E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Software

07-29-2009, 05:46 PM   #23
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
OK, I'll bite:

1. Mk, you don't seem a bit concerned about the fact that the car was sold to you without the Dinan flash being disclosed. The Dinan flash arguably has value, but it's also indicative of the use the car had before you got it, and I would have wanted to know about it before I paid a bunch of $ for this car. FWIW the seller of the car almost certainly knew about it between the paperwork and the sticker that should be on the ECU box.

2. I thought the stage 1 code was less than $1999, did the dealer or Dinan shop rip the previous owner off?

3. Why not take the car to the nearest Dinan shop, have it checked out, and make sure the code is loaded and the car is making the power it should. The Dinan warranty should be transferable on sale, the car thus has coverage from BMW and Dinan so if it's not running properly they have an obligation to fix it.

You just got the car, why not be patient with things and see if you can be happy with a car that should be making 300+ RWHP with a full warranty before you put on the JB3 and toss those warranties away. It's one thing IMHO to choose a JB3 over Dinan on their respective merits, it's quite another to toss away a $2K tune paid for by the previous owner and the warranty that comes with it for the sake of another 30 or 40 HP.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disregard if you don't agree
Now there's a sensible thinker... This is the best advise yet...
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #24
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
[QUOTE=Angry3;5607790]OK, I'll bite:

1. Mk, you don't seem a bit concerned about the fact that the car was sold to you without the Dinan flash being disclosed. The Dinan flash arguably has value, but it's also indicative of the use the car had before you got it, and I would have wanted to know about it before I paid a bunch of $ for this car. FWIW the seller of the car almost certainly knew about it between the paperwork and the sticker that should be on the ECU box.

A: I did not know that the software was on the car when I purchased the car, the car went into a trade in into bmw and the car was up on auction 3 weeks after the trade in of the vehicle. I did however call the previous owner of the car and talked to him for about an hour. He basically is a 50 year old guy who was looking for a car to play around with until he could get something else. If you know anything about auctions, when the car goes into auction they do a minimal check up and regardless of if it is modded they do not really note that, because the car came from BMW I was not worried and having warranty and extended maintance made it much easier to pick up this car
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #25
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Continue...

2. I thought the stage 1 code was less than $1999, did the dealer or Dinan shop rip the previous owner off?

A:That is what I thought as well, I am not sure why the charged him that much and I am going to call Dinan again and see if it is truely stage one or stage two, but the date kinda makes me think it was purchased pretty close to when it was released, I was not able to ask the previous owner why he was charged that much, but Dinan ran my vin and they told me that it was stage one

3. Why not take the car to the nearest Dinan shop, have it checked out, and make sure the code is loaded and the car is making the power it should. The Dinan warranty should be transferable on sale, the car thus has coverage from BMW and Dinan so if it's not running properly they have an obligation to fix it.

A: I will be going into a dealership locally that does work with Dinan, A Dina rep told me that they can plug in a OBDII and check if the software is loaded and if not I can send out my ECU and they will reflash it for me

You just got the car, why not be patient with things and see if you can be happy with a car that should be making 300+ RWHP with a full warranty before you put on the JB3 and toss those warranties away. It's one thing IMHO to choose a JB3 over Dinan on their respective merits, it's quite another to toss away a $2K tune paid for by the previous owner and the warranty that comes with it for the sake of another 30 or 40 HP.

A: I never said I was not happy with the software if it is loaded on it right now, I am just saying that overall my goals are looking for more then what the Dinan software offers without having to buy upgrades that are close to 500 for a tune that will not overall support all my mods that I will have in the future, I love being able to have a ECU flash with warranty, I am not trying to throw that away, just curious thats all.
Just my thoughts, feel free to disregard if you don't agree [/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #26
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
There are requirements for Stage 2 and Stage 3, but I don't remember exactly what and don't care to look it up. Things like Dinan FMIC, Dinan upgraded oil cooler, Dinan axle-back "exhaust" are required at some point.
The werid thing about the whole oil cooler upgrade is my car does come with it with my sport package, but the recipet I had founded states that an upgraded one was installed and I am curious why stage 2 programming was not recommended when a sale of a oil cooler was sold... I think I may call the dealership tomorrow to find out
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #27
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
The werid thing about the whole oil cooler upgrade is my car does come with it with my sport package, but the recipet I had founded states that an upgraded one was installed and I am curious why stage 2 programming was not recommended when a sale of a oil cooler was sold... I think I may call the dealership tomorrow to find out
so your car has the OEM oil cooler or the Dinan oil cooler?

sounds like your saying its the OEM one installed and it was paid for by previous owner?
      07-29-2009, 08:56 PM   #28
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
so your car has the OEM oil cooler or the Dinan oil cooler?

