X6, that remains our recommendation. The X6M may be fast, but it's an even worse idea than we feared."
I cringed when I read this, but to be fair I also cringed when BMW announced they were going to build it. Its the M for badge whores. I am sorry, but whoever buys a 'performance' SUV needs to have their heads checked. Weight and power should not mix.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
Weight and power should not mix.
Are dump trucks exempt from this statement?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Frankly I dont care how it compares to an M car I just wanna know how it compares to power SUV's like the Cayenne Turbo or Q7 V12 TDI etc.
      09-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

Never seen so many spelling errors in an article from an alleged professional journalist. When did Porsche made a "Cheyenne"? Considering that EVO are freaks among even enthousiasts 2.5 stars out of 5 is not bad.

Considering that the target demographic for the ///M SAVs probably are not going to track them then their critique although probably valid will have no impact.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeloche View Post
Considering that the target demographic for the ///M SAVs probably are not going to track them then their critique although probably valid will have no impact.
Not when BMW is using nurburgring times to sell the vehicle. Saying it goes around the ring faster than the E46 M3.

Why then is it even an "M" vehicle, when going around a track doesn't matter.

So basically the "M" badge is for show or badgewhores.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

and right they should! this is a badgewhore car and totally just to have something to compete with porsche/benz

i hate the x6m, i could tolerate the x5m, but i still hate this superfast SUV trend
      09-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #8
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Sounds like an Audi. Built for speed.

Speed and stats sell cars though. I'm sure image-conscious buyers would look for that more than driver enjoyment. It's been helping Audi haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
and right they should! this is a badgewhore car and totally just to have something to compete with porsche/benz

i hate the x6m, i could tolerate the x5m, but i still hate this superfast SUV trend
Why shouldn't a SUV be as good as it can be?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Why shouldn't a SUV be as good as it can be?
Please elaborate on what you mean by "as good as it can be". The Porsche Cayenne is a very accomplished off roader in addition to it's capabilities on the road, this piece of crap (it now seems) will not go offroad and will not best the Cayenne in anything.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
Please elaborate on what you mean by "as good as it can be". The Porsche Cayenne is a very accomplished off roader in addition to it's capabilities on the road, this piece of crap (it now seems) will not go offroad and will not best the Cayenne in anything.
As a Cayenne owner, I agree. Just because something isn't the best in class doesn't mean that it isn't the best that it can be. The X6M was never intended to go off road (or be useful at all as far as I can tell), and that's ok, that is for the market to determine. BMW is bringing their interpretation of the best X6 to market, for that I applaud them...I won't buy one but it is cool that they made it, it will make the next Cayenne even more superior.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #12
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I thought this is pretty much an unstated fact. Is anyone really surprised that a 5300lbs or 2.5 ton vehicle with high center of gravity will be a stellar track machine? This car is BMW stretching its M badge to the fullest extend. Who would buy this vehicle for the track? I have 80-90k to spend on a track vehicle, I can buy me a Porsche but nope, I think I will get a X6M.

BMW is bent on becoming the number 1 luxury car maker by offering a full product line of generic versatile cars that try too hard to be everything for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #13
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
.....I think I will get a X6M.
Article clearly states the cheaper xDrive50i X6 is just as good and nearly as fast.

I don't think they wanted it to handle like a 911 GT3. They atleast wanted it to handle better than the xDrive50i X6. It clearly did not meet or exceed their expectations.

Funny thing is they said the regular X6 sounds better than the M-version. That is just wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
BMW is bent on becoming the number 1 luxury car maker by offering a full product line of generic versatile cars that try too hard to be everything for everyone.
Your right BMW wants to make the M-division a generic brand, like AMG. Meanwhile Benz is creating track ready versions of their cars, with "black series" packages.

Hell has frozen over.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
anthony @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: R56 Cooper S

The M badge is pretty much ruined now. Shame.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony @ eas View Post
The M badge is pretty much ruined now. Shame.
You ladies are very dramatic.

