E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bluetooth Retrofit: E90 335i with iDrive, Phone prep, Voice control, and USB

04-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
lazd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Lazd,
You stated that you have 6FL, did you hook any cables to the USB hub?
I did not modify any wiring related to USB. My only wiring modifications are detailed above and pertain solely to the Bluetooth antenna and the microphone wires.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #24
gjimmy
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Thank you all very much for your help. I went over my paperwork and looked at all the options in my car and phone prep was not on the list. Satellite radio prep was. I have a feeling that the cable bundle in my trunk is for satellite and not phone prep.

A couple things have led me to this conclusion:
1. Phone prep SA640 is not on my list
2. I do not see black or yellow cables in the bundle at all.

This leads me to believe that a mic cable has not been run from the MULF2 unit to the glove box. I do have voice control which works but perhaps that does not run to the Mulf2, is that correct?

My car is a 08/2008 build MT2009 e90 335 but it seems it is not prewired for bluetooth. I am a bit bummed if that is indeed the case.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #25
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjimmy View Post
Thank you all very much for your help. I went over my paperwork and looked at all the options in my car and phone prep was not on the list. Satellite radio prep was. I have a feeling that the cable bundle in my trunk is for satellite and not phone prep.

A couple things have led me to this conclusion:
1. Phone prep SA640 is not on my list
2. I do not see black or yellow cables in the bundle at all.

This leads me to believe that a mic cable has not been run from the MULF2 unit to the glove box. I do have voice control which works but perhaps that does not run to the Mulf2, is that correct?

My car is a 08/2008 build MT2009 e90 335 but it seems it is not prewired for bluetooth. I am a bit bummed if that is indeed the case.
take out your MULF2 and the big blue connector. slide out the connector from the blue casing and check if you have any wiring at pins 1 and 19. these should be the black and yellow wires. If you see these wires, your mic is already wired up.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
Skuzzy335xi
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

I did this the other day and i do not have any wiring. all i have is on clear wire connected to the blue connector. Im interested to see if there are yellow and black wires on the connector behind the glove box. this would allow us to just run the yellow and black we need right back to the MULF2 from that connector. I plan to do this in a few weeks and will document the process for those without the Phone Prep. This also means there is no Antenna wire in the front stock BT antenna location. but as Snooze said you can just by the 15cm cable from ebay and leave it in the trunk. which is what i plan to do.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
gjimmy
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzy335xi View Post
I did this the other day and i do not have any wiring. all i have is on clear wire connected to the blue connector. Im interested to see if there are yellow and black wires on the connector behind the glove box. this would allow us to just run the yellow and black we need right back to the MULF2 from that connector. I plan to do this in a few weeks and will document the process for those without the Phone Prep. This also means there is no Antenna wire in the front stock BT antenna location. but as Snooze said you can just by the 15cm cable from ebay and leave it in the trunk. which is what i plan to do.
Please keep me updated as it sounds like we have the same setup. I have been through so many of these threads I lost track of which cable we would need for the antenna. Do you have a link or a part number?

Also curious about how painful it will be to run a cable from the Mulf2 to the glovebox…seems like a lot of trim will need to be removed. Maybe it isn't so bad.

Good luck and can't wait to hear how it goes.

grant
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #28
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The antenna cable is just regular smb cables. Search on eBay for smb female to smb female cables. You should be able to buy a 15 cm one for about 4 to 5 bucks. I bought the angled plugs one for 4.20. Straight or angled ones is your own preference.

Running the mic wire to glovebox will mean having to remove the door sill trims and globe box. The door sill trims are not easy to remove and put back and you risk breaking something. Since I had no existing mic wiring, I ran mine up the C pillar, over the roof, removed the A pillar trim to tuck the wire under the airbag and then to the mic location. I used about 5 meters of cable for this. Assuming that there's no difference with existing voice control and voice control after Bluetooth activation, this wiring may be easier and faster since only the A pillar trim needs to be removed and this is easily replaced as well. Of cos it will be best for you to test if this direct connection for the mic will work first before running the mic wire.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #29
pnickisson
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport

I am just about to do this install...the question I have is in relation to pin 21.....I have the wire in there...but does it connect to anything? or does it just hand loose so to speak?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
helava
Rep
Drives: 2010 Interlagos DCT Sedan

Hi - sorry to ask a completely stupid question, but I'm a new M3 owner and not an experienced DIY car guy, though I'm reasonably handy rewiring stuff. I'd love to do this retrofit to my car (a 2010 M3 sedan), but i'm not 100% sure I've got everything that's necessary. Got nav, voice control, but I'm not sure that I've got the other hardware that's necessary - my options list shows nothing under the TCU entry. Sounds like that might be a dealbreaker? Is there somewhere specific I can check? The OP lists a MULF in the trunk, but I have no idea where in the trunk... or what a MULF is. :P

<- noob.

