E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Is the lease calculation CA's use an estimate?

12-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
aitsu
Mmmmm.. torque....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Imola Red F80 M3

Is the lease calculation CA's use an estimate?

I'm about to place an order on a 2010 E92. I've negotiated everything down to where it belongs, but the numbers that the dealer is giving me for a lease don't add up.

Every BMW dealer I've been to in the last 3 years has used this same system to run their calculations. It looks like a mainframe terminal system, and hell, my CA keeps accidentally sending me emails in all caps, so I'm sure it is something of the sort.

He faxed me a copy of the screen with all the numbers filled in and a monthly payment in the bottom right. All of the numbers filled in are correct and what we agreed on, yet the monthly payment comes out between $75 and $90 higher than online calculators. My sister ran into this exact same problem when she picked up here 328i last week and she ended up getting the payment she expected within $4.

So is this normal?

Thanks,
aitsu
2010 Le Mans Blue E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Cosa Nostra
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Thumbs up Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aitsu View Post
I'm about to place an order on a 2010 E92. I've negotiated everything down to where it belongs, but the numbers that the dealer is giving me for a lease don't add up.

Every BMW dealer I've been to in the last 3 years has used this same system to run their calculations. It looks like a mainframe terminal system, and hell, my CA keeps accidentally sending me emails in all caps, so I'm sure it is something of the sort.

He faxed me a copy of the screen with all the numbers filled in and a monthly payment in the bottom right. All of the numbers filled in are correct and what we agreed on, yet the monthly payment comes out between $75 and $90 higher than online calculators. My sister ran into this exact same problem when she picked up here 328i last week and she ended up getting the payment she expected within $4.

So is this normal?

Thanks,
aitsu
Not normal at all! There's definitely a problem. I have used my own lease calculator (I designed) and it always agrees within a few cents to that of BMW Canada's calculations. If u send me the calcs, I'd be more than happy to run it for u. Perhaps there are extra upfront hidden costs being thrown into the lease w/o your knowledge (e.g., dealers love to have u pay for vehicle etching, admin fees, etc. even though this doesn't benefit u one bit). Stick w your numbers and have them explain why there is a difference - rest assured they can and will if pressed.

Regards,
Greg
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
aitsu
Mmmmm.. torque....
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg007 View Post
Not normal at all! There's definitely a problem. I have used my own lease calculator (I designed) and it always agrees within a few cents to that of BMW Canada's calculations. If u send me the calcs, I'd be more than happy to run it for u. Perhaps there are extra upfront hidden costs being thrown into the lease w/o your knowledge (e.g., dealers love to have u pay for vehicle etching, admin fees, etc. even though this doesn't benefit u one bit). Stick w your numbers and have them explain why there is a difference - rest assured they can and will if pressed.

Regards,
Greg
I've sent you a PM.
There's only 1 fee on here like that and it's a $100 document fee, which I'll gladly ignore considering the deal I've got is $480 over invoice WITH it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
aitsu
Mmmmm.. torque....
United_States
Rep

I think I finally figured out what is going on....
I live in texas.. and texas laws are obnoxious. We end up paying the full sales tax on the vehicle even when we lease a car. Well, technically the lessor is responsible for that, but they always pass it to the consumer.
If we buy the car at the end of the lease, we get a credit for the sales tax paid.

http://www.leaseguide.com/Articles/texas-auto-lease.htm

If I add in the sales tax to the price of the car, it's about accurate in the calculation. I guess I could pay this up front and get the payment I'm looking for.. Texas sucks.. but my home state of IL has similar painful laws.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

Yup, when I read your initial post I looked to see where you lived.

Texas isn't the only state that does this. MD, IL, VA, WV, IL and maybe more.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
aitsu
Mmmmm.. torque....
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
Yup, when I read your initial post I looked to see where you lived.

Texas isn't the only state that does this. MD, IL, VA, WV, IL and maybe more.
Yea, there's 3 or 4 that I know of. It sucks, but that's just how it works out.
Damn state taxes. The only other state I could have the car titled in (IL) would work out worse as they have more BS taxes on vehicles.
Appreciate 0