Everyone said the Cayenne was the death of Porsche, then because of the money and R&D from that vehicle we got the Carrera GT, and the best 911s ever, GT3, GT3RS etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #16
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Quote:

Everyone said the Cayenne was the death of Porsche, then because of the money and R&D from that vehicle we got the Carrera GT, and the best 911s ever, GT3, GT3RS etc.
yeah, but they didn't call it the cayenne 911 turbo

I agreed though, the M badge is ruined. I think this is the last year that we'll see engines like the S85 and S65....grab em with you can!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #17
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
I agreed though, the M badge is ruined. I think this is the last year that we'll see engines like the S85 and S65....grab em with you can!
I do think it is sad that M is going to FI, I like a high revving N/A engine. We have government regulation to blame for "death" of M more then BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #18
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Call us dramatic. But some of us have been driving BMW's 20-30+ years. It is somewhat sad to see the direction BMW is going.

I know some of the young people on here don't understand. They want everything to have an M-badge. But to many it is a secred thing, or atleast it was.

There is one thing the Cayenne can do that the these M-suv's can't, that is go offroad. They are actually one of the more capable offroad vehicles for sale today.

Quote:
I do think it is sad that M is going to FI, I like a high revving N/A engine. We have government regulation to blame for "death" of M more then BMW.
One car that will remain NA, is the 911 GT3. One car I wish BMW would draw some inspiration from.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 03:29 AM   #19
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

He has a point. Remember what the "M" stood for? Nowadays, it is more for marketing.

How do you know Cayenne sales resulted in the CGT, GT3 and GT3RS? Boxster and 911 sales didn't figure in at all? How about Porsche's huge profits from its various money-market investments (eg. hedge funds) over the years? Its streamlining of production methods borrowed from ex-Toyota employees?
I'd be interested to know specifically what R&D on the Cayenne contributed to the excellence of the CGT, GT3, and GT3RS. And what government regulation called for the creation of the X5 & X6 M's.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Call us dramatic. But some of us have been driving BMW's 20-30+ years. It is somewhat sad to see the direction BMW is going.

I know some of the young people on here don't understand. They want everything to have an M-badge. But to many it is a secred thing, or atleast it was.

There is one thing the Cayenne can do that the these M-suv's can't, that is go offroad. They are actually one of the more capable offroad vehicles for sale today.

One car that will remain NA, is the 911 GT3. One car I wish BMW would draw some inspiration from.
Nice try, but you don't have me pegged. I am certainly not one of the "kids" on the board, nor am I new to BMW.

M is BMWs performance division, and I understand what they are doing from a business point of view. Trying to make money. Besides, does an M6 convertible really fit in with the original M DNA?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #21
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
He has a point. Remember what the "M" stood for? Nowadays, it is more for marketing.

How do you know Cayenne sales resulted in the CGT, GT3 and GT3RS? Boxster and 911 sales didn't figure in at all? How about Porsche's huge profits from its various money-market investments (eg. hedge funds) over the years? Its streamlining of production methods borrowed from ex-Toyota employees?
I'd be interested to know specifically what R&D on the Cayenne contributed to the excellence of the CGT, GT3, and GT3RS. And what government regulation called for the creation of the X5 & X6 M's.
I don't have time to do an assignment because you can't be bothered.

For starters, with out the Cayenne there would have been no facility to build the Carrera GT in.

The govt. regulation I was referring to is fuel economy/pollution and the switch from NA to FI because of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #22
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Nice try, but you don't have me pegged. I am certainly not one of the "kids" on the board, nor am I new to BMW.

M is BMWs performance division, and I understand what they are doing from a business point of view. Trying to make money. Besides, does an M6 convertible really fit in with the original M DNA?
+1. It is obvious BMW has done their homework and feel there is enough of a demographic out there that is willing to spend 90K+ on a high performance SUV.

As far as watering the M badge down, I am somewhat indifferent towards that notion. Ultimately, I would rather see BMW stay a viable and innovative entity in these extremely trying times rather than just remain 'another car manufacturer.' It is the innovation and creativity that makes BMW unique, especially the M division. From a purist standpoint, I can certaintly understand the qualms about throwing M badges and a turbo-charged engine into an enormous SUV; after all the Spirit of M is Naturally Aspirated performace cars that offer the perfect blend of luxury and performance. At the same time, if manufacturing/selling these SUV's will lead to increased revenue/profits for BMW, than I am all for it.

Mabye with this increased revenue, enough R&D can be implemented so that the next generation M3 will be truly The ULTIMATE!!!

Only time will tell gents... only time we tell.....
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0