E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Car randomly shutting down. Please help!

07-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Car randomly shutting down. Please help!

Hello all,

Hoping my fellow forum members can help me with a diagnosis.

Here's the situation. When i come to a complete stop after driving for a short period of time the RPM's on my vehicle will bottom out causing my engine to shut down. The radio, power options, etc will be working fine when this happens. Due to this, I have to put the car back in park in order to fire the engine back up again. Maybe its my imagination, but for some reason it only seems to happen when i am using my AC. The check engine light has been on for a short period of time as well. I went and got it coded when it first appeared and it was associated with an EVAP leak. I took it to my local indy and they said the purge valve and vanos fault codes were pulling in. They repaired the purge valve, cleaned and swapped the vanos solenoids, and repaired a transmission pan leak. Everything appeared to be ok in the short term. That is until my check engine light reappeared and my car suddenly turned off at a complete stop again, this time in downtown Atlanta . I took it back to my indy and they told me to leave it with them for a day so they could run some more tests. Unfortunately, they were unable to figure out the issue. Everything is still pointing to the vanos, but they swapped the solenoids with new ones and that still didn't fix the problem. Now they are saying that they have to remove the valve cover and it could be the timing chain or something associated with it. Due to this lengthy service, I was quoted almost $800. I paid $1600 in repairs just last week into this supposedly bulletproof engine, and i would prefer to not have to pay another $800 just for a diagnosis. Bad timing since, i just relocated to Atlanta for work. I am hoping somebody has a lead here. Looking forward to your thoughts.

2007 BMW 328I coupe 71k

Thanks All
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #2
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.. View Post
I don't know much about engines in general, but I doubt it is the timing chain. You need to pull up the codes yourself next time the engine light comes on. I would suggest it could be a number of things. Mainly vanos solenoids, vaccum leak, or MAF sensor.Check if there is oil in the eccentric shaft sensor. Pop the engine cover off and it is the black cable connected to the plug in the engine block. Remove the plug and look for oil there
Unfortunately, my mechanic has pulled the same code numerous times now. Always pointing back to the vanos. He even replaced my solenoids with a new pair, took it for a test drive, and of course the check engine light reappeared. It happened again yesterday on my way home from work. Car turned off on busy I75 in stop and go traffic. This is getting dangerous. I swear it only happens when i run my AC. What makes it even more unusual is that other than a brief rough idle upon startup it runs perfectly fine. I will ask my mechanic about the MAF sensor and if there is oil in the eccentric shaft sensor. What if oil is found?

Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #3
GSTiDDY
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328XI

Could be the VVT motor. My car was doing the same thing but this was without the AC on and my RPM's were jumping from 300-1800 in cold starts. Started off by changing the spark plugs and the coils (was at 113k miles). Everything ran smoothly and haven't stalled for about a month. Next thing you know the engine would shut off before coming to a stop, and this wass at 20-30mph or less. Shit stalled every stop during traffic. Got fed up and took it to a dealership. Told me the VVT needed to be replaced and they quoted me about 2500 with labor lol. Ended up gettin it done for $360 with labor from a member here. Now I'm running smoother than when I first bought it at 111k. Good luck Brother!
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2015, 08:33 AM   #4
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTiDDY View Post
Could be the VVT motor. My car was doing the same thing but this was without the AC on and my RPM's were jumping from 300-1800 in cold starts. Started off by changing the spark plugs and the coils (was at 113k miles). Everything ran smoothly and haven't stalled for about a month. Next thing you know the engine would shut off before coming to a stop, and this wass at 20-30mph or less. Shit stalled every stop during traffic. Got fed up and took it to a dealership. Told me the VVT needed to be replaced and they quoted me about 2500 with labor lol. Ended up gettin it done for $360 with labor from a member here. Now I'm running smoother than when I first bought it at 111k. Good luck Brother!
Thanks you sir. I appreciate the help. I will bring this suggestion up to my indy. $2500??? That's crazy! Did the VVT motor throw any codes?

Over the weekend I got my DME updated hoping this would fix the problem, and of course, the car stalled on me again while pulling into a parking garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 08:39 AM   #5
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed017 View Post
Thanks you sir. I appreciate the help. I will bring this suggestion up to my indy. $2500??? That's crazy! Did the VVT motor throw any codes?

Over the weekend I got my DME updated hoping this would fix the problem, and of course, the car stalled on me again while pulling into a parking garage.
Check out Bimmer Service Center, two metro locations. Good and trustworthy guys.
      08-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot View Post
Check out Bimmer Service Center, two metro locations. Good and trustworthy guys.
Thank you for the information. I will check into them.

