E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin BMW E9X Review, Pics, Questions, etc.

03-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #243
halofox
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxMark View Post
Hi, Pacific Stereo just did one. They are on Tyler in Riv
Yes.... they did the job for me today...
But my factory USB port doesn't work now....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #244
e92italy
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320 E92 Diesel

Hello there... from Italy.
Im very intrested in this Dynavin unit. So i follow this thread from long time.
I have a question for you, how i could know if my car have the logic 7 system? Cause if i will found out it is on my e92 i will not buy this unit for sure.
Im sorry for my english i know is very bad...
Thanks to all, and best regards....
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #245
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

OK, so I'm hoping to install my Dynavin this weekend but have a few questions about installation and hope someone can help clear them up for me

1. The pink wire labeled "parking" is shown to be attached to ground. My "parking" wire has a female bullet connector socket crimped onto the end. Am I supposed to cut it and attach to ground?

2. The CANBUS box has a 1 large harness socket on one side. The harness plug won't fully insert into this socket. I push fairly hard and it is very snugly in place, but won't move the extra few millimeters to allow it to fully insert and lock. Is this normal?

3. The harness assembly has a very small plastic connector that fits into the CANBUS box on the same side as the IR wire. Does this get connected to the CANBUS? This harness has a green wire labeled "reverse" which has a female bullet connector coming out of it. Another part of the harness assembly has a green wire labeled "reverse" with a male bullet connector. If I have a camera installed is it this connection that will put video on the screen when in reverse gear?

4. What is the plastic pencil-like stick that came packaged with the remote control?

5. Will the AUX connection in the armrest be active as part of the harness connections, or do I need to reroute the cable using AUX IN (L) and (R) RCA cables coming from back of HU?

6. What is the wire labeled "AMP CON."? It has a female bullet connector on it. Do i need to connect it to something?

Last edited by pkirk; 03-03-2011 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #246
uweric5985
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI 323i

Garage List
2009 BMW 323i  [9.50]
Where is the "Menu" and "Audio" button on Dynavin?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #247
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
OK, so I'm hoping to install my Dynavin this weekend but have a few questions about installation and hope someone can help clear them up for me

1. The pink wire labeled "parking" is shown to be attached to ground. My "parking" wire has a female bullet connector socket crimped onto the end. Am I supposed to cut it and attach to ground?

2. The CANBUS box has a 1 large harness socket on one side. The harness plug won't fully insert into this socket. I push fairly hard and it is very snugly in place, but won't move the extra few millimeters to allow it to fully insert and lock. Is this normal?

3. The harness assembly has a very small plastic connector that fits into the CANBUS box on the same side as the IR wire. Does this get connected to the CANBUS? This harness has a green wire labeled "reverse" which has a female bullet connector coming out of it. Another part of the harness assembly has a green wire labeled "reverse" with a male bullet connector. If I have a camera installed is it this connection that will put video on the screen when in reverse gear?

4. What is the plastic pencil-like stick that came packaged with the remote control?

5. Will the AUX connection in the armrest be active as part of the harness connections, or do I need to reroute the cable using AUX IN (L) and (R) RCA cables coming from back of HU?

6. What is the wire labeled "AMP CON."? It has a female bullet connector on it. Do i need to connect it to something?
Answers:

1) I did exactly that, I cut off the connector, stripped the wire, crimped on a ring terminal and attached it to ground. However the V5 Dynavin units (the unit you have) has a software override allowing you to watch video while the car is in motion. You don't have to do anything with this wire.

2) I believe it is fully inserted. I remember looking at it and pushing harder thinking it wasn't all the way in. I stuffed it in my dash as is and haven't had any problems

3) Yes its for a reverse camera. If you don't have a camera I recommend to NOT make this connection, otherwise every time the car is in reverse the screen will go black (it's switching to the camera's video input) and the audio is muted. It's sort of annoying and I need to get behind there an disconnect mine.

4) A stylus for the touch screen, for things were your fingers might be too fat.

5) I haven't tested but I don't think so. I haven't thought about it until now. You would think that that AUX connection is part of the factory harness going into the factory radio, and thus could potentially be reusable by Dynavin but I'm not sure it is. If it's not functional I don't think it'd be trying to convert it to RCAs for the Dynavin aux in because I wouldn't assume that it's an accessible connector on the underside of the center console. Instead of cutting and stripping that wire you can buy a new aux adapter from the Dynavin seller on the e46fanatics.com boards that has an OEM like flush mount capability.

You can also get a USB extension with the same mounting capability.

My plan is to get both of these and mount them in the center console. Then if I ever sell the car I can slap the factory unit back in and the original aux-in will still be functional.

