E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > top gear america season deux

08-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

top gear america season deux

it's growing on me ever so slightly. anyone else?

their SIARPC still sucks (pawn stars...really?), but i've enjoyed the rest of the newest shows.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Still sucks
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

zero improvement.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Gearcraft
misadventurer
Philippines
Rep
Drives: bubbie mystic blue whale

its a hit or miss for me. i liked their alaska challenge. not as epic as TG UK's antarctic challenge but cant expect for more at this point.
      08-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
it's growing on me ever so slightly. anyone else?

their SIARPC still sucks (pawn stars...really?), but i've enjoyed the rest of the newest shows.
100% agreed, the chemistry between the hosts has certainly been improving, and I've actually enjoyed this season so far, whereas I more or less watched the last one just because it was a car show on tv.

I implore anyone who's gonna bring up TGUK comparisons to watch the first season of that variant...it was just as bad, if not worse than TGUSA's first season. Obviously, TGUK > TGUSA in their current forms, but TGUK has been on a decline the past couple years IMO.

I also like that while the traditional TG formula is in place, and given a few challenges have been recycled, for the most part it is not a carbon copy rip off of the UK show. I think the whole "some say he knows nothing about ducks and eats his cereal with blood" type crap is pretty lame, and the perpetual insecurity of the British show hasn't really pervaded the USA hosts, I'm talking the constant lame shots at the US and other countries, the obvious nationalism is car preference, etc...

I'm just glad TGUSA got picked up for another season because it definitely has potential. People at my office who've never even heard of TGUK are watching it and seem to enjoy it, and not just car guys either...

As far as the guests go, yea, they suck, but at least I know who most of them are...not always the case with the UK version I expect History to self promote a lot of its own shows, as the carry over affect can work in both directions, and I'm not sure how many "big name" people the show will attract for the foreseeable future...I forgot Kid Rock and Tony Hawk even existed before they came on Season 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #6
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

It's been growing on me since day one. I try to think of it as just another car show rather than just another Top Gear spinoff. I think if it was called something other than Top Gear most of the complaints would disappear. I know it's not as fun and epic as TG UK, but I enjoy watching it.
      08-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
100% agreed, the chemistry between the hosts has certainly been improving, and I've actually enjoyed this season so far, whereas I more or less watched the last one just because it was a car show on tv.

I implore anyone who's gonna bring up TGUK comparisons to watch the first season of that variant...it was just as bad, if not worse than TGUSA's first season. Obviously, TGUK > TGUSA in their current forms, but TGUK has been on a decline the past couple years IMO.

I also like that while the traditional TG formula is in place, and given a few challenges have been recycled, for the most part it is not a carbon copy rip off of the UK show. I think the whole "some say he knows nothing about ducks and eats his cereal with blood" type crap is pretty lame, and the perpetual insecurity of the British show hasn't really pervaded the USA hosts, I'm talking the constant lame shots at the US and other countries, the obvious nationalism is car preference, etc...

I'm just glad TGUSA got picked up for another season because it definitely has potential. People at my office who've never even heard of TGUK are watching it and seem to enjoy it, and not just car guys either...

As far as the guests go, yea, they suck, but at least I know who most of them are...not always the case with the UK version I expect History to self promote a lot of its own shows, as the carry over affect can work in both directions, and I'm not sure how many "big name" people the show will attract for the foreseeable future...I forgot Kid Rock and Tony Hawk even existed before they came on Season 1.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #8
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

When the hell does the REAL Top Gear start to air here?

I was all excited the other night when I checked my DVR after being out of town for a while. I was totally bummed when I saw it was the American version that was recorded. PHUCK!
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
When the hell does the REAL Top Gear start to air here?

I was all excited the other night when I checked my DVR after being out of town for a while. I was totally bummed when I saw it was the American version that was recorded. PHUCK!
finalgear.com
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

I find it unwatchable.
      08-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I too thought the Alaska episode was great however most episodes do lack chemistry between the hosts... Why? Because they barely know each other at this point! To compare them to a show that's been on the air for 15ish years is completely unfair. I like it for what it is which is the awkward beginning to a potentially great show.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

I cringed every time they said fourfiftyeight Italia.

You think they'd get it right being American eg. Olds 4-4-2.
      08-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #13
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

They need new hosts and stick to car reviews until they have orginal ideas not copies of the uk
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I've never seen the American version I've heard it sucks but I like top gear uk some of the stuff they do is hilarious though some of it seems planned/scripted I still like it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #15
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Season 1 of TGUK is still more watchable than TGUS IMO. The US hosts just don't seem like they enjoy what they're doing.
      08-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #16
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

tough crowd in here.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
bluespeed117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Garage List
2007 e90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Season 1 of TGUK is still more watchable than TGUS IMO. The US hosts just don't seem like they enjoy what they're doing.
Dont know about that one. TGUK Season 1 wasnt challenged based like it is now. It was completely different with a different host on the show. It took TGUK a while to get to where it is now.

Im not saying TGUS is good, but it could be with time and maybe some host changes. Dont forget that unlike the US version, TGUK is paid by the taxpayers allowing them to do much more outrageous things and say controversial things on the show. Remember the mexicans comment? No way in hell would TGUS be able to say something like that. Its those things that TGUK has over TGUS that makes it better.

Once TGUS is able to bring those cards to the table it will be a better show.
      08-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #18
WDBi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

TGUSA doesnt have enough good cars on the past couple episodes have been about trucks or first cars with barely any cars making their way in the show
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #19
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
They need new hosts and stick to car reviews until they have orginal ideas not copies of the uk
100% behind this.

TGUK (modern format) started by doing just this. Obviously the reviews were well written, thoughtful, and entertaining, and the show really took off from them. The hosts have always been confident and obviously play a big part in writing for the show so you can tell their opinions and ideas are authentic. Neither can be said of the hosts of TGUS.

I was personally shocked at S02E01 of TGUS. Completely irrelevant piece of TV. Sitting around a campfire drinking for 6 mins? Showing a 2 min. recap after each commercial? It was hideous, imo the worst I've seen from TGUS and not how I would have started the season.

brooklyn guy talking about robbing rich people's houses as they drove out to the hamptons had me laughing though...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #20
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Also I'd be more than annoyed if I were driving on the highway behind them with all that mulch flying everywhere.