Here are my fault codes: 2A87 (exhaust vans, mechanism) and 2A82 ( Vanos Intake). My Indy replaced the vehicle camshaft solenoid adjusters with good solenoids, and cleared the faults. A road test was performed and the check engine light returned. The car was re-scanned and they received the same faults. They are thinking they need to do an engine timing inspection. Possible stretched timing chain or failed Vanos units? Plus, I thought the engine would only stall while the AC was running. I was wrong, it shut down the other evening without AC. Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Probably failed Vanos Units. Have them look at the check valves and see if they are dirty, but I doubt it will do much.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Also, have you tried removing the MAF and seeing if the problem continues?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Probably failed Vanos Units. Have them look at the check valves and see if they are dirty, but I doubt it will do much.
Appreciate the response. What is the check valve? I have not removed the MAF sensor. Is there an easy DIY? I recently relocated to Atlanta, and unfortunately, the only place I can work on my car is in a parking garage.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the response. What is the check valve? I have not removed the MAF sensor. Is there an easy DIY? I recently relocated to Atlanta, and unfortunately, the only place I can work on my car is in a parking garage.
The MAF sensor can be unplugged with a flat head, takes 15 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:17 AM   #11
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Was there an extended warranty letter on vanos/intake adjusters? Could they be the cause?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #12
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
The MAF sensor can be unplugged with a flat head, takes 15 seconds.
I will unplug it tonight. If the problem doesn't continue does this only rule out the MAF sensor?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Was there an extended warranty letter on vanos/intake adjusters? Could they be the cause?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe it only applies to 2010 and newer models.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
matteblue3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: Racecar

My bet is a failing eccentric shaft sensor. It's under the valve cover which sucks. It's also a $300+ sensor.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblue3er View Post
My bet is a failing eccentric shaft sensor. It's under the valve cover which sucks. It's also a $300+ sensor.
You can unplug the sensor, and if the car drives fine...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe it only applies to 2010 and newer models.
Sounds like yes. But here's the story with some details, interesting reading and explanation of the cause. Read even if your car is before 2010 since you may have the same issue. Feels like recall dates were determined by failure rate, so yours may have the same thing, it's just not happening frequent enough for your year and so they skipped.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...V176-8618P.pdf

It sounds like turbo engines are more affected and for them it's a recall. For non-turbo it's service campaign.

My engine stalls 0-3 times per day randomly and my car is 2010. One time it did that in the turn where I lost power steering... that was scary and that is a BIG BIG BIG safety issue.

So I wonder if I should call BMW service department...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:41 PM   #17
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i coupe

wow, this sounds v. similar to the issue I'm having with the engine dying down when coasting out of gear w/ a/c on (manual tranny). my post is here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4#post18772364

so no solution still ?
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
. Short Shifter + Turner PU bearing + ZHP M weighted shift knob. CDV delete

Last edited by DaanBMW; 10-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 02:54 PM   #18
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaanBMW View Post
wow, this sounds v. similar to the issue I'm having with the engine dying down when coasting out of gear w/ a/c on (manual tranny). my post is here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...4#post18772364

so no solution still ?
no solution on my end. The car has been sitting in my parking garage for two months now. Fortunately, my wife and i carpool to work so we only need one car. Sad as it is, i am probably going to end up taking it to the dealer as i have already spent $1600 at an indy without a resolution. Really hoping they don't have to remove the valve cover. That labor alone is murder.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 10:19 PM   #19
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Nasty, bimmer sitting in garage for 2 months... Whatever you end up doing, please post your experience. I'm leaning towards it being a VVT issue... which involves the valve cover you dread.
. BMW Perf: v2 springs + v1 dampers. Valeo SMFW+clutch. 034 MotorSport engine mounts
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #20
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nasty, bimmer sitting in garage for 2 months... Whatever you end up doing, please post your experience. I'm leaning towards it being a VVT issue... which involves the valve cover you dread.
Will do. You do the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #21
DaanBMW
Captain
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Will do. You do the same.
For sure I will. With the colder weather in, I'm gonna be fine for a while.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2015, 10:27 AM   #22
reed017
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
For sure I will. With the colder weather in, I'm gonna be fine for a while.
The last time I used my car it shut down without the AC on. Thinking about taking it out this weekend though. Needs a wash, but i have to admit i am still a bit timid.
Appreciate 0