6) You will only need to connect this to something if you have an aftermarket amp that needs a remote turn-on lead. I have an aftermarket amp but because I had it installed long before the Dynavin I had already tapped into the turn-on lead that turns on the factory stock amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #248
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uweric5985 View Post
Where is the "Menu" and "Audio" button on Dynavin?
The audio button is accessed by pressing in the left knob button. This lets you adjust bass, treble, balance, fade, brightness, contrast and color saturation.

There is no "Menu" button like that of the factory function wherein you can reset vehicle information or display the BMW assist information. The Dynavin's menu is accessed within the software using touchscreen buttons.

You can still reset your MPG average, average speed and other functions of the vehicle using the steering wheel stalk.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #249
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

This info is extremely helpful - thanks for taking the time to answer my questions scubasteve!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #250
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Another question (hopefully my last one).

Scubasteve, are you using the internal or external mic for bluetooth? I heard the internal one works as good or better than the external routed to the windshield above the mirror. I was going to install without the external to try it out, but if you have a differing opinion then I'll reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #251
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Another question (hopefully my last one).

Scubasteve, are you using the internal or external mic for bluetooth? I heard the internal one works as good or better than the external routed to the windshield above the mirror. I was going to install without the external to try it out, but if you have a differing opinion then I'll reconsider.
I use the internal mic. Voice quality is deemed good by my wife. I even gave a recorded statement to my insurance company over a little accident back in December using it. Insurance guy said I sounded fine as well.

I think the key is speaking in a normal volume and not letting your subconscious speak louder because it thinks you need to.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 05:06 PM   #252
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I use the internal mic. Voice quality is deemed good by my wife. I even gave a recorded statement to my insurance company over a little accident back in December using it. Insurance guy said I sounded fine as well.

I think the key is speaking in a normal volume and not letting your subconscious speak louder because it thinks you need to.
I installed the Dynavin HU today. The install went well and it functions, but i have a few issues i need help with.

1. The gain from HU seems really high - at volume level 3 music is fairly loud. There is also a hissing noise that comes through the speakers regardless of which sound mode i'm in. The hissing doesn't get louder with increased volume, so when it is turned up the hissing is somewhat masked. At low volume it is horrible though. Doe anyone know anything about this?

2. The screen with warning not to watch while driving pops up on the screen even when i'm not driving and when i touch the screen to make it go away it will pop back up about 30 seconds later. I didn't connect the parking wire to ground. Is this why i see the screen or is it normal?

3. The unit won't power on when the key is out of the ignition (car doesn't need to be started). Is this normal?

4. Blue tooth buttons don't activate the blue tooth. Do they work for anyone else?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #253
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I installed the Dynavin HU today. The install went well and it functions, but i have a few issues i need help with.

1. The gain from HU seems really high - at volume level 3 music is fairly loud. There is also a hissing noise that comes through the speakers regardless of which sound mode i'm in. The hissing doesn't get louder with increased volume, so when it is turned up the hissing is somewhat masked. At low volume it is horrible though. Doe anyone know anything about this?

2. The screen with warning not to watch while driving pops up on the screen even when i'm not driving and when i touch the screen to make it go away it will pop back up about 30 seconds later. I didn't connect the parking wire to ground. Is this why i see the screen or is it normal?

3. The unit won't power on when the key is out of the ignition (car doesn't need to be started). Is this normal?

4. Blue tooth buttons don't activate the blue tooth. Do they work for anyone else?

OK, I have an update. The hissing noise only exists while in an EQ profile setting (rock, pop, jazz, etc.). Does this happen to anyone else?

I noticed a problem with my AUX inputs. Only one of the (L) and (R) inputs is working - the other completely dead. I even removed the unit and swapped wires around to test it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #254
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

If you started out with HI Fi

Aren't you running a more that 10 volt output into an amp the that was designed for a differential 5 volt input. Anybody using line converters on this thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 08:03 PM   #255
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Aren't you running a more that 10 volt output into an amp the that was designed for a differential 5 volt input. Anybody using line converters on this thing.
I'm using a JL XD600/6.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #256
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The spec sheet says 100mv to 4 volts on the Jl page

but I thought that one was suppose to take high level input signals
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #257
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
but I thought that one was suppose to take high level input signals
It does take high level signal w/o problem. I should probably look to use a LOC though as it is loud at volume setting 4.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #258
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

You do not use the input voltage switch on the 600/6 in the same position for a HiFi-coded hu output and a deck-power output. Flip the JLs input voltage switch.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #259
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

\

1) I believe this was already addressed by VP, however know that you have a head unit with a pre-amp output you might want to consider running RCAs to the JL. I should take my own advice because I've yet to run RCAs to my JL as well. With the said even though I haven't ran RCAs my peak volume is somewhere around 13 to 18 depending on the playback material. I believe using RCAs will clear up some headroom. I did readjust the amp when I installed the Dynavin.

