E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > DIY e90 Dakota Beige Center Console Re-finished from chipping

09-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
richouston
BMW FTW!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan- Jet Black

DIY e90 Dakota Beige Center Console Re-finished from chipping

Hello,

I was able to get my e90 at a very good price, but the reason was becuase my car had a number of minor cosmetic defects that needed to be addressed.

Here is how I refinished/touched up my center console, especially the rear facing portion.

The portion of the center console that faces the rear seats was in terrible shape. The OEM beige covering was either chipped or completely missing on over 50% of the rear facing console. Every panel had a problem, except for the panel with the A/C vents.

I looked online and couldn't find any sort of paint that I could purchase, and the only other option was pay a company over 1k to refinish it professionally.

Well here is how I did it for about $20...

First, I need to tell you what not to do and what is a waste of money. I initially found on ebay a dakota beige colored leather touch up kit that supposedly could be used as paint. It came in a 30ml bottle for about $20 bucks alone.

Here is a link, picture of it and a link to ebay. Use it on leather maybe, but not the interior console.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120946209046...84.m1439.l2649

Untitled by richouston24, on Flickr

When I got it, it ended up being a waste. First, the bottle was super tiny. If you needed a lot of it you would be in trouble. Next, it was very watery and watered down. It wasnt an exact color match and was overall w waste of money. It may have a good use sometime, but for me it was a waste.

Next, what I did was remove the dashboard trim piece that surrounds the cup holders on the passenger side. I took that piece to Menards where I used there color match machine to get some proper color matched paint. I got a Flat, Medium Based, Paint and Primer in One Sample bottle. All in all it was $3.49 for about 7.5 oz. of exact Dakota Beige matched Paint.

Here is a pic of the paint. It actually has a number on the lid that I can take back for another exact match, should I need more. (I only used a little)

Behr color matched paint and primer in one dakota beige by richouston24, on Flickr

Dakota Beige e90 3series color match interior touch up by richouston24, on Flickr

Here is what I purchased to do the entire job:
- Blue Painters Tape $2.99
- Pack of Paint Brushes $1.99
- Color Matched Dakota Beige Paint $3.49
- Krylon Clear Coat Spray Paint $6.99

I didnt even think to take before pictures, it was a total Noob move on my part, so I am sorry.

Here are the pictures of the finished product, feel free to make fun of my Little M Emblem on the console...that part so was so empty and decided to spice it up a little.

Also, the panel that has the A/C vents was not touched by the Menards Paint...you can see just a very slight difference in color from the OEM color to the Menards bought color matched paint.

After I was done, I lightly sprayed over it was a clear coat...just to make sure any cleaning chemicals I use wont make the Menards paint smear.

For about $20 to do the entire job...I am pretty happy with how it came out.

Dakota Beige e90 3series color match interior touch up by richouston24, on Flickr

Here is where the seat belt rubbed it away...you cant see it anymore.

Overall I am pretty happy. Let me know what you think, hope this helps someone else!

Appreciate 0