E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Ack..i feel bad

07-19-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ack..i feel bad

Well when i applied to Hofstra, i thought the tuition was a little lower than what it actually is. And lets just say, its very expensive. Now i feel bad for my parents having to shell out all this money for me to go away. I should have just stayed here in california and went to a public school. Should i feel guilty or what??! Maybe i should only do 1 semester to help them out. Ah!
      07-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
**** Your Ad Here - Excellent Rates, Pm For Details *****
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 06:32 PM   #3
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

just find time to work and help them out (you probably already are)

an out of state education can easily cost 5X vs a state school, but for the right education it's worth it

give Hofstra a shot and if you think it's worth it stay there, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to live somewhere completely foreign to you!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

That's why I went to Florida. I could have got two 330is with the money I saved them.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You need to go. No sense in feeling bad....they are your parents! You have helped them out at the restaurant...you could have easily gone elsewhere for a job. Go to school...but do not fook around...as you know its your parents money on the line. If you like it...finish. If it sucks...then just come back and stop wasting their money.

Once you are done with your education...and get your career going, you will be able to help them out again/repay them for their sacrifices. You are an investment to them. Just do not let them down by crapping around with BS classes and partying the whole time. Get yo shit done!

07-19-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Jay_328
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 07 e92

Garage List
07 E92 328  [0.00]
Things like that will make you feel guilty. But it's a normal reaction from someone who has compassion for their parents. Getting a car and obtaining a degree is in totally different league but I felt a bit strange when I got my first car (could've been cheaper ) but anyway I felt that way for a second or two. It just shows you're a good daughter. That being said, remember your education comes first and your social life (parties, hanging out) comes second. (but you gotta have a little fun) Make sure their hard earned money is a great investment in your future. Also it's always good to venture out and have varied experiences. You'll meet new people on the East Coast and perhaps later when/ if you return to Cali those connections will be of service to you. I think you'll enjoy yourself. Are you staying on grounds? If so I hope your roomie isn't an a$$ like mine turned out to be. Congrats on your college addmission and Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
Explorer3253
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 f32

How much is Hofstra nowadays...I know Pace U went from me starting at 26k a year back in 2000 including dorming to 42k including dorming now...
      07-19-2006, 11:33 PM   #8
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Thanks for the responses guys.

My dad wanted me to stay in Cali so we didnt have to pay out of state fees, but since Hofstra is private- there is no out/in state prices. Its all fixed. Anyway Hofstra is about $15K a semster. Im recieving some financial aid and $3,200 in work study money. Its expensive.

I appreciate the response Jay. Im the only girl and the baby in my family, i tend to be a little more sensitive with my parents than my brothers are. They pick up and go whenever they want. Whereas, i always make sure someone can cover my shifts at our restaurant ..etc.

Ive talked to 2 of my 3 roommates. One girl is 21, from FL, spunky, outgoing, likes to party, kinda sounds like a cheerleader. The other is from NH, shes my actual roommate. Shes pretty laid back, simple, i had to start up the convos.. but that should be cool esp since i nee dto focus on school.
      07-19-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
whats Hofstra?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #10
magmd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Bella, remember that you are going there not just to pursue an education/career.

But, its also an opportunity to be away from your family. You can't put a price tag on that experience...you will definitely not be the same person after leaving SD for awhile. I know your parents do not want you to be far....but you need to experience life away from the parents for awhile. Its different...its worth exploring. And although you are not the typical out of high school freshman type going away to college....it is still a good change, one that will help you discover several things about life, yourself, and what really matters to you.

But, enough about that......let's have a fun going away party!
      07-20-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
btw how old are u bella? did u go CC first? or what? I've never heard of that school... but then again there are thousands of colleges in the US and if thats a specific school with some type of "special" program I guess it would be less known.

my parents are sending me to school w/o relying on financial aid or any school financing crap... and i guess i'm lucky and all i can really do is hope for the best, work my ass off, stay clean, and make em proud. I suggest you do the same because I'm sure that your parents want the best for you even if it might be a little more money that expected. just work hard or dont f' up too badly

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz
btw how old are u bella? did u go CC first? or what? I've never heard of that school... but then again there are thousands of colleges in the US and if thats a specific school with some type of "special" program I guess it would be less known.

my parents are sending me to school w/o relying on financial aid or any school financing crap... and i guess i'm lucky and all i can really do is hope for the best, work my ass off, stay clean, and make em proud. I suggest you do the same because I'm sure that your parents want the best for you even if it might be a little more money that expected. just work hard or dont f' up too badly
im 22, and yes i was going to a CC for quite a few years
      07-20-2006, 02:31 AM   #13
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
nice... well hopefully it works out. i'm trying to transfer to UCSD for undergrad or gradd

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 03:27 AM   #14
KennyVendetta
Salsero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 Crimson Red

haha...I agree with a lot of the viewpoints in here...

