E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Base Stereo Upgrade 2011 335d

06-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Base Stereo Upgrade 2011 335d

I can't PM as I am a new member here. I usually frequent bimmerfest.

Anyway I bought my MY 2011 335d (May 2010 build) without first looking into the stereo issue. Ugggh was I disappointed. My e46 was so much better, even with the top down. I have Base Stereo, NAV, Bluetooth, SAT. I have the USB/AUX in iPhone/iPod cable attachment in my glove box.

Anyway I am trying to reach technic and VP electricity primarily but I can't PM until I make 5 posts.

After reading all of the various posts on this issue (thanks for the sticky) and knowing my personal preference I want to do the following and need to figure out where to source the products:

1. Up front: DLS X Program X-SC42 (currently out of stock at sonicelectronix). Anybody got a suggestion of where else to order from or a recommendation on a similar priced and equal or better component speaker that will fit? (price $150)

I've heard of a 210.25 but haven't found anywhere that sells it nor much more information. Anybody chime in on these as far as cost and comparison?

2. Underneath: Jehnert 8" (I believe model #XE-200, $300-$400??). Decided against the Earthquakes as I don't like a whole lot of bass and I don't listen to rap.

3. JL Audio XD600/6 to power the whole thing. This is about the only thing I could find online ($400) I want to power the rear speakers as well from the amp. I know I know, just a personal preference. I'll replace the rear speakers eventually, probably just like the front and add tweeters back there as well.

4. Wiring Harness to tie this all together without any splicing.

5. I'll be having my stereo reprogrammed to Hi-Fi per all the posts. Again just a preference based on others experiences.

Anything glaringly wrong with this setup?

Thanks,
Jim
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Nothing wrong at all.

If you contact Ken at MusicarNW, you get get most of that from him, with factory connectors pre-installed, cross-overs & amp pre-set, with the required rings for the Jehnerts to fit in the underseat enclosures - completely plug & play.

Best to email him, as I don't know how much he frequents the boards here.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
sohcpunk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Why not get Vibe Slick 4's for cheap to fill the rears.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Because rear speakers are a Commie plot?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh boy. I think I'm in over my head trying to unwrap all of this stuff. I thought I had it figured out but maybe I don't.

What are your thoughts on the following setup instead:

JBL MS-8 (no reprogramming of the HU) ($500)

Jehnert Flat-Line system (comes with 4" fronts and tweeters and 8" woofer with BMW mounts in place so they drop right in). See http://www.jehnert.de/2011/09/28/bmw...unting-places/
Had to brush up on my french to order these from a french company for around $650 with shipping. Luckily the Euro is in the hole right now.

I may or may not want to add a center channel but I can play around with that later to see if I like it. Figured I could at least use the shitty stock speaker to test it out and if I like it at all add a better speaker later on.

As I said above I'll probably upgrade the rear speakers and add tweeters back there later on.

My main concern and what I don't have figured out is the BT and chimes. I'm not so worried about the chimes but I am the BT. I want to make sure I can hear the calls. I drive quite a bit and talk in the car so this is fairly important for me.

I guess I don't understand how the sound from the BT is distributed to my speakers currently and how I can keep or improve the sound with a setup like this.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated on any or all of this

I should probably stop reading all the posts. It makes my head swim. I understand audio to a small degree but I am no expert.

Thanks again,
Jim

ps. Ken thanks for the call yesterday. I understand you not willing to sell individual parts as that cuts in to your profit. I run a business as well. I would have ordered the Jehnert 8" from you but I found out Jehnert has the flat line package with bmw factor mounts installed now and the price for the whole package was too good to pass up.

You should be commended for helping people out when lots of times it means no profit to your business, just good will. But I've found out in running my business my good will turns into sufficient profits, plus I get that good feeling I helped someone with something I am passionate about.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

if the Jehnert flatline package comes with 2 crossovers (i.e 2 channels) then it sounds like a good deal. i am planning to get the jehnert 8" so i cant disagree. if however it has 1 crossover (1 channel but unlikely) then dont get it.

If you want a good front stage for ALL passengers then you must add a centre channel. if you're not that bothered about passengers then the ms-8 does a brilliant job of creating a front stage for ONE seat position.

BT echo can be fixed by updating the ms-8 firmware online. only thing is that u have to press mute on the ms-8 remote whenever you get a call.

by the way, the ms-8 is really good, but only after you spend quite a while tuning it up!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

however i do think you can get better mid range and tweeters than the jehnert ones. have a look at morels. they sound wonderful
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #8
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to keep this as close to $1000 as possible. The jehnert package seemed like a great deal at that price. Plus it looks plug and play as its made specific for BMW and it advertises as keeping BMW optics, which i assumed meant the wiring. The catalog shows multiple crossovers in the system. Basically I was looking at $550 for just the 8" woofers originally. I was almost ready to bite that bullet and compromise on some cheaper component speakers. But then after searching online I saw the whole set for $650. So for $100 it seemed like a good risk. If they are shitty I don't lose much and can invest more later.

I'll definitely add a center channel as it seems I can do that for around $50.

I think I am making a good choice in replacing the jd 600 with the jbl ms-8 to start with. Only $100 more and it seems like it gets me the results I need now and the flexibility for more in the future should I need or want it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #9
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

That seems like a good deal and it's probably what I will do when I feel like upgrading my speakers.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #10
condez
Rep
Drives: 08 328i convert

jimmello... can you help me order Jehnert Flat-Line system.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
jimmelo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Pm me. Where in nc are you?
Appreciate 0