Anyway - any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just need to know exactly what to look for on the car to know that this is possible.

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I *do* have the USB port in the center console.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #31
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helava View Post
Hi - sorry to ask a completely stupid question, but I'm a new M3 owner and not an experienced DIY car guy, though I'm reasonably handy rewiring stuff. I'd love to do this retrofit to my car (a 2010 M3 sedan), but i'm not 100% sure I've got everything that's necessary. Got nav, voice control, but I'm not sure that I've got the other hardware that's necessary - my options list shows nothing under the TCU entry. Sounds like that might be a dealbreaker? Is there somewhere specific I can check? The OP lists a MULF in the trunk, but I have no idea where in the trunk... or what a MULF is. :P

<- noob.

Anyway - any advice would be greatly appreciated. Just need to know exactly what to look for on the car to know that this is possible.

Thanks a bunch!

EDIT: I *do* have the USB port in the center console.
look inside your trunk. remove the huge cover in there and see if you have a module installed underneath which most probably will have since you have USB. See if you can find the words "M-ULF High" on the label on the side of the module. you will need to remove the 2 nuts holding on to the bracket to look at the module labels.

if you see those words, then what you need is the antenna and programming and you should have working bluetooth phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #32
planetscott
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Thumbs up

Just wanted to say that I successfully completed this retrofit this evening. Thank you so much for posting this, lazd. I've been wanting to do a Bluetooth retrofit for literally years and this has saved me a ton of money.

A couple notes on my car; I have a 2007 E90 335i with iDrive, 6FL, $640, etc:
  • I paid $45.54 (incl. tax) for the Bluetooth antenna from my local BMW dealership.
  • The wires running behind the glove box in my car were not yellow, black and clear. They were yellow, black and a very dark grey (which was hard to distinguish from black). Rather than pull all the cables out, I followed the steps in the diagram, moving PIN 4 to PIN 3, PIN 5 to PIN 1 and PIN 6 to PIN 2. The pins in the TCU harness were in the same locations.
  • I found it a real PITA to get the sides off the microphone connector behind the glove box.
  • I don't really have very much slack at all on the ULF connector after moving over the cables from the TCU. I'm hoping this won't be a problem if I try to retrofit Sirius later on...

I had done the real work of this retrofit a couple weeks ago. My K+DCAN USB cable just arrived today, so I made this my first coding task. It was as simple as adding $644 to the VO, doing an FA_WRITE on the CAS and NFRM modules. I then used the Expertmode profile to do an SG_CODIEREN on the 2MULF and CAPPL modules. Waited a couple minutes, then started the car and I was able to pair my phone. The coding did not take more than 5 minutes.

Thanks again!
      05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #33
07335aw
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Doing the retrofit in my e92 with voice command and prewired for Bluetooth. No mulf module or tcu in the trunk. do I need both of these to get Bluetooth working? What do each of these modules actually do?
Thanks in advance

Ok partially answered my own question. Found in technics thread that the tcu is also a telematics assist, whatever that means. So I can do it with one module or the other if I just want Bluetooth right?

www.streetsalon.ca
AST-SWIFT/Spacers/carbonleather/m3spoiler/35%tint/RE-11/COBB/bluetooth-retrofit/aerolip
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xiT

Just some feedback.

I have a Canadian 2008 328xi wagon, with USB. I added the antenna and microphone, coded for bluetooth and everything worked except for the microphone. It needed to be re-pinned by the glove box.

I did that tonight and the process was a *little* different than the write up. I needed to remove the whole glove box which did include the cup holders, but that was a very easy task.

Once I got to the white plug by the fuse panel, there were only 5 wires:
- yellow
- small black
- large black
- blue w/ pink
- blue w/ grey

The blue wires were pinned so they were actually connected, but the yellow black and black were in vacant spots when compared to the female side of the connector. The adjacent yellow and (smaller) black wires were the microphone wires, the large black was the shield. The shield wire goes to the opposing end from the yellow wire in the harness.

So I simply removed the three pins from the male side, yellow and both black. I tested the yellow and black by inserting them directly into the female side; it worked (without the third black wire).

I inserted those three pins into the matching slots on the male site, including that third black wire (which I think is the shielding), tested once more (good!) and reassembled.

