E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > if you need fender rolling ( DE, MD area )

12-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
gk116
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

if you need fender rolling ( DE, MD area )

I just want to recommend HyperM3 to anyone in or around the NJ area that needs fender rolling done. Alex just did mine today and they turned out great. He has done plenty of cars, has a lot of experience and you can tell.

I am sure a bunch of you already know him, but I just wanted to share my good experience. I would highly recommend him. He did the rear fenders in less than an hour and he was super nice. I drove up from MD and it was worth the trip for sure.

If you need your fenders rolled and you are anywhere near NJ, DE, northern MD, eastern PA, don't hesitate to take your car to HyperM3.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 02:06 AM   #2
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Have any pictures of the fenders rolled? Was he able to get all the glue out of the fenders and roll them flat? I've heard that's a PITA to do on our cars.
      12-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
gk116
United_States
Rep

I will take a couple pics and post them. I wasn't going for the completely flat fender roll. I didn't need that much clearance and didn't want to get that aggressive with the roll. So mine still has the glue behind the lip and he basically rolled it up tight with it still back there.

It leaves that 1/4" flat spot at the bottom of the fender and the rest of the lip is rolled out of the way. You are right though, the only way to get it completely flat, would be to remove the glue first. I just saw too many horror stories of examples of how it can go really bad when trying to get that aggressive with it and thankfully I didn't need that much clearance.

Something to keep in mind though,.. Alex was able to do a slight pull along with the roll so it ends up freeing up more room than you think. And honestly, there is a little bit of an art to fender rolling which Alex clearly has a handle on. The slight pull looks so natural, it's basically not even noticeable. When he finished one side, I had to look back and forth repeatedly in order to be able to pick up the difference visually.

I picked up a lot of room from the roll he did without removing the glue and with a slight pull. Alex is so good though, I would bet he could do the dead flat roll if you wanted. You would have to ask him directly though. I just didn't want to take the risk. The more aggressive you try to get, the greater the chance of needing a high dollar repair to your fender.

I am thrilled with the amount of clearance I picked up. I am on M-Sport suspension and have 19" wheels that measure 11" wide ( edge to edge ) in the rear. ( I am not sure of the offset but the techs at the BMW dealer told me they were legit M3 wheels on my car ) I have 275's on them with a 12mm spacer. Before the roll, I was getting rubbing over every little bump with the 275's and 12 mm spacer. I had to remove the spacer just to be able to drive the car without destroying the tire or fender. Now,.. I could probably go up to a 15mm or 18mm spacer if I really wanted too. No rubbing whatsoever on the 12mm, and still have room to spare.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #4
gk116
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics,.. the shots that show the lip from underneath are misleading because of how close the camera is to the lip. The lip looks bigger than it actually is in these pics. I measured it, and it is 1/4" - 5/16" all the way around.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
Have any pictures of the fenders rolled? Was he able to get all the glue out of the fenders and roll them flat? I've heard that's a PITA to do on our cars.
There is no "glue" on E9x like there is on E46. We just have a very thick, double-sheet metal construction which is impossible to roll completely flat. You will always be left with the 1/4" thick lip. A slight/natural pull is the best we can get, as pictured above.
      12-11-2015, 02:37 AM   #6
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
There is no "glue" on E9x like there is on E46. We just have a very thick, double-sheet metal construction which is impossible to roll completely flat. You will always be left with the 1/4" thick lip. A slight/natural pull is the best we can get, as pictured above.
The fuck there isn't any glue..... maybe there's not as much as the E46, but there's definitely glue in there. I have my fenders "rolled" but the guy that rolled them basically did what OP had done because he said it's a PITA to get the glue out. I've seen the glue inside our fenders. If you have not, I suggest you take a closer look. Next time I'm under my car I'll be sure to take a picture for you. Only reason I inquired about the service is because I'm looking to have mine rolled more aggressively, which would entail removing the glue and rolling them flat. I'm pretty low, I tuck tire in the rear. I used to have factory sizes 255/35R18 with 15mm spacers in the rear. I wanted a wider tire so I went with a 295/35R18 but in order to fit that, I had to remove the 15mm spacer. It doesn't rub at all, but I'd like to put my spacer back on, which would require a more aggressive roll/pull.
      12-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
gk116
United_States
Rep

So I thought the same thing originally, I didn't think there was any glue/sealant behind my fender lips. What I discovered was, when I felt behind the lip toward the front of the car, I couldn't feel anything. It just felt like it was all metal back there so if there was anything there, it was basically not detectable.

When I felt behind the lips toward the rear of the car getting close to where the fender meets the rear bumper, there was DEFINITELY a considerable amount of glue/sealant behind there. It was identical on both sides too.

It didn't end up making a difference in the end though due to what PSUSMU said above. The fender metal composition is so thick, I can see how it would be hard if not impossible to get it to roll completely flat. In the area of my fender lip where there was no glue, it was only able to be rolled slightly better than the area where there was glue. You really can't even see it with your eyes, but you can feel the slight difference with your fingers.

I feel like the solution I ended up with is a great option. A conservative roll coupled with a slight pull that the un-trained eye will never notice. I was able to get all the clearance I need without having to worry about pushing it toward the edge too much and risking damage to the fender.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
The fuck there isn't any glue..... maybe there's not as much as the E46, but there's definitely glue in there. I have my fenders "rolled" but the guy that rolled them basically did what OP had done because he said it's a PITA to get the glue out. I've seen the glue inside our fenders. If you have not, I suggest you take a closer look. Next time I'm under my car I'll be sure to take a picture for you. Only reason I inquired about the service is because I'm looking to have mine rolled more aggressively, which would entail removing the glue and rolling them flat. I'm pretty low, I tuck tire in the rear. I used to have factory sizes 255/35R18 with 15mm spacers in the rear. I wanted a wider tire so I went with a 295/35R18 but in order to fit that, I had to remove the 15mm spacer. It doesn't rub at all, but I'd like to put my spacer back on, which would require a more aggressive roll/pull.
I've rolled over 100 cars and ~10 different makes - I'm just saying, no fenders compare to the glue in E46 fenders.