E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMS Dual Filter Intake System Review **WITH VIDEO**

06-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #1
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

BMS Dual Filter Intake System Review **WITH VIDEO**

I wanted to make sure I could give you guys a good fair and honest review of the BMS Dual Filter Intake, so for the record I have been running it hard for about a week or so. I was on stock intake for about 6 months, then BMS single intake for about 2 months, now the BMS Dual Filter Intake System. When I installed my BMS single I provided video and you have the same with this review. I drove over the same roads under the same conditions so you can get a difference between the two.

First, shipping was FAST. As always, Terry proves he is the king of customer service.

Next, the install is easy. I will say that you really need to make sure you install the intake piping as deep as possible into the stock intake hosing so you have more room to work. Make sure you do the front intake first. Finally, if you use a zip tie or a bread twisty then you can keep the wires near the back intake hosing out of your way making the install easier. The cowl can also get in the way, so slipping it off may be a good idea. Other than that, 15 minutes and it was done.

The filter quality is really very, very nice. I was even pleasantly surprised to see a velocity stack built into the base of the cone filters. There is debate here among the community as to the ultimate effect, but it clearly should provide less resistance for the air to get from the filter into the pipes. Nice addition BMS.

Finally, the performance. Having been on 3 intakes, I can give a decent comparison I believe. The adaptation process is nothing less than critical. You guys must remember we have an adaptive DME. Once you alter the amount of air reaching your engine a number of things can happen. The car will detect a leaner A/F ratio and it will start to add fuel which will result in your power increase. When the Short Term Fuel Trims are adjusting you can having some timing pulled until it fully adapts. Basically this means you could initially feel a power decrease immediately after the install, but don't worry.

After having it installed for a week now, I can definitively say a few things. The power down low is noticeable. I feel like I definitely get a faster spool on the turbos and basically that translates into greater throttle response. That is huge to me. The car clearly pulls better to redline as well. Is the difference up top huge? No, but it helps where the car used to try to slip onto its face a bit on the stock intake. I honestly feel this is the stronger choice in terms of power over the BMS single.

As for sound… The turbo spool sound is still dramatic. It has the high turbine whistle and is very addicting as everyone says. If you are a turbo fanatic, then you will 100% love the sound. Letting off the throttle hard in lower RPMs gives a very dramatic sound from the diverter valves, which is very nice too. Is it louder than the BMS single? I would say slightly in both turbo sounds and diverter valve sounds.

This whole hot air intake garbage is really funny. Increased air flow rules the roost on an intercooled turbo car. The intercoolers job is to cool the air and the stock IC does a pretty good job for a stock part. People like to throw mud, but the dyno's prove their purpose. Most of the highest HP N54s are on dual intakes and the fastest in the world is on a dual intake system. That says a lot.

Pros

1) The duals will handle large hp, so it is a nice investment down the road

2) Noticeable increase in turbo spool resulting in better throttle response

3) Greater pull to redline

4) Addicting turbine and diverter sounds

5) Engine appearance. Now it looks like you have twins

6) Price to value is beyond unbeatable

7) Very high quality filters with velocity stack

Cons

1. You may have to remove them if you don't want your dealer to see them.

I have to say guys this is truly a no brainer purchase for the price.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Great review, and nice video!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Are the couplers in the single Bms filter kit the same as the duals? Can one simply buy the dual cones if you already have the first gen intake?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Are the couplers in the single Bms filter kit the same as the duals? Can one simply buy the dual cones if you already have the first gen intake?
I am pretty sure they will fit, but I would have to check with terry.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
Yes you can. Actually I used the couplers from my single BMS intake and just installed the duals right onto the couplers. Actually, I removed the couplers and installed them on the filters first, then re-seated them on the stock intake hoses.