Voice command and bluetooth now both work. (I didn't have voice command before obviously.)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #35
keith27ro
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw 335i

help,please

i can not remove the pins from the white connector behind glove box so i can rewired mic,also i only got 5 wires,yellow black,gray with stripe,no white wire
do i need a speeker or this retrofit will work trough my car speekers?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #36
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazd View Post
The retrofit was successful. I now have Bluetooth with excellent audio quality, parts in the stock location, and all of this with stock equipment and without splicing, soldering, or running any wires.

Thanks to Grant at detalADDICT and everyone whose post I cited above. I hope my post above helps someone else accomplish this retrofit!

Edit: Mod, please move this thread to the DIY section if it meets the criteria.
do you, or anyone has pictures how to remove the glove box?
      07-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #37
moreno1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07335aw View Post
Doing the retrofit in my e92 with voice command and prewired for Bluetooth. No mulf module or tcu in the trunk. do I need both of these to get Bluetooth working? What do each of these modules actually do?
Thanks in advance

Ok partially answered my own question. Found in technics thread that the tcu is also a telematics assist, whatever that means. So I can do it with one module or the other if I just want Bluetooth right?
If you need only BT then the Mulf module is sufficient and will do the job.
2009 335i E93 /// BSM /// Sport /// Premium /// /// 19" M pack 225 wheels /// M6 wheels winter set /// 35% Tint /// Gloss Black Grills /// PE Exhaust /// Lux H8 V3 /// Interior LEDs /// JB4-DCI /// Combox & CIC Retrofit /// M3 side skirts /// M3 front bumper ///
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #38
Al Pleske
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cabrolet

Great posting - I would like to try this on my 2008 335i convertible. I opened up the steering colum and the mics are missing even though the car has the phone prep and one BMW bulliten tells me they should be installed. Does anyone know if the wiring is in place in the colum?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #39
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pleske View Post
Great posting - I would like to try this on my 2008 335i convertible. I opened up the steering colum and the mics are missing even though the car has the phone prep and one BMW bulliten tells me they should be installed. Does anyone know if the wiring is in place in the colum?
the only way is to dig around to see if the factory has stashed the wiring somewhere in the steering column
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #40
Al Pleske
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Cabrolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoozee View Post
the only way is to dig around to see if the factory has stashed the wiring somewhere in the steering column
Okay I opened up the steering colum cover and taped up to the side of the wiring harness leading to the steering wheel I found a plug I think must be for the mics - it has two wires - a black and a yellow but like in previous psots there is also a clear associated with the mic in the the FDZ so I went into the trunk and looked at the TCU plug - there is a yellow wire in position 1 and a black in position 19 (I believe these are the mic wires at the colum plug) however in position 21 there is a brown wire - not a clear as in previous posts.

Are these one in the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #41
keith27ro
Rep

Retrofit done, install mic,Bluetooth antena, can not find anybody in north cal to programed
Help please!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #42
carlos916
Semper Fi
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 ///M5

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith27ro View Post
Retrofit done, install mic,Bluetooth antena, can not find anybody in north cal to programed
Help please!!!
sup man im from sac also and did the retro fit but couldnt find someone who does coding around our area.. but your best bet is to hit up Grant from DetailAddic and have him code it for you he is in the bay.. here is his info..
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534114

i have an appt with him to do this bluetooth coding but in case if u do find someone local let me kno! lol
      07-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #43
snoozee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Pleske View Post
Okay I opened up the steering colum cover and taped up to the side of the wiring harness leading to the steering wheel I found a plug I think must be for the mics - it has two wires - a black and a yellow but like in previous psots there is also a clear associated with the mic in the the FDZ so I went into the trunk and looked at the TCU plug - there is a yellow wire in position 1 and a black in position 19 (I believe these are the mic wires at the colum plug) however in position 21 there is a brown wire - not a clear as in previous posts.

Are these one in the same?
that should be the mic cable and plug you found. not sure about the brown wire in pin 21 on your TCU. but for MULF, pin 21 is for the shield so it doesn't matter if it's connected or not since pin 1 and 19 are the ones needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #44
keith27ro
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos916 View Post
sup man im from sac also and did the retro fit but couldnt find someone who does coding around our area.. but your best bet is to hit up Grant from DetailAddic and have him code it for you he is in the bay.. here is his info..
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534114

i have an appt with him to do this bluetooth coding but in case if u do find someone local let me kno! lol
ok,thanks
Appreciate 0