E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How to do go about developing an app?

08-31-2016, 03:15 PM   #23
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I would talk to Aatish ... He's already taking meetings with people pursuing him with investment ideas...
PM with your proposal. He loves this. If it has anything to do with identifying when you are freindzoned, it is a shoo-in for moving forward.
      08-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #24
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I would talk to Aatish ... He's already taking meetings with people pursuing him with investment ideas...
PM with your proposal. He loves this. If it has anything to do with identifying when you are freindzoned, it is a shoo-in for moving forward.
I just pee'd my pants... Not in the - lost control of my bowels like ASBSECU E93 though...

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #25
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post

That's actually a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #26
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Ok, so connecting college students...kinda like Facebook/Tinder/Instagram?

Choose 3-5 major features or things you want this app to accomplish. Figure out a target market and platform. LOOK FOR COMPETITORS. See what those competitors are doing right/wrong and figure out a way to be different. Take all this and format into a nice document. Make a valid nondisclosure agreement.

As far as getting the actual app developed, no one will work for free, not even equity. Money is going to be needed. Outsourcing is ok, just make sure it's a good company. Domestic development is great, if you can afford it. All these guys are going to want to know what you want the app to be/do, hence the document.

A lot of business and engineering schools have programs setup for stuff like this. See if there is a program and enroll. Lots of kids do this, so don't expect much in the way funding, but make connections and learn from the experiences of others.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 04:10 PM   #27
rmizzle101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish
Ok, so connecting college students...kinda like Facebook/Tinder/Instagram?

Choose 3-5 major features or things you want this app to accomplish. Figure out a target market and platform. LOOK FOR COMPETITORS. See what those competitors are doing right/wrong and figure out a way to be different. Take all this and format into a nice document. Make a valid nondisclosure agreement.

As far as getting the actual app developed, no one will work for free, not even equity. Money is going to be needed. Outsourcing is ok, just make sure it's a good company. Domestic development is great, if you can afford it. All these guys are going to want to know what you want the app to be/do, hence the document.

A lot of business and engineering schools have programs setup for stuff like this. See if there is a program and enroll. Lots of kids do this, so don't expect much in the way funding, but make connections and learn from the experiences of others.
Features have been chosen. It's a completely different concept than instagram/facebook. & nothing like it has been done, I know that. Funding is no problem, I'm just not sure where and who to approach to turn my idea into a real life app. That's more of the problem.

Also not very familiar with a non disclosure agreement. I know what it is created for, however I've never had to use one.

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 04:18 PM   #28
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

[QUOTE=Mr Tonka;20496487]Step 1. (and this goes for any type of finacial advice, love advice, skunk advice, general advice,developing an app or a new product)

- Contact your favorite BMW off topic forum for advice.
- Win
- Profit.[/QUOTE

FWIW
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34184.50
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-31-2016, 04:25 PM   #29
Aatish
Lofty
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzinajdawi View Post
Features have been chosen. It's a completely different concept than instagram/facebook. & nothing like it has been done, I know that. Funding is no problem, I'm just not sure where and who to approach to turn my idea into a real life app. That's more of the problem.

Also not very familiar with a non disclosure agreement. I know what it is created for, however I've never had to use one.

Thanks for the input!
Non-disclosure agreements basically try and keep people whom you share your idea with from stealing it. I've signed a few of them over the past year; 3 weren't really valid. They aren't hard to create, just require some effort.

If you can self fund and have your ideas all down, try and find someone who's done this before and meet them in person. Your in school, right? Ask some professors, they're always great sources of information.

I've done this before. It's not an easy thing to do. But you learn a lot.
Appreciate 0