sounds like your saying its the OEM one installed and it was paid for by previous owner?
It came with oem and he upgarded it to dinan which he said was recommended by BMW.. So they basically ripped him off ha
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #29
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
It came with oem and he upgarded it to dinan which he said was recommended by BMW.. So they basically ripped him off ha
yeah they did, they must have seen him coming cash in hand and no brain between his ears.
      07-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #30
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Yeah I'm pretty about that.. But I'm not complaining I got it for free so I'm happy for now
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #31
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
The Dinan oil cooler will be significantly larger than oe. If the Dinan oil cooler is installed in your car, I'm curious how high your oil temps get.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #32
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
The Dinan oil cooler will be significantly larger than oe. If the Dinan oil cooler is installed in your car, I'm curious how high your oil temps get.
im not sure about the temps, so i am not sure
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #33
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
So u have that monsterous oil cooler then ? If any thing call Westmont BMW and ask for Ryan Burton in service. Tell him I sent you. He'll really let you know what's going. I pick his brain all the time and i've always been satisfied with his answers.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #34
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanJJ09 View Post
So u have that monsterous oil cooler then ? If any thing call Westmont BMW and ask for Ryan Burton in service. Tell him I sent you. He'll really let you know what's going. I pick his brain all the time and i've always been satisfied with his answers.
will do, i just looked at Dinans website and it shows that the price is much less than what the original buyer bought it for.. grr I wish dinan just upgraded it for free haha
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #35
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
imo..if you bought a car and they did not disclose engine modifications such as a software reflash, I would go back and demand money back in the tune of thousands.

contrary to having a car and modding it and feeling great, mods decrease the resale value of a car significantly since it is indicative of certain abuse and possible harm to the car.

Definitely go back and complain, its illegal to just toss it your way without any documentation of such modification which implicitly voids your BMW warranty on the engine.

get some ZMP out of it and some wheels
      07-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #36
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
imo..if you bought a car and they did not disclose engine modifications such as a software reflash, I would go back and demand money back in the tune of thousands.

contrary to having a car and modding it and feeling great, mods decrease the resale value of a car significantly since it is indicative of certain abuse and possible harm to the car.

Definitely go back and complain, its illegal to just toss it your way without any documentation of such modification which implicitly voids your BMW warranty on the engine.

get some ZMP out of it and some wheels
haha i highly doubt that they will refund my money, I did buy it at an auction and I did get it for a really good price, I am happy with it and I did talk to the past owner of the car and BMW will be doing a full inspection of the car, I understand the notion of purchasing a moded car, but I feel like with warranty and the amount of money that was put into it when purchased brand new is worth it to me
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #37
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Quote:
haha i highly doubt that they will refund my money, I did buy it at an auction and I did get it for a really good price, I am happy with it and I did talk to the past owner of the car and BMW will be doing a full inspection of the car, I understand the notion of purchasing a moded car, but I feel like with warranty and the amount of money that was put into it when purchased brand new is worth it to me
im not saying return it, and im sure the price was a steal

but the price would have been even more of a steal if they had disclosed that it had dinan software installed, because that alone devalues the car. Id complain b/c they scammed you into paying a good price for a stock car, and they gave you modded (even if you like the mod)
      07-29-2009, 10:27 PM   #38
CubanJJ09
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an asshole

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [6.18]
when and where was the tuned installed? ( prob patrick in schuamburg, laurel in westmont, or fall line motor sports up in northbrook would be my top three guesses)

also how many miles does the car have on it? id be pissed about not disclosing the tune too but i think at auctions its "as is" so youll be hard pressed to get anything but its always worth a try
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #39
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

The Dinan oil cooler upgrade is a VERY nice option, I wouldn't complain about that... the only bad thing is how much it costs, but you didn't pay for it.

So, I went ahead and looked it up: you need atleast an OEM oil cooler for stage 2 and that is all. I don't know why anyone would get Stage 1 on their car I guess unless they didn't have the stock oil cooler (which I would be kicking and screaming to get it added by the dealership). Stage 3 is where it requires the Dinan oil cooler AND the FMIC. Their axle-back isn't required for anything, just an option.

I would bump it to stage 2 if you are going to keep Dinan. Actually just get the FMIC and go stage 3 at this point. If you are over 50k miles just dump Dinan and get a real tune. Still need a new FMIC tho, stock one sux balls.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 09:56 AM   #40
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
The Dinan oil cooler upgrade is a VERY nice option, I wouldn't complain about that... the only bad thing is how much it costs, but you didn't pay for it.

So, I went ahead and looked it up: you need atleast an OEM oil cooler for stage 2 and that is all. I don't know why anyone would get Stage 1 on their car I guess unless they didn't have the stock oil cooler (which I would be kicking and screaming to get it added by the dealership). Stage 3 is where it requires the Dinan oil cooler AND the FMIC. Their axle-back isn't required for anything, just an option.

I would bump it to stage 2 if you are going to keep Dinan. Actually just get the FMIC and go stage 3 at this point. If you are over 50k miles just dump Dinan and get a real tune. Still need a new FMIC tho, stock one sux balls.
Yeah it did come with it stock but I am curious why they sold him the cooler and why he paid for it, but i talked to him and hes a older guy (my dads age) and the car has 23K on it and I do not think I will be upgrading to stage 2 anytime soon. I do have an appointment to get the ecu taken back and a full inspection by bmw.

Quote:
CubanJJ09 when and where was the tuned installed? ( prob patrick in schuamburg, laurel in westmont, or fall line motor sports up in northbrook would be my top three guesses)

also how many miles does the car have on it? id be pissed about not disclosing the tune too but i think at auctions its "as is" so youll be hard pressed to get anything but its always worth a try
the car actually came from Texas and it was done at the dealership out there, I mean what can I do, I am happy with the car, and it did come from BMW auction so I might try to talk to them, but I don't really wanna let the car go ha
Appreciate 0