E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Guineapig for BSR Exhausts. E92 335i

10-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Panza
Metal Head
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thumbs up Guineapig for BSR Exhausts. E92 335i

I have been looking for an axle back exhaust forever, but being the HUGE tightass that I am, I refuse to pay the exhorbitant pricing of most locally sourced exhausts.

With my google-fu I stumbled across a Swedish manufacturer of exhausts/tuning products named BSR Tuning, the primarily make parts for Volvos and VWs, but have parts for BMW too..... Mmm turned out they had an Australian distributor in Sydney that wasn't too far from where I live, and they do a 335i exhaust for just under a thousand bucks!

I googled the SHIT out of them but could not for the life of me find a soundclip or review of their exhausts, which was a little concerning. I spoke to Cameron from BSR to ask him a few questions, and turns out he didn't know much about it either because no one had yet ordered one seeing as how new the BMW stuff was.. I told him my concerns about tone and volume, and how I don't like buying an unproven product, so we came to an agreement that if i didn't like it, I could hand it back for a full refund, he was that confident about the build quality of the hand welded stainless steel system..
I may have had to pay someone to TIG weld the stock system back together, but that never occurred, because, the system is pretty bloody good!

Now there is a caveat, it is DEFINITELY not a raucous, antisocial exhaust, in fact it was a little anti-climactic when I first fired it up. But you know what? I't's nice, real nice, especially with a thousand km under it's belt to break it in and give it a coat of carbon internally... Idle tone has deepened to a smooth baritone rumble, cruising along is barely noticeable, but when you give it a bootfull, it makes itself more known and gives a richer, slightly louder shout from the dual 100mm polished stainless tips. Also showing it's head more prominently is the sound of the turbos spooling, full disclosure, I have DCI intakes on my car so you can already hear it quite well, but it's that much more pronounced now. I know with any kind of exhaust on a 335i you're not going to get much of a power gain, but there is definitely a bit more urge with a slighly quicker spool-up in the mid to low rev range.

Please forgive my atrociously dirty car

Will be following up very soon with a video of a before an after, but having trouble seeing as it's been a bit windy recently and my phone has no protection from that wind noise...

Oh it comes with BSR Badges if you're so inclined too. And some lollies.. And a pen!

http://www.bsrtuning.com.au/

So yeah, in summary, great bloody value. Good quality product, non offensive sound, MUCH better looks, perfect fitment.

Pics

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

looks good buddy, now bring it down to wakefield next wednesday for some fun
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Panza
Metal Head
Rep

Hehehe if I could sneak away from work I totally would mate!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Interesting... Would love to hear this in person!!

The primary reason (for me) in the exhaust upgrade is pure sound, as you mentioned there are no gains to be had, so the sound is the only factor.

The design of this system looks common to what some Japanese brands use to design dual exhaust systems with the single oval muffler on the rear, I had something similar on my 350z from Fujitsubo which I subsequently changed to something different.

I'm personally in love with the BMW PE, but have not heard it in person. I'm looking for something rough and dirty to offset the refined BMW image.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Panza
Metal Head
Rep

Totally, if you want more power, you change the downpipe!
I'm in the middle of making a youtube video of before and after.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #6
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Btw, how can you be tight ass with those $400/year plates? Haha
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

how many holes are in those plates?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
Panza
Metal Head
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ink View Post
Btw, how can you be tight ass with those $400/year plates? Haha
Pretty tight seeing as it's a work car, and therefore paid for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
how many holes are in those plates?
Three cars with different mounting holes worth :P Been on a Single Turbo Supra, a Merc CLK55 and now this.

Just uploaded the video.. I wish the microphone picked up bass better than it does... Sounds a little underwhelming on that video, but here it is.

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

I find it hard to believe that a swiss manufacturer can manufacture & ship this system < 1K?!? Did it come in a flat pack and did you have to assemble it ala ikea style??

I swear my first meal I had in Zurich almost cost me as much as what you have outlayed for this system!?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Panza
Metal Head
Rep

Nope! Came in a big box, the canister part, the two pipes that connect to stock system, and tips all separately,connected all with clamps.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 05:34 AM   #11
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
Nope! Came in a big box, the canister part, the two pipes that connect to stock system, and tips all separately,connected all with clamps.
And its manufactured in Switzerland?! or a swiss tuning co who manufacturer in Asia?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
Panza
Metal Head
Rep

Sweden mate, read closer :P
But yeah made there, not China.
Appreciate 0