-It is extremely important to get away from your parents and live on your own. You will grow so much as a person and be better off.

-Stay focused in school...

-As a Resident Assistant at college I learned one thing real quick. Long distance relationships do not work. Sorry if that hurts anyone's feeling in here.

-Stay focused in school (again), set long term goals and have a blast. College is an amazing experience if know how to balance school, parties, fitness, etc...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 04:02 AM   #15
Dleo
Brigadier General
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

Hofstra is actually a great school, its in line with other NY school's like St. Johns, Hunter, C.W Post. I think Hofstra would most likely be the wiser choice anyways, the other schools are very very expensive. And living in NY thats an experience all in its self!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #16
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Do you know what you're studying yet?

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #17
MG_2006325i_KG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Alpine White

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
there is always SDCC
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 10:31 AM   #18
gdnyc
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi Jet Black

From when I went to Hofstra, there were always local companies looking for Hofstra students on a part time basis. They pay pretty well. You could always ask the job placement center (or whatever it was called) for a good high paying job in the area.

BMW, please get rid of the RFT's and give us a spare tire!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #19
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
If you're going to move to NY and spend the big bucks, why don't you at least attend a university with national recognition? Columbia for instance. I just hired a Columbia graduate. Very sharp girl.
You have to have outstanding academic history, achievements, among other stellar accomplishments to get into Columbia or any Ivy League institution, for that matter It's pretty competitive. Not to say that Bella isn't competitive. She did, after all, win Ms. E90Post!

Hey, Bella - a quiet roomate is actually better than a hardy-party roomate. You'll get more studying done but obviously it is fun to hang out with an outgoing roomate like the party chick.

$15k/semester with $3k in work-study?! That's a whopping $27k/year! When I finished UCSD in 3.66 years I came out with a total of just $14k in student loans --- partially because California is one of the most education-friendly states (giving free money away like Cal-Grants).
      07-20-2006, 11:53 AM   #20
flush01
Major
Rep
Drives: 33m@%#ing5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Thanks for the responses guys.

My dad wanted me to stay in Cali so we didnt have to pay out of state fees, but since Hofstra is private- there is no out/in state prices. Its all fixed. Anyway Hofstra is about $15K a semster. Im recieving some financial aid and $3,200 in work study money. Its expensive.

I appreciate the response Jay. Im the only girl and the baby in my family, i tend to be a little more sensitive with my parents than my brothers are. They pick up and go whenever they want. Whereas, i always make sure someone can cover my shifts at our restaurant ..etc.

Ive talked to 2 of my 3 roommates. One girl is 21, from FL, spunky, outgoing, likes to party, kinda sounds like a cheerleader. The other is from NH, shes my actual roommate. Shes pretty laid back, simple, i had to start up the convos.. but that should be cool esp since i nee dto focus on school.
15k/semester ? woaaaaa ... thats like 30-40/year... you are lucky, because my parents couldn't even give me 3k/semester five years ago (and what a waist of time that was)... but dont feel bad, they are your parents not some people on the street, i'm sure it makes them happy to help their daughter and see you grow..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #21
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
Well when i applied to Hofstra, i thought the tuition was a little lower than what it actually is. And lets just say, its very expensive. Now i feel bad for my parents having to shell out all this money for me to go away. I should have just stayed here in california and went to a public school. Should i feel guilty or what??! Maybe i should only do 1 semester to help them out. Ah!
Have you consider taking out a student loan for all or part of the tuition? That's what I had to do since my parents didn't care to save any money for me to go to college or probably didn't expect me to have the potential to go to college. Fortunately, I went to a UC so the tuition was only moderately pricey but not Harvard pricey. If you do indeed feel guilty, then taking loan to pay part of it will be a good gesture
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #22
Juve29
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 325i titanium silver spk

Life experience is just as important as an education. You'll be able to experience four season. Summer , Fall, Winter and Spring. Believe me winter sucks.

Try it out for a year, if you feel that it's too expensive for what it brings you then move back to California. You can always look back on that experience.

It's nice to know that you appreciate what your parents give you.

I went away to study in another city (not as far away as you) and I loved the experience. Actually I believe that it kept me more focused on my studies.