E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMW PE install question

07-27-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
BMW PE install question

Hello fellow BMW enthusiasts!

Being new to the forum I made sure to do some searches first before posting ... but I was unable to find what I was looking for.

I bought a 2006 330i with 55k miles on it last summer and have decided recently it was time to spice things up. I'm buying the BMW PE exhaust this week (from Tischer) and was wondering if there was a DIY guide for installation? (Thanks everyone for the informative discussions and dyno reports on many of the exhaust options out there)

I've searched the forums and can't seem to find anything. Is this because it's really easy to do and it's self explanatory? I'm new to this whole upgrade your bmw/car thing and my experience working on cars is limited.

With that said, I'm eager to learn and I have a lift and the tools to do the job, so any pointers or links to a guide I missed would be much appreciated!

- Thanks in advance! -
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Love The Drive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 MT N51

Hello, and welcome to the forums! This link should be pretty useful.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831146

Your going to love the sound of the exhaust

It's not the loudest as it is a tad difficult to hear all the music from the drivers seat, but it does sound incredible.
      07-27-2016, 11:53 PM   #3
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love The Drive View Post

It's not the loudest as it is a tad difficult to hear all the music from the drivers seat, but it does sound incredible.
Thank you for the welcome. I'm glad to hear this exhaust is well liked, it costs a pretty penny!

Thanks so much for the link, amazing guide!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
Black widow
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 | F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Curious View Post
Thank you for the welcome. I'm glad to hear this exhaust is well liked, it costs a pretty penny!

Thanks so much for the link, amazing guide!
I have few tips for you,

1. Get the mid pipe cut at the a muffler shop before you get under the car, they are super hard to cut.

2. when you are connecting the muffler and mid pipe with the clamp, make sure there's no gap in between, or else the muffler will look like its about to fall on the ground. like this
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #5
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black widow View Post
I have few tips for you,

1. Get the mid pipe cut at the a muffler shop before you get under the car, they are super hard to cut.

2. when you are connecting the muffler and mid pipe with the clamp, make sure there's no gap in between, or else the muffler will look like its about to fall on the ground. like this
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
jhah135
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

That diy says to cut 6 inches from cats but that was too long for my 2009 e90 so had to make 2 more PITA cuts. These pipes are super hard to cut like black widow says. Make sure you try to test fit for approx length or maybe measure from hanger to opening on mid pipe and cut that much off from stock pipes.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #7
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhah135 View Post
That diy says to cut 6 inches from cats but that was too long for my 2009 e90 so had to make 2 more PITA cuts. These pipes are super hard to cut like black widow says. Make sure you try to test fit for approx length or maybe measure from hanger to opening on mid pipe and cut that much off from stock pipes.
Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #8
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love The Drive View Post

Thanks again that guide was very helpful! You were right, for a daily driving car I couldn't be happier with the exhaust. I find myself not listening to music anymore because I'd rather hear the exhuast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black widow View Post
I have few tips for you,

You were right, everyone was right, that stainless steel piping was a nightmare. Used a regular exhaust pipe cutter and it was about as useful as a poke in the eye. (The kind that looks like it has a chain of cutting discs) Ended up breaking out a grinder which cut through it like butter. At the expense of a clean cut of course. Wish I'd of listened about getting the right cutter, that steel needs a harder cutting disc material than what I bought.

Anywho, exhaust is on and I was able to do my first DIY car project! Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions and help, was much appreciated.

- Cheers -
Appreciate 1