E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Credit Scores

02-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #67
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Good God you're right. For some reason people fuck up department store credit cards and the such 1000000x more often than they do with the 'real' cards. I have no idea why, but it's the case.

for some reason people dont' realize they're 'real' credit cards. there's all sorts of little benefits (better cashback, no interest, as noted above). but they will bite you in the ass HARD if you screw up once.
Yep, which is why the companies press selling them. One people spend credit much faster than they will cash, and two if they fuck up its like a 25% interest rate that makes the card company a lot of money.
      02-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #68
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Believe it or not, when you reach the upper echelon, it's quite the opposite. you get to exploit the credit card companies.
There's all sorts of shit out there for this, but you know how credit card companies offer xyz amazing deal if you sign up for their card. If you mass sign up once (say 30 cards), you get roundtrips around the world for free, months worth of hotel stays, blah blah blah...and the only negative is a hit on your credit rating. (which if you're well over 800, that hit won't hurt you much).
LOL

Credit, the way to prosperity!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #69
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
on the note of AMEX charge cards... I don't believe all AMEX is charge based. I'm pretty sure AMEX Blue for example is a regular credit card.

Blake, GP? am i wrong here?
no not all amex are charge cards, there are revolving amex's. personally, i wouldn't want an amex with revolving lines. it's not accepted worldwide like visa/mc.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #70
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

And for Sara's sake, and possibly some other viewers, I'll quickly go over why I hate AMEX with such a passion. again, if you're a 'normal' person.

1. They're accepted nowhere...or rather in my experience, not much more than Discover card is in the states.
2. Their lower tier customer support is not very thrilling.
3. Even if you pay off the balance every month in full, been a customer for years they can and they fucking WILL () cancel your account with no warning. fucking your credit history, and won't respond to any calls.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #71
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Freakazoid, delete some of your PMs
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #72
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And for Sara's sake, and possibly some other viewers, I'll quickly go over why I hate AMEX with such a passion. again, if you're a 'normal' person.

1. They're accepted nowhere...or rather in my experience, not much more than Discover card is in the states.
2. Their lower tier customer support is not very thrilling.
3. Even if you pay off the balance every month in full, been a customer for years they can and they fucking WILL () cancel your account with no warning. fucking your credit history, and won't respond to any calls.
And doesn't amex cost the merchants more on fee's, so that is why not as many people accept them?
      02-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #73
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
no not all amex are charge cards, there are revolving amex's. personally, i wouldn't want an amex with revolving lines. it's not accepted worldwide like visa/mc.
how does one sign up for an amex charge card? Googling I can only come up with old antiquated posts and can't find anything recent/relevant
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #74
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

amex isn't awful. for example, i use my amex on large purchases because the rewards are amazing. but then again, i have some special relationships with a few banks that allow me to have a certain color amex free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #75
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
amex isn't awful. for example, i use my amex on large purchases because the rewards are amazing. but then again, i have some special relationships with a few banks that allow me to have a certain color amex free of charge.
blllaacccckkk
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #76
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
how does one sign up for an amex charge card? Googling I can only come up with old antiquated posts and can't find anything recent/relevant
In my experience they find you.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #77
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
And doesn't amex cost the merchants more on fee's, so that is why not as many people accept them?
oops I meant to put the #4 in there too. From what I've been told they're the worst, worse than discover card.

But I'm not a vendor, so I could be wrong here, they might even have some sort of discount programs or something I'm not aware of.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #78
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
well green, platinum, and centurion are all amex charge cards. the rest are revolving. for example, a lot of big banks (bofa, chase, etc.) offer amex revolving credit cards. they're simply CC's that carry the amex logo that big banks hold your revolving line. it's just another cc. the charge card has some pretty stringent requirements, IE good credit and well established, blemish free history. but being amex plat and up has just about the best rewards anyone can wish for, provided that you have the resources to spend and pay it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #79
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:

yea we do need the yang here. I guess amex isn't that bad when you get to that high echelon. unfortunately the fuckers never let me get to that point.

btw I have a discover card 'black' whatdya think about THAT (no it's literally just a black discover card that's monogramed with my initials that I scratched everything off hahahah)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #80
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
yea we do need the yang here. I guess amex isn't that bad when you get to that high echelon. unfortunately the fuckers never let me get to that point.

btw I have a discover card 'black' whatdya think about THAT (no it's literally just a black discover card that's monogramed with my initials that I scratched everything off hahahah)
The best cards are the two black ones in my wallet
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #81
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
but being amex plat and up has just about the best rewards anyone can wish for, provided that you have the resources to spend and pay it.
my one childhood friend works with the amex black customers, and some of the stuff they do...it's ridiculous. like having a butler on call for you at any given tie.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #82
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well green, platinum, and centurion are all amex charge cards. the rest are revolving. for example, a lot of big banks (bofa, chase, etc.) offer amex revolving credit cards. they're simply CC's that carry the amex logo that big banks hold your revolving line. it's just another cc. the charge card has some pretty stringent requirements, IE good credit and well established, blemish free history. but being amex plat and up has just about the best rewards anyone can wish for, provided that you have the resources to spend and pay it.
I think my pops has the amex platinum for business, I dont think it is too hard to obtain.
      02-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #83
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Is it really that advantageous to have a 780 over a 760? Once your score is excellent...what's the point?
It's a culturally perpetuated form of slavery. You want a higher score? Take upon more debt, and only keep the balances below 35%, then your score will be higher. The higher the score, the more "trustworthy" you are. If you don't have any revolving debt, you're less trustworthy, you don't want to be less trustworthy. Kenneth Chenault would be very displeased.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #84
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Has anyone been offered the Blue skycard? Is it a yay or nay card?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #85
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

sara, amex isn't for you. just get a couple really good visa/mc cards and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #86
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Has anyone been offered the Blue skycard? Is it a yay or nay card?
that's the level in which AMEX is absolute shit, all 3 of my points above applies to any of the amex 'blue' level stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #87
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I think my pops has the amex platinum for business, I dont think it is too hard to obtain.
well for business, amex is just about the gold standard. if i owned and operated my own business, i would charge everything on amex that i would pay cash for.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #88
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
sara, amex isn't for you. just get a couple really good visa/mc cards and call it a day.
discover card blake damn you, discover card
Appreciate 0