E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oil top off

09-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

oil top off

I keep reading that when people's low oil indicator turns on they just drive to dealership and they will top it off for free. My question is does that apply to CPO or cars out of the free maintenance warranty?

How many of you diyer's actually do this? I do my own oil changes, so I'd probably feel weird to just drive in to get free oil to top off... but it's nice info to know never the less.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernoob View Post
I keep reading that when people's low oil indicator turns on they just drive to dealership and they will top it off for free. My question is does that apply to CPO or cars out of the free maintenance warranty?

How many of you diyer's actually do this? I do my own oil changes, so I'd probably feel weird to just drive in to get free oil to top off... but it's nice info to know never the less.

That applies only to car under maintenance - ie within the 4/50.

But - ask yourself if it is cost effective to drive to the dealer instead of buying a quart and keeping it in your basement.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
That applies only to car under maintenance - ie within the 4/50.

But - ask yourself if it is cost effective to drive to the dealer instead of buying a quart and keeping it in your basement.
No it doesn't. Nor do I feel right about it. Your suggestion is actually what I do. I usually order an extra QT whenever I get the oil change kit from Tischer. I was just curious as to how "generous" BMW is.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I actually don't know if it is "policy." I just know what people have reported.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
rayguy24
the mod bug is crawling in my brain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 tiag aka "luna"

i actually just went two weeks ago, and in the service order report it noted that 2 qtrs were added as a courtesy. I have CPO and still under warranty.

however, the very next day, my oil light came back on saying to add 1+qrt. not sure if this has anything to do with reseting the indicator, or if the "courtesy" really didnt involve anything at all...

my advice, keep extra oil on hand rather than spend a day at the stealership.
Appreciate 0