E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E91 audio upgrade with lots of pics: Mosconi, Gladen, stealth

07-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #67
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlondeFella View Post
IanS100 .. Did you use the Gladen harness? Also, .did you have any issues with the volume of your PDC or GONG.
Yes, the correct Gladen harness was used.

I adjusted the PDC & System bongs via the iDrive after which they were OK. IIRC bongs still seemed a bit loud but I guess I'm used to them now & they seem fine
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #68
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30d 2018

Quote:
I read that too somewhere( can't find it now) before buying my set up. I was told if you buy the harness though it wouldn't be a problem ...
Here's the link:
http://www.germaniks.com/speakers/gl...1-bmw-extreme/

The harness only goes between the HU and original speaker wires, it doesn't replace them so I can't see how that would solve the problem (if there is one).
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #69
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
I've just fitted the Gladen speakers and a Gladen amp (one of the cheaper amps I must admit) and for the money so far I'm not that impressed. Are you guys just powering the front doors and the subs or the rear speakers too? I used the Gladen quad lock wiring kit too. I also have somewhat of an annoying background 'hum' that I'm in the process of trying to locate. Any theirs have this issue, and if so how did you sort it?
I'm wondering if you have a 2 channel or 4 channel harness. You only need a 2 channel for the Gladen kit. Rear speakers will still be powered from the HU.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #70
Mr Singh
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330D M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
Here's the link:
http://www.germaniks.com/speakers/gl...1-bmw-extreme/

The harness only goes between the HU and original speaker wires, it doesn't replace them so I can't see how that would solve the problem (if there is one).
There not authorised to sell in the UK. And owner of Gladen just read that and
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 11:27 AM   #71
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E93 320i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Singh View Post
I'm wondering if you have a 2 channel or 4 channel harness. You only need a 2 channel for the Gladen kit. Rear speakers will still be powered from the HU.

I have the 4 channel harness ....is that why I have issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #72
KAL M4
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrap View Post
Cheers Am!

The only major thing that needs changing with the setup file is that it's configured for LHD cars. I'd be happy to share my amended version with time alignment and parametric EQs reversed. Is there any way of uploading the files to the forum?
Hi Andy,

I installed this kit in today and interested to know what settings you have used on the AMP.

I'm quite useless when it comes to understanding these setting, I would like to have a listen to the setting you have if you do not mind sending me those, also will need instruction on how to implement them.

Also does anyone know how to reduce the 'dongs' on the car? They are loud now!

Cheers,

Kal

Last edited by KAL M4; 07-11-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 03:20 AM   #73
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAL 335D View Post
Also does anyone know how to reduce the 'dongs' on the car? They are loud now!
Kal
Are you talking about the PDC the GONG or both? I have the same issues.

Do you have the basic professional HU (as I do) or something better?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #74
KAL M4
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you talking about the PDC the GONG or both? I have the same issues.

Do you have the basic professional HU (as I do) or something better?
I have the basic professional HU. Have you figured it out?
      07-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #75
TheBlondeFella
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
I have the basic professional HU. Have you figured it out?
No, not yet. Changed the amp and now there is no background noise. Looks like ill have to change the harness too though. Waiting for advice from makkan00 before I carry on with anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 05:19 AM   #76
KAL M4
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No, not yet. Changed the amp and now there is no background noise. Looks like ill have to change the harness too though. Waiting for advice from makkan00 before I carry on with anything.
Makkan (aka Sam) is a top bloke.

He helped me sort all my issues out yesterday! Your in good hands fella!
      07-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #77
106turbo
Boost Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 106 Gti T

I thought i posted in this thread already but i must have dreamt it! Anywhoo..

Ordered the gladen 201 kit with the 120.4 amp and harness etc from Monster Audio Design earlier in the week. Delivery is set for around early next week. Hopefully i'll have chance to get installation started next weekend (if my tweeter surrounds arrive from bmw). I've done a fair few basic installations in previous/mates cars but i have a few questions for those posting in here...

Do i require re-coding? (I have all the kit but dont know if its needed with this setup)

Are there specific routes for certain wires? Im guessing harness down the passenger side (Left), underseat sub speaker wire down the middle and front follow the original route? Oh and power goes straight from battery to amp which is all in the boot anyway.

Could someone with the same setup supply me with a file they have already created? Or do you have to set all the setting from scratch?

Any help in advance would be great! I cant wait to get the boggo stereo out and finally get a bit of bass in my life! Lets just hope i dont need another sub and amp in the boot! That combo in the classifieds is too tempting!

Cheers

Ollie.

Ps. 09 320d e91 if that makes any difference to the above questions

Currently 311bhp Atf.. Soon to be 300bhp Atw

E91 320D Workhorse
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #78
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

I've just fitted the gladen 201 kit and im very impressed, even with not touching EQ and playing around with xovers on my dsp.

Wiring wise, you want the harness and passenger sub down the left and the driver underseat down the right. For the underseats, if the original loom has 4 wires going into the connector you need jumper pins, if its just 2 wires you can just unclip and tuck it in. The fronts are dealt with by the harness. I'd suggest buying oem speaker adaptors so you can plug your gladens into the bmw plug.

Also you might need foam inserts. Mine didnt have space for the tweeter but you can buy them with the space already cut out from bmw. Or you can cut them yourself.

I used to have a fi audio IB sub and went with this route as it wasnt practical to have a sub in my new car. But i'm very happy with the bass output. Obviously they dont play as low as a 12" IB sub but from a bit higher they are very nice and play with authority.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #79
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Mob
Was this the Extreme version or the standard one?

I was trying to decide between these and the Jehnert Flatlines after deciding that buying Morels was too expensive (or too much hassle getting them direct from eBay in Israel). I'm planning on using a JL XD600/6 (to power the stock rears too, to avoid problems with the rear PDC volume).

