Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Which company delivers best quality CSL rims ?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
TigerDejan
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i Coupe

Which company delivers best quality CSL rims ?

so ? which company ... heard that VMR have good quality on their wheels ?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I like my Velocity Racing CSLs. Haven't yet bent one.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Next to the OEM BBS of course, Velocity motoring is the undisputed leader in quality and number of units sold. I would say that whether or not we sold them; it is a fact.
There are some other companies that make forged CSL wheels, so I guess you could put them up a little higher, but I don't consider that a real "CSL" wheel as the OE ones are cast.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
TigerDejan
Captain
Sweden
Rep

people here in sweden says that its bad quality on VMR CSL rims ...
what is forged csl ?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
CaliE90
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2021 M550xi  [0.00]
in my experiences, morr's or the vmrs are the best
      03-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
TigerDejan
Captain
Sweden
Rep

come on guys , i want to hear more of all you that has got CSL wheels ...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

When I bought mine from **********s, I asked whether they recommended the Miro or VMR ones. Their response is as follows:

"I do recommend one over the other, and that is the Miro CSLs because they have quite a bit of advantages over the VMR CSLs. They're more accurate in the design of the spokes to the real CSLs, they're lighter, better quality (in my opinion because it's VIA, JWL and ISO certified, whereas velocity is I believe VIA and JWL certified), same price as VMR CSLs, and they come in the perfect offset for the E92. What do I mean by perfect offset? The wheels will sit as flush as it can get without any fitment or rubbing issues! If I were you, I would go with the Miro CSLs with ET35 in the front and ET33 in the rear."

Thus, I went with the Miro's. Hope this helps!
      03-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Alufelgen is a new company on the block and will be releasing their CSL reps this week. They have made a significant effort to match OEM CSL wheels.

When it comes to quality of them, we will see when they are released. They are one to consider as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #9
Isaiah5411
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 328i E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
When I bought mine from **********s, I asked whether they recommended the Miro or VMR ones. Their response is as follows:

"I do recommend one over the other, and that is the Miro CSLs because they have quite a bit of advantages over the VMR CSLs. They're more accurate in the design of the spokes to the real CSLs, they're lighter, better quality (in my opinion because it's VIA, JWL and ISO certified, whereas velocity is I believe VIA and JWL certified), same price as VMR CSLs, and they come in the perfect offset for the E92. What do I mean by perfect offset? The wheels will sit as flush as it can get without any fitment or rubbing issues! If I were you, I would go with the Miro CSLs with ET35 in the front and ET33 in the rear."

Thus, I went with the Miro's. Hope this helps!
Have you seen both? I have had the VMs on my E46 for a few years now and have been happy with them except for the fact that the finish is relatively easily damaged when mounted and balanced. I went through a fair number of tire changes due to some faulty tires and the rims got pretty marked up, much more than an OEM rim would suffer from routine mounting/balancing.

I am wondering about the finish on the Miro's. Is it basically the same hyper silver or are the Miro's even brighter looking, as they appear in some photos posted? I am considering doing CSLs on my upcoming E92 and really want something less bright and closer to standard OEM color.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAg View Post
Have you seen both? I have had the VMs on my E46 for a few years now and have been happy with them except for the fact that the finish is relatively easily damaged when mounted and balanced. I went through a fair number of tire changes due to some faulty tires and the rims got pretty marked up, much more than an OEM rim would suffer from routine mounting/balancing.

I am wondering about the finish on the Miro's. Is it basically the same hyper silver or are the Miro's even brighter looking, as they appear in some photos posted? I am considering doing CSLs on my upcoming E92 and really want something less bright and closer to standard OEM color.
Needless to say, for $900 you're not going to get wheels that are as high quality as OEM. My Miro's get nicks and rashes very often too, even when I know I haven't done anything to warrant them like hit a curb or anything.

Miro's are hypersilver, and having seen both, I'd say they're darker than the VMR's. You really can't tell much of a difference though. If anything, I might say the VMR's are closer to OEM color, so maybe that's the route you might want to take.
      03-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Wait until AluFelgen officially releases their iteration of the CSL wheel and people give feedback on that. It looks to be the most accurate design so far.
      03-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #12
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Have you guys had any problems with bending? I'm kinda worried about the rough roads in Athens GA.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

The Morr VS7 are similar to a CSL wheel but with a more concave design (and at ~20lb/corner). I've driven them on some horrible roads for a few years now and they've been fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
Auto
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: MB CLS 63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDejan View Post
people here in sweden says that its bad quality on VMR CSL rims ...
what is forged csl ?
I've had VMR 19" CSL on my BMW and I from Sweden, the quality is superb.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto View Post
I've had VMR 19" CSL on my BMW and I from Sweden, the quality is superb.
Agreed. Velocity makes great quality wheels that have shipped around the world. This is a great example!

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
I'm sure that the fact that certain retailers were sitting on a full container (roughly 120 wheels) of MIRO CSLs had nothing to do with it - nor did the fact that the margins on the MIRO wheels is markedly better than the margins on VMR wheels (take it from someone who knows). I have to question motivations here.

We carry both the MIRO and Velocity lines. We recommend Velocity, and choose them exclusively for CSL wheels. Better finishes, the offset is a matter of preference, and I have yet to see a side-by-side comparison on the same scale of the same fitment wheel (not comparing a 19x8.5 MIRO with a 19x9.5 VMR, thank you) from an unbiased 3rd party proving that the MIROs are any lighter. Also, from my experience, VMR's customer service is unparalleled. The ONE wheel we've had with a slight defect went overseas, and velocity shelled out hundreds of dollars to send out a new one, 100% all expenses paid, via air freight! So yeah, we'll take a lower margin, because we'd rather be honest to our customers, and hope that they remember us next time they need something for their Bimmer.

Also, here's what's actually really funny about that statement... the claim is that the MIROs will come closer to the fender ("as flush as it can get") - but ET35 is actually LESS aggressive than ET33 - and is anyone here rubbing on VMRs? Not unless they're slammed and running 295's. So how are MIRO's more flush? That makes no sense, dude. Kinda makes you wonder how much of the rest of that quote is taking advantage of an information imbalance between customer and retailer. (Remember what I said about Margins?)

Actually, on that note... last I checked, VMR wheels are ISO, JWL, and VIA certified. But I might be mistaken. Either way, I challenge whoever told you that bit of information to tell me what either of those 3 means and why they matter - without a google search.

I don't mean to call out our noble competitors, though. Just clarifying. Glad to hear you're happy with your MIROs! They are definitely a quality wheel, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
lavetaaxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

morr
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Have you guys had any problems with bending? I'm kinda worried about the rough roads in Athens GA.
If you can bend them without driving up and down curbs, I will be incredibly impressed.

If you subject your car to the kind of force necessary to bend one of these wheels, you will have a whole host of more significant problems to deal with. They don't bend easily - trust me.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #19
kei169
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Maybe BMW itself!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #20
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

As far as offering the best quality CSL in the market we cannot claim that title yet since we are just getting our first production this month. What we can claim without a doubt is to carry the best quality replica wheels in the market overall. We have had several designs in the market for nearly 3 years without one wheel coming back to us because of finishing issues, bending, out of round or any other general issue. We have heard several issues regarding current replicas been out of round and easily bent which with the number of issues that we have seen on E90Post it is hard for me to believe they are in fact low pressure casting since they exhibit qualities of gravity casting instead.

Now any wheel could bent, have finish issues or be out of round as a defective product. What will define quality in that moment is the level of customer service you`ll get from the manufacturer. Most will ask you to send the wheel back for evaluation, while we'll simply send you a new wheel with a tracking number and ask you to send the other wheel back for scrap.

Since you are really concerned about quality just wait a few days until we do a full introduction of our CSL products and you`ll be more than satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #21
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
I'm sure that the fact that certain retailers were sitting on a full container (roughly 120 wheels) of MIRO CSLs had nothing to do with it - nor did the fact that the margins on the MIRO wheels is markedly better than the margins on VMR wheels (take it from someone who knows). I have to question motivations here.

We carry both the MIRO and Velocity lines. We recommend Velocity, and choose them exclusively for CSL wheels. Better finishes, the offset is a matter of preference, and I have yet to see a side-by-side comparison on the same scale of the same fitment wheel (not comparing a 19x8.5 MIRO with a 19x9.5 VMR, thank you) from an unbiased 3rd party proving that the MIROs are any lighter. Also, from my experience, VMR's customer service is unparalleled. The ONE wheel we've had with a slight defect went overseas, and velocity shelled out hundreds of dollars to send out a new one, 100% all expenses paid, via air freight! So yeah, we'll take a lower margin, because we'd rather be honest to our customers, and hope that they remember us next time they need something for their Bimmer.

Also, here's what's actually really funny about that statement... the claim is that the MIROs will come closer to the fender ("as flush as it can get") - but ET35 is actually LESS aggressive than ET33 - and is anyone here rubbing on VMRs? Not unless they're slammed and running 295's. So how are MIRO's more flush? That makes no sense, dude. Kinda makes you wonder how much of the rest of that quote is taking advantage of an information imbalance between customer and retailer. (Remember what I said about Margins?)

Actually, on that note... last I checked, VMR wheels are ISO, JWL, and VIA certified. But I might be mistaken. Either way, I challenge whoever told you that bit of information to tell me what either of those 3 means and why they matter - without a google search.

I don't mean to call out our noble competitors, though. Just clarifying. Glad to hear you're happy with your MIROs! They are definitely a quality wheel, too.
I hope that wasn't an attack of me! I can 100% understand where you're coming from, and can see the hidden motives in **********s telling me such information. I was simply passing along the information that they gave me, which I believed to be true, but apparently isn't necessarily so.

Since buying my CSL reps, I have come to discover that they are not the most honorable vendor out there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had other ideas than putting their customers 1st. Instead of making this a battle between JleviSW and **********s, let's just say that Miro's and VMR's both make quality replica wheels
      03-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #22
TigerDejan
Captain
Sweden
Rep

so how much will they cost ? and where are u located ?
Appreciate 0