2) In the main menu, under settings, there is a radio button to watch video. I've never seen that warning however I did go ahead and ground the parking wire. I'd toggle that setting first and if not, slide the unit back out and and ground the parking wire to one of the two metal bolts and the bottom of the radio housing.

3) The unit shouldn't power on with the key out of the ignition, the factory radio didn't either. When you get in the car you insert key, radio will come on. When you get out of the car you can stop the engine and remove key. The radio will stay on until you open the door. My unit works exactly as my factory radio did.

4) The "phone" button on my steering wheel also does NOT put the Dynavin into bluetooth mode, however if someone calls me it will answer and hang-up the call. Sadly bluetooth mode is in sort of a quirky state with the Dynavin and I believe some of the problems are just oversights or perhaps not a high priortization in design that with demand will lead to a firmware change. The unit seems to have 3 modes. Media playback, Navigation/WinCE playback and bluetooth. Bluetooth needs to NOT be this 3rd level but rather part of the media playback so that when you switch to NAVI (which should just be a video toggle) bluetooth audio can be retained.

5) As for your EQ question, I couldn't tell you. I never ever ever ever put any listening device to preset EQ curves. So I don't know if my unit does it or not.

6) Keep in mind this unit is effectly two pieces of equipment in one chassis. It's sort of confusing at first but once you understand it, it allows you to manipulate it to your liking (absent some bluetooth limitations I mentioned above). There is a media playback side and a navigation/WinCE side. The USB, SD and other inputs for the navigation side cannot be seen by the media playback side and vice versa. The reason being is that some people like to run windows patches on the WinCE side utilizing different media players and such. People have added software that makes the system look like iDrive as well as used applications like WinAMP for media playback. The downside to this with the newer units is that the steering wheel controls do NOT carry over to the WinCE side, for me that's a deal breaker. Anyway, just remember that there are two sides to the Dynavin. The Navigation button essentially works as a video toggle that toggles the video between the two sides, however audio from the navigation side can override the media side. This is how and why the voice-guided navigation can stop or mute media playback to give you directions.

Last edited by scubasteve2365; 03-05-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #260
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You do not use the input voltage switch on the 600/6 in the same position for a HiFi-coded hu output and a deck-power output. Flip the JLs input voltage switch.
VP, I don't know what switch you are referring to. All I know of on the JL XD600/6 is the input gain levels, but mine are all the way down.

Just like scubasteve referred to I was wondering if I should tap the speaker lines into the RCA outs, thus bypassing the HU signals.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #261
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
\

3) The unit shouldn't power on with the key out of the ignition, the factory radio didn't either. When you get in the car you insert key, radio will come on. When you get out of the car you can stop the engine and remove key. The radio will stay on until you open the door. My unit works exactly as my factory radio did.
Thanks scubasteve.

My factory HU would operate without a key in the ignition. I could get into the car and just push the volume knob power at any time. I just want to be sure that this is normal and not a possible result of the location I chose to connect 12V to the fusebox.

I am thinking that my unit might be defective since one of the AUX RCA in lines is not working. I can't think of anything else that would cause it to be this way since I verified connection and signal at the "dead" connection

Last edited by pkirk; 03-06-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #262
pkirk
Private First Class
Rep

Something else I've experienced is that after the car has been shut down for a short time and the dynavin is powered off it appears to completely restart upon starting my car the next time.

When I start my car the unit doesn't automatically turn on. I press the power button to start it up and after the boot cycle it lands in radio mode with volume all the way up. Any settings I established are erased (radio buttons and clock) - it's like a complete reset.

Should the unit power up automatically when starting the car if it was left powered on when the car was last shut down? It does if I restart the car within about 10 minutes, but any longer it is completely reset. Any ideas?

Last edited by pkirk; 03-06-2011 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #263
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Now that I found out you can change the nav software I'm actually considering buying this does anyone have any pictures with this unit running a different software. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #264
scubasteve2365
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Something else I've experienced is that after the car has been shut down for a short time and the dynavin is powered off it appears to completely restart upon starting my car the next time.

When I start my car the unit doesn't automatically turn on. I press the power button to start it up and after the boot cycle it lands in radio mode with volume all the way up. Any settings I established are erased (radio buttons and clock) - it's like a complete reset.

Should the unit power up automatically when starting the car if it was left powered on when the car was last shut down? It does if I restart the car within about 10 minutes, but any longer it is completely reset. Any ideas?
You're 12volt connection isn't getting a constant 12V. If you followed the fuse tap recommendation in the caraudiocraze instructions then it could be wrong. For my vehicle that location also did not work and I had a radio that reset itself after every drive. I guess the e90 that caraudiocraze used must've had a different feature package that provided a constant 12V there.

I ended up using the location referenced in the Dynavin manual and it works. I purchased one of the "add-a-circuit" fusetaps from AutoZone.

When you get the correct 12V source the radio will automatically power up with the key and will retain it's clock and other settings.
Appreciate 0