It's good to hear that you're pleased with them, especially after having a more exotic setup in your previous car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #80
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Mob
Was this the Extreme version or the standard one?

I was trying to decide between these and the Jehnert Flatlines after deciding that buying Morels was too expensive (or too much hassle getting them direct from eBay in Israel). I'm planning on using a JL XD600/6 (to power the stock rears too, to avoid problems with the rear PDC volume).

It's good to hear that you're pleased with them, especially after having a more exotic setup in your previous car.
It was the standard 201 version, extreme seems good as well but was out of my budget.

Its a bit unfair to compare this to my previous set up as i had dedicated midbass drivers and a big beast of a sub in the ski hatch powered by a DLS A6. I would have used everything i had but for practical reasons i needed the boot space in my e92. But the gladen woofers play lower than i thought and have pleasantly suprised me. They obviously don't play the really low notes that the sub did. Lets just say that i don't even feel i'm missing anything, until i play a song with very low notes, which isn't much of the time anyway. Sorry i don't have a more accurate description of what really low is, i'm hoping to test them properly in the next week and get the lower frequency they can play to.

The upper range is also nice on the ears, the silk tweeters are definitely not too bright. I'm trying not to get too excited and will hopefully find out just how much better they are going to get after letting them break in and then EQing. I just want to play them as they are and let my ears get tuned to them.

I guess i was used to my jehnerts, which weren't designed to play under 80hz. They are a great option if you are planning on adding a sub.

I have no pdc problems and my rears are currently out of use (as i have no amp for them yet). I'm using a helix p dsp and included a rear channel HU output to sum, so my pdc is played on my front speakers. It's not loud, as some people have experienced, as the rear channel HU output (where pdc is outputted) amounts to just 25% of the total HU output used to sum.

Are you planning on a dsp at all, how much control would you want?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #81
Hopeful
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Not quite sure what the advantage of the Extreme version is anyway - is it just possible to play it louder? If so, the standard version would be fine for me.

I too am on a budget and wasn't planning on adding a DSP but was just going to get my CIC head unit recoded to HiFi.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:26 AM   #82
andyrap
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320D M Sport Plus

Quote:
Hi Andy,

I installed this kit in today and interested to know what settings you have used on the AMP.
Hi Kal,

PM me your email and I'll send you a link to my DSP config files. In terms of installing them, I found it impossible to get the USB connection working (it's an old interface - USB > serial - and it didn't play nicely on either of the laptops I tried it on). Only way I got it working (and much easier) was to use the Bluetooth connection kit. I'd bought this anyway at the time of the amp. It's not cheap at £30 and I think it's something Mosconi should either be including or offering much cheaper as the USB isn't fit for purpose. The bluetooth works great though.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 03:30 AM   #83
andyrap
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320D M Sport Plus

Quote:
I also have somewhat of an annoying background 'hum' that I'm in the process of trying to locate. Any theirs have this issue, and if so how did you sort it?
I had a really annoying background whine whenever the head unit was switched on. Nothing to do with engine noise as it did it without anything running. After a lot of email / phone diagnosis with Team SPB, Mr Singh and ultimately Gladen in Germany, I checked all power, earth points etc which were all fine.

I cured it simply by unplugging the harness from the back of the head unit, then reconnecting, making sure everything was tight and the cables weren't too bunched up. That 'solved' it for about a month, but it's back again now. When I get a second to take the head unit out again, hopefully that will fix it again. I suspect that the connectors in the harness aren't as tight as they could be and are introducing noise somewhere. It's the speaker > signal connection at fault I believe.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #84
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Hi there
Very nice write up. Makes me wanna do the same upgrade instead of installing L7 speakers and amp.

Did you use the 4 channel or 2 channel wireing loom for the amp?
And just for me to understand it, is it possible to get the amp to drive the rear speakes as well with the 4 channel loom?
And do you know in which side of the car the wiring from the amp is done?

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #85
KAL M4
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrap View Post
Hi Kal,

PM me your email and I'll send you a link to my DSP config files. In terms of installing them, I found it impossible to get the USB connection working (it's an old interface - USB > serial - and it didn't play nicely on either of the laptops I tried it on). Only way I got it working (and much easier) was to use the Bluetooth connection kit. I'd bought this anyway at the time of the amp. It's not cheap at £30 and I think it's something Mosconi should either be including or offering much cheaper as the USB isn't fit for purpose. The bluetooth works great though.
Hi Andy,

My AMP is not DSP so I cannot upload files to it as I have just figured.

Thanks for the offer though.

Kal
      07-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #86
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Not quite sure what the advantage of the Extreme version is anyway - is it just possible to play it louder? If so, the standard version would be fine for me.

I too am on a budget and wasn't planning on adding a DSP but was just going to get my CIC head unit recoded to HiFi.
More bass.

I have professional and havn't bothered with the coding.
I went for the 201 and I'm more than happy with the bass but if my budget would of stretched to the extreme than I would of got it.
I can recommend spb audio, he fitted the system and I'm very happy with the end product.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #87
106turbo
Boost Junkie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 106 Gti T

Schoolboy error on my behalf but i didn't realise there was a DSP and a none DSP 120.4 amp.

I have thr None dsp sat here. Will this cause issues. Am i going to have to code my head unit? Or buy a separate DSP? Got it all spread out infront of me in my bedroom. Cant wait to get it fitted! Hopefully bmw will have the tweeter pods for me at sytners tomorrow!

Currently 311bhp Atf.. Soon to be 300bhp Atw

E91 320D Workhorse
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #88
Shaun69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

You don't need dsp or coding but both option will give you better sound quality.
Appreciate 0