Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > My VMR VB3s are ruined

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #67
digi19
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 SSII E92 M3

almost like it bleached the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #68
Kriston
The Ultimate Driving Machine
Canada
Rep
Drives: Like Donkey Kong on Roids

Believe it or not this is a common occurrence, It has happened to me as well. Its a milky looking stain. Its because of the acidity in the wheel cleaner. Quite a few drive thru car washes use harsh acid based chemicals for wheels. This is the outcome! Im sorry but you will have to refinish the wheels since its a textured finish. If it was a polish (in my case it was) you can polish it out.

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #69
shoes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BSM E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Titto View Post
I was looking at the bolts this morning to see if they were stained. I believe it's only the locking bolt because the other bolts have always looked faded. I'll try to find some time and get one off to clean it, but it might have to wait for tomorrow. One thing to note is P21S wanted me to try putting the wheel cleaner on one of the wheels and try scrubbing it to see if the stain comes out. It didn't do anything.

The reason the whole wheel was not stained was that the whole wheel did not get sprayed. I was using a stream instead of a "mist" which caused it not to cover the whole wheel.

I also tried spraying a spot that did not have a stain, scrub it right away, and rinse it. This did not cause that spot to get stained which leads me to believe that you can not leave it on for that long and the ambient temperature might have a big deal to do with this. When they got stained the wheels were cool because I hadn't driven the car all day, it was sitting in the garage because I carpool. I only let the wheel cleaner sit for 15-20 minutes and I know they were still wet because it was still dripping on my garage floor.

P21S is sending me a bottle to return a sample and also a polishing agent to see if it removes the stain. I'll let you guys know how that goes.
Generally, polishing a matte finish is a bad idea unless you want to make it glossy. It might mess up the texture of the wheels too. I can't imagine it would restore the color of your finish...
I guess at this point it doesn't really matter though - might as well try it.

At least it's nice to see they're working with you.
I'm intrigued. Keep us updated.
      07-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #70
UltraRacer13
Wannabe Track Rat
British Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: 17 OG M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriston View Post
Believe it or not this is a common occurrence, It has happened to me as well. Its a milky looking stain. Its because of the acidity in the wheel cleaner. Quite a few drive thru car washes use harsh acid based chemicals for wheels. This is the outcome! Im sorry but you will have to refinish the wheels since its a textured finish. If it was a polish (in my case it was) you can polish it out.

My Cars like Chuck Norris on Wheels
Why do your cars like chuck norris?? Are they gay cars? Maybe you meant to write, "My car is like chuck norris on wheels", or My car's like chuck norris on wheels".
      07-20-2010, 08:09 AM   #71
Rice&Pumkin
LionLungz
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & 450H

Just have them epoxy painted.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 07:53 AM   #72
e90ben
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: No more Beemer

Any new updates?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #73
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Wow. This is why I only use soap on my rims and just scrub with a cloth. Not worth using all these powerful chemicals. Hopefully you got them fixed
      03-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #74
dtea604
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 325i

Damm man thats some intense damage. I honestly use not even joking baby shampoo with water stuff works great
VMR VB3 // Mtec v4 AE //Nokya 7000k // M-tec LED plate lights // OEM blacklines // 20% window tint // Cyba air scoops // K&N + charcoal filter delete // BMS Powerbox // front splitters // Hamann front lip// M-tech trunk lip // Magnaflow custom // ER SS brakelines // KW V1's // RS tecknik spacers // H&R spacers
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:07 AM   #75
FL335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I just stumbled upon this thread. What happened? What was the final response from P21s?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #76
Momukhamo
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

damn man sorry to hear that

but try to find a local shop who can powdercoat your wheels.

here in long island, queens area there's a lot of tire/wheels shop who does powdercoating nowadays..

hmm the only good thing about this is you can pic a new color hehe..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #77
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post

here in long island, queens area there's a lot of tire/wheels shop who does powdercoating nowadays..

The original post is 4 years old. I'd be surprised if the OP still had the car, let alone the wheels. Although if he did I'd be curious to see how he solved the issue.
      09-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #78
Momukhamo
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momukhamo View Post

The original post is 4 years old. I'd be surprised if the OP still had the car, let alone the wheels. Although if he did I'd be curious to see how he solved the issue.
Oops didnt even realize that lol
Appreciate 0