E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > VIDEO: FFSSSHT! Is this normal for a divertor valve? something else?

06-26-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Montego 335i e90

VIDEO: FFSSSHT! Is this normal for a divertor valve? something else?

So I have had my cowl off for a while doing diagnostics and the noise is louder than normal, but the DVs have gotten really loud lately.

I thought one was leaking, so I replaced the stock charge pipe and DVs with a Vishnu charge pipe and Forge DVs i bought from a member. Took it for a test drive and while it doesnt sound like its leaking under normal throttle any more, when i let off the gas... FFSSSHT! Still there.

This video was taken at about 30 miles an hour. sorry its portrait/not great camera work, i was focused on driving, but the sound is there. Very loud whenever i get on the throttle and let off quickly. This wasn't even coming off WOT.

The car is holding boost well - hit 15 PSI consistently on the on-ramps.

Do i still have a leak somewhere or is this just Forge DV + DCI + No Cowl sound?

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
JMARS
Not Baned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

No leak. Sounds Good!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Forge DV still make a slight sound when releasing pressure. Those noises will be more pronounced with the cowl off too including the intake noise as well.

If you are leaking boost you will typically throw a 30ff code if you underboost for more then 3 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I'm going to put the cowl back on and see if it reduces the noise. The more noises I hear the more things I get concerned about and have to figure out
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
gatorheel
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue
So I have had my cowl off for a while doing diagnostics and the noise is louder than normal, but the DVs have gotten really loud lately.

I thought one was leaking, so I replaced the stock charge pipe and DVs with a Vishnu charge pipe and Forge DVs i bought from a member. Took it for a test drive and while it doesnt sound like its leaking under normal throttle any more, when i let off the gas... FFSSSHT! Still there.

This video was taken at about 30 miles an hour. sorry its portrait/not great camera work, i was focused on driving, but the sound is there. Very loud whenever i get on the throttle and let off quickly. This wasn't even coming off WOT.

The car is holding boost well - hit 15 PSI consistently on the on-ramps.

Do i still have a leak somewhere or is this just Forge DV + DCI + No Cowl sound?

Dude! Finally someone else knows what noise I have been asking about for a while. Exact same sound and issues. Does it feel like the car lurches forward when you release the gas real quick liek you did? Like the car was pushed from behind? No boost leaks here either. I am convinced something isnt preventing the air from entering throttle body quick enough. Maybe fucked up throttle body. Who knows. Def have to keep in touch man and let me know if you figure anything out. I will do the same.

Here is link to the noise on my car :

Wait are you sure you didnt steal my car?
      06-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
Definitely sounds normal. If you want to hear how loud the Forge DVs actually are, temporarily disconnect/plug the recirculate hoses. The things are really loud, and the thinner your hoses are, and the more boost you have, the more you hear them...especially with the cowl off.

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | xHP Stage 3 | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | RB PCV | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | Bilstein B12 | M3 Control Arms | Defiv Lockdown Kit | BBS CH | Michelin A/S 3+
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer |
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
evo335xi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335

Dv will recirculate the air, nothing abnormal as far as sound, quick on and off throttle movements can make the car stumble or have these noises as well. I'd be more concerned if it was too quiet haha
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep_Blue View Post
Thanks. I'm going to put the cowl back on and see if it reduces the noise. The more noises I hear the more things I get concerned about and have to figure out
It's a turbo car. So there are a lot more things going on.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
Deep_Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep

i put my cowl back on (and broke a tab )

The sound is mostly gone. Only hear it now if i let up fast at high RPMs. That cowl sure does block a lot of sound.

Now i have intermittent buzzing behind my glovebox i have to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

Quote:
i put my cowl back on (and broke a tab )

The sound is mostly gone. Only hear it now if i let up fast at high RPMs. That cowl sure does block a lot of sound.

boost solenids, does the buzzing only happen at certain rpm? And goes away immediately before and after the specific rpm?

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #11
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
My intermittent buzzing behind the glovebox was the blower, caused by the regulator going out.

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | xHP Stage 3 | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | RB PCV | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | Bilstein B12 | M3 Control Arms | Defiv Lockdown Kit | BBS CH | Michelin A/S 3+
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer |
Appreciate 0