Last edited by Former_Boosted_IS; 06-25-2008 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #6
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Great review. My friend... is considering this or a DIY version for a first engine mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Great review. My friend... is considering this or a DIY version for a first engine mod.
Accel, your friend will be very pleased with the results.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Great review and video. I would say that the true sound is not done justice via a video cameras audio recording. It is much nicer in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Great, thanks! Mine should be here soon!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
ducati955
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: lifted tacoma on 38's & ducati

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
i just fkn got my single one, kinda pisses me off man... now i want this one... fk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we should get 50% off

o well

NEW RIDE white GTR!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #11
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
As for your con:

I went into my dealer with the dual cone setup (the vishnu one...but im not here to argue...i could care less b/w the two haha)

At first they looked puzzled, didnt say much...as I was leaving I had two techs come up and ask me to pop the hood again. I asked why and they responded with, "Want to check out your intake, looked cool"

So I popped the hood, and they oogled at it for a little, then told me they thought it was a good idea to help this engine breathe better and reduce some stress from the turbos. Gave me the thumbs up and asked if I would lay on it a little as I was driving off so they could hear the turbos spool.

Hooray dealer
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
This whole hot air intake garbage is really funny.
I've said this before...

Months ago (when the last wave of dual intake junkies popped up) I jumped on board. I was in the same mindset as you are now. Prior to the install I ran a few track events without issue. Then after putting the duals on I took my car to the same track, with the same gas and same weather, and it ran hot as hell and was a limp machine. After being told by several folks that the intake was a contributor, I took it off and went with UR. No problems after that.

Maybe it was a freak coincidence...but it got me to change over.

Also as mentioned before, the dual intakes have proved to be great in every other possible condition that I could put them through. My wifes 135 will be running the DIY duals with K&N reverse conicals since she wont do anything but drive to work and back haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
As for your con:

I went into my dealer with the dual cone setup (the vishnu one...but im not here to argue...i could care less b/w the two haha)

At first they looked puzzled, didnt say much...as I was leaving I had two techs come up and ask me to pop the hood again. I asked why and they responded with, "Want to check out your intake, looked cool"

So I popped the hood, and they oogled at it for a little, then told me they thought it was a good idea to help this engine breathe better and reduce some stress from the turbos. Gave me the thumbs up and asked if I would lay on it a little as I was driving off so they could hear the turbos spool.

Hooray dealer
hopefully they did not make a note of it in their records for future reference just in case something goes wrong with your turbos. Then they have somethign to blame you and void your warranty. In my opinion I would put the stock intake on each time you bring your car into the dealer. Only my suggestion though
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
Nah, they didnt seem to care a bit, this was after a free oil top off...

It was just two techs, and its pretty difficult to blame any turbo issues on an intake...I realize the intake assists the air flow to the turbos, but it would be a stretch on any manufacturers part to try to deny warranty service because of an intake. I used to have an rsx-s and returned the car to the dealer with intake b/c they asked me to leave it on. It would seem that of all the mods possible, this one is the least obtrusive, and being that it has nothing to do but provide for a bigger inlet for air...good luck trying to blame something on it, dealer didnt seem to care

**knocks on wood**

Last edited by Vudoo4u2; 06-25-2008 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
RiXst3r
Rep

It all depends how mod friendly your dealership is...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Any dynos for this yet...?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #17
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

Good writte-up...
Thanks

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #18
ChaneRZ
If You Aint First, You're last !!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i, 01 Honda Prelude

+1

08 BMW BSM 335i 6MT (Sports, Premium, NAV, PDC, AS, IPOD, HD Radio, Rear Sunshade, OEM Alarm) Angel iBright V3, Luminics Fog Bulb, Turbo Tuner, K&N Drop in Filter, Dinan Exhaust, Dinan Pedals, Vorsteiner CF Front Lip, and CF Rear Diffuser. Ordered:08/25/07 Started: 09/09/07 Finished: 09/14/07 On Ship: 09/15/07 Arrived: 10/08/07 Delivered: 10/10/07
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Ooooooo! (rubs hands together) I think I may have just found one of my next mods!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #20
RiXst3r
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSole View Post
Ooooooo! (rubs hands together) I think I may have just found one of my next mods!
still have room on thursdays shipment
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #21
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiXst3r View Post
still have room on thursdays shipment
Rixter....I want to buy this intake from you..but..

Can you explain WHY it is cheaper than the Vishnu dual cone intake? That's the only thing holding me back from buying yours. I don't understand what it is that makes it much cheaper, and I'd much rather spend the money and buy the quality product. You can PM me if you want.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #22
kiddo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

Do you hear the whistle when you have the windows closed? Is it noticeable when you have music on?
Appreciate 0