E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Simota CB2 Intake + MDF Scoops + Heat Shield - Review

04-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
wulfy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011, E90, M-Sport, 335i, x-dr

Simota CB2 Intake + MDF Scoops + Heat Shield - Review

Just installed my Simota CB2 intake that I picked up from Mach at M-Force design and I must say this thing puts out some incredible sound! As for performace, there really isn't a big difference in pull but I can feel a noticably better responce when reving above 3000rpms. I also have the m-force designed scoops with the heat shield so I'm sure that makes a difference as well.
Mach was a great guy to deal with, if you want more info send him a PM, Mach@M force design.....

Check out these pics (sorry no sound video)......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37842697@N07/3481980394/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37842697@N07/3481174241/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37842697@N07/3481179897/
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

that's not really a heat shield, the best design is still a sealed airbox. Thanks for sharing the pics though
      04-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
it looks really limited in volume

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
Mach@M-Force_Design
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90

Looks good! Glad your enjoying the intake

I made the images easier for people to view,

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
PJ@M-Force_Design
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

You are right, the heat shield is for avoid hot air sucked by intake as much much as possible. If it is a dealed airbox, you will not hear any sound. The bottom line is, this intake is designed for providing racing car sound but also give you better respond and small gain hp (5-7). Try it and you will know how it sound like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
that's not really a heat shield, the best design is still a sealed airbox. Thanks for sharing the pics though
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
scatterbrain
Rep
Drives: '06 330i SG/Alum/Terra 6MT

Here's my review:

I just installed mine last night. My car: '06 E90 330i. Only other mod is a short shift knob from leatherZ.

I think it took me longer to put the heat shield together (TINY little screws and had to match up all the pieces because there were no assembly directions,which really wasn't a big deal) than to install the intake.

Fitment of the intake itself is great, but one corner of the heat shield taps on the CF cone, so I put a piece of electrical tape on it so the pointy corner doesn't scratch it up too much.

I fired it up and drove it 37 miles to work, and the sound, once I hit around 2750 RPM's, is agressive. The bad part I found is when driving in 6th gear doing around 76-80mph, my RPM's hover between 2750-3000, and the aggressive sound has now turned to a drone, which I hate. I don't know what it sounds like on the outside, but in the cabin it reminds me of a badly modded civic droning sound. I don't know if I can live with it. If it wasn't raining I'd have my friend video it so I could hear it played back, and he can let me know if it's 'ricey' sounding.

Performance wise: I didn't reset the ECU, so when I initially got to run the car up to 80, I didn't notice a difference outside of the noise. I then ended up in stop and go traffic, but after 30+ miles when I could give it some gas it did seem to seem a bit more responsive. I figure I should see the best results once the ECU fully adapts.

So far, so good on no CEL, which scared me reading some other reviews of other intakes.

To summarize:
Price: good. paid $340 shipped, and m-force threw in the scoops even though i missed out on the group buy (THANKS!!!)

Fitment of intake: great
Fitment of heat shield: not as much so.
Fitment of scoops: perfect, dropped right in.

Sound: Agressive, but the droning bothers me. I drive a lot of highway miles, unfortunately usually at the speed the droning starts. I'll keep it on for a while and see what comes of things. If I can get my friend to video it, I'll throw it up here. Unfortunately it's supposed to rain all week, so it could be a while.

I am wondering if the droning has to do with the design looking like one of those huge coffee-can exhausts or the 3-stage intake on the 330 kicking in, or both. I wonder if there's a sound difference on the single-stage 325's.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
c_jeong89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 TiAg

I have had this intake for a few weeks now but haven't gotten the chance to write a review. I have to agree with all the other customers who bought the intake in that the sound is very nice, you won't be disappointed. Also, the throttle response improved with little performance gain. It is only just an intake so I wouldn't expect much, I was mostly getting it for the sound. Commenting on the droning from scatterbrain, I drive an auto 328i and I also drive average 80 mph on the highway but my RPMs hover at around 2500 rpm so I can't hear really any droning. Anyways thanks MFD for the great intake, also for the free scoops!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
wulfy
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011, E90, M-Sport, 335i, x-dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
Here's my review:

Fitment of the intake itself is great, but one corner of the heat shield taps on the CF cone, so I put a piece of electrical tape on it so the pointy corner doesn't scratch it up too much.

Agree with your review...I did the same thing as you with the electrical tape so the heat shield wouldn't scratch the intake...

Scatterbrain: Have you noticed any lag in power when you give it gas at lower RPM's???
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
scatterbrain
Rep
Drives: '06 330i SG/Alum/Terra 6MT

wulfy, up until yesterday I haven't noticed any lag / power loss, and I'm attributing that to the high heat and humidity in my area at the time.

Overall, I am still very happy with it. I had a friend film me doing a drive-by so I could hear how loud it is on the outside, and it sounds really nice. I'll have to convince him to send the the file so I can put it up.

In regard to my comments about the droning, it only seems to be INSIDE the cabin. Outside it doesn't sound like that at all. It's like the closed cabin is increasing the noise. Once I crack a window or sunroof even just a bit, it goes away.
Appreciate 0