E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)

Comment

Tutorial Tools Search this Tutorial
Built My Way's Avatar DIY Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission)
Built My Way
12-23-2012
DIY Water Pump & Thermostat Replacement (2007 335i w/Automatic Transmission) NOTE: This DIY may be used on other 335i model years and on xi models as well (part numbers may differ).

UPDATE (Feb 16, 2014): BavAuto has put together a great video of the procedure which can...
By mdevegas on 01-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Member reviews
Difficulty [ 1 = Difficult ]
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
DIY Clarity [ 1 = Not clear ]
20%20%20%
Average 20%
In the process of replacing my pump + thermostat on my '07 e92, everything was going smoothly until the re-installment of the thermostat.

I'm stuck on the larger quick-disconnect hose on the front of the thermostat...I can't get it to seat all the way on the thermostat. I have no idea what to do at this point since I can't move the hose and moving the thermostat isn't helping. Is there any pictures on how that fitting is supposed to be seated on the thermostat?
By Built My Way on 01-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdevegas View Post
In the process of replacing my pump + thermostat on my '07 e92, everything was going smoothly until the re-installment of the thermostat.

I'm stuck on the larger quick-disconnect hose on the front of the thermostat...I can't get it to seat all the way on the thermostat. I have no idea what to do at this point since I can't move the hose and moving the thermostat isn't helping. Is there any pictures on how that fitting is supposed to be seated on the thermostat?
Did you check to see that you have the correct thermostat? If it is the correct part, make sure nothing is obstructing the connection. Lubricate the o-ring on the hose with a bit of coolant. Normally you would shove the spring clip back down into the locking position before connecting the hose so instead, try pushing the hose onto the thermostat first before positioning the spring clip. Be sure the the locking notches on the thermostat line up with the clip.

The best picture I have is one titled Hose Connections (photo 10). See Hose #2.

You need to grab both the hose and thermostat at the same time. Not much room but it is doable. Not sure what else I can suggest.
By mdevegas on 01-26-2015, 08:15 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post
Did you check to see that you have the correct thermostat? If it is the correct part, make sure nothing is obstructing the connection. Lubricate the o-ring on the hose with a bit of coolant. Normally you would shove the spring clip back down into the locking position before connecting the hose so instead, try pushing the hose onto the thermostat first before positioning the spring clip. Be sure the the locking notches on the thermostat line up with the clip.

The best picture I have is one titled Hose Connections (photo 10). See Hose #2.

You need to grab both the hose and thermostat at the same time. Not much room but it is doable. Not sure what else I can suggest.
After reading the comments on the BavAuto videos, I put some oil on both the connections and managed to get it on there with the help of a screwdriver. Got everything patched up and done. Feels good to be done!
By rome5982 on 03-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Great thread, thanks for the DIY and the video link. Just finished replacing the thermostat (97K miles), 2007 E92 coupe. Going to wait and replace the pump in another year or two - or sooner if it fails. The only hard part was getting the clip connection hoses off.....that was a major pain in the A.......at least 1 hour for each of those two connections. Didn't want to break anything. Finally after wiggling and slow prying with screw driver I was able to get those off (very cramped spaces). I wound up removing the radiator fan/shroud assembly to get more space. Putting the new one in was a breeze, especially after applying some silicone to the housing fittings. Better than $1000 - $1400 cost from a dealer.
By igell on 03-17-2015, 01:58 PM
My 335 now has 80k.. I got the thermastat light so decided to do waterpump at the same time. I know there are are also 4 rubber hoses in the same location. Should I replace those as well, or should i just do the upper and lower rad hoses?
By Built My Way on 03-21-2015, 06:03 AM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by igell View Post
My 335 now has 80k.. I got the thermastat light so decided to do waterpump at the same time. I know there are are also 4 rubber hoses in the same location. Should I replace those as well, or should i just do the upper and lower rad hoses?
Are the hoses swollen or cracked? Remove the splash guard and take the car out for a run to heat up the coolant. Get underneath and squeeze the hoses while still warm. They should be firm. They shouldn't be hard or squishy/soft.

If the condition is difficult to diagnose then go ahead and get 'er done anyway. Hoses are not that expensive.
By agentkennethwang on 05-17-2015, 06:34 PM
I have a 2007 328xi and I'm in the middle of doing this now by following the Youtube video (
) and I'm stuck 6 minutes into the video. It's more difficult to follow since the car in the video isn't the exact same so I have to make modifications. 6 minutes in, the guy loosens the first hose which I'm having trouble doing. There is a big metal part that looks like part of the car's frame that is in the way of the hose. What can I do? Thanks!
By Saintor on 05-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Member reviews
20%20%20%
Cost [ 1 = Expensive ]
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Average 20%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Built My Way View Post

If the condition is difficult to diagnose then go ahead and get 'er done anyway. Hoses are not that expensive.
*Not my experience*.

My dealer called me back that I needed a new 516414 hose. 233$C (120US$ on realoem) + 1 hour.

Item #3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...55#11537516414

The worst part is that the stainless section (80% of the hose) was just fine; the swollen rubber section was only 3"....
Comment