E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > How to recognize a good driver

10-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

How to recognize a good driver

Made Jalopnik's AOTD - #7

http://jalopnik.com/5947854/how-to-r...-a-good-driver

What do you think of their list?

Here's my original submission:

"Uses the passing lane for passing, doesn't impede others' progress (uses brakes and throttle courteously), isn't overly polite (at a four-way stop, for example), uses blinkers, both hands on the wheel, checks mirrors often (and blindspot when changing lanes), doesn't follow other cars too closely or cut others off, considerate to bicyclists and pedestrians..."
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
daixloxbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Corvette Grand Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
Made Jalopnik's AOTD - #7

http://jalopnik.com/5947854/how-to-r...-a-good-driver

What do you think of their list?

Here's my original submission:

"Uses the passing lane for passing, doesn't impede others' progress (uses brakes and throttle courteously), isn't overly polite (at a four-way stop, for example), uses blinkers, both hands on the wheel, checks mirrors often (and blindspot when changing lanes), doesn't follow other cars too closely or cut others off, considerate to bicyclists and pedestrians..."
I could not agree more. I have bitched to my wife about most of the items on this list when I notice other motorists doing these things.

Love the one about being overly polite. People think they are doing a greater good by letting other motorists pass/merge but what they are really doing is holding up an entire lane of cars for just one car. The amount of time that is lost for an entire lane of cars to slow down and then accelerate back up to speed is exponentially greater than the time that one car could potentially wait for an opening.

Also, I love the one about proper seating position. I get a lot of shit from my friends about how "close" I sit to the steering wheel, when in fact it the textbook seating position for someone my height and I am at perfect distance from all the primary controls. I just don't sit like a thug, with the seat tilted all the way back into the backseat like the rest of my friends. I tell them all the time that my aggressive driving style requires that I sit properly and they counter by saying they can drive as well as me with their head behind the B pillar hahaha!

Lastly, a personal pet peeve of mine is the left foot brakers. The folks who drive with their brake lights flashing randomly for no reason, even though they are actually accelerating. Or when they brake so gently that they are not actually decelerating at all but their brake lights are on. They just keep their foot hovering on top of the brake pedal, just enough to turn on the brake lights but not enough to actually slow the car down in any way. Why do that???

And don't even get me started on the talking/texting on the phone...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
flyinb501
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

My biggest pet peeve is slow driver in the left lane, especially when they match the pace to the drivers in the lanes to the right of them, essentially blocking off the entire freeway. You'd think they would get it when they see traffic everywhere behind them, and a clear road for a mile ahead of them. Idiots...
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
My biggest pet peeve is slow driver in the left lane, especially when they match the pace to the drivers in the lanes to the right of them, essentially blocking off the entire freeway. You'd think they would get it when they see traffic everywhere behind them, and a clear road for a mile ahead of them. Idiots...
+100. This infuriates me!

Many times, what appears alot of traffic volume is actually a douchebag sleeping in the left lane. They are so caught up in their own world they don't have the slightest clue what's going on around them. I don't hesitate to turn my highbeams on and follow them for a while, until they wake up. Noone should have to use the right lane to pass
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

I completely disagree with this one -

8.) They flash after a hidden cop

Suggested By: hollatchaboy

Why it says: You have to be fairly attentive to see someone speeding towards a hidden cop, and then flash your high beams to let them know what's up. Being aware of what around you, and caring about others on the road are all signs of a good driver.

---------

You're encouraging reckless driving habits (speeding) by doing this.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
E92TTKING
Colonel
Greece
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post

Why it says: You have to be fairly attentive to see someone speeding towards a hidden cop, and then flash your high beams to let them know what's up. Being aware of what around you, and caring about others on the road are all signs of a good driver.

---------

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post

---------

Disagree. I warn people and appreciate people warning me of speed traps.

Where I live, speed enforcement is usually during a nice sunny day. The time where the speed limit should be increased, when it is safest to do so. I almost never see speed enforcement during rain or snow storms, where exceeding or driving at the limit could be dangerous.

IMO, speeding ticket = speed tax. Government's excuse of collecting revenue. If they care about safety, cop should be parked in plain sight with lights flashing. Much more effective way of slowing traffic.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
my list is shorter - either be a good lead for me on the highway or get out of my way.
      10-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
uniter
Black on Black on Black.
Rep
Drives: 335i/6mt Sport,Nav,Prem.

A good driver will not only have bug splatter on their bumper, hood and front windshield but also on both of their side windows.

LEMANS BLUE M-TECH E92->PROCEDE REV3::BIEHNTUNE FLASH::ETS 7" FMIC::RACELAND DPS::OS GIKEN 1.5 WAY::DEFIV DIFF LOCKDOWN::DEFIV OCC::DEFIV INTAKE::RB PCV
Appreciate 0