E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Change nav in iDrive...

02-26-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
cereal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Change nav in iDrive...

Hi everyone,

I'm originally from Australia, but have been posted to Tokyo for a couple of years for work. I'm looking at a new 335i at the moment and have a question about iDrive that no one seems to be able to answer...

The nav in Japanese BMWs won't work in Australia. Apparently the countries use completely incompatible systems.

Is there any way I can change the Japanese nav unit over to an Australian nav when I take the car back home with me? It seems to be simple in a Merc or Audi, you just rip the unit out and replace it with an Australian head unit, but iDrive is integrated into the dash/centre console...

I would prefer to not have to replace the whole iDrive system, just the nav part (if at all possible)...

Hope this post makes sense... It's getting late here and I'm tired!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
am_ver
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6

are u sure u don't just need an Ozzie DVD?

2008 e93 335i, 6sp MT, Montego Blue, Saddle, Burl, ZSP, Bluetooth, iDrive, PDC, V1+CD
2007 e92 335i coupe, 6sp MT, Montego, Beige, ZPP, iDrive, PDC
2006 e90 325i, ZPP, iDrive, Arctic, Xenon
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
cereal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Yeah, unfortunately Japan uses a completely incompatible system (or Australia does, depending on the way you look at it).

I think it would be fine if I was bringing a car back from Europe or the US (aside from the obvious left/right hand drive problems), but Japan has a completely different GPS unit